main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are these costumes "Jedi" enough?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by VaporTrail, Jun 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Eh. They've been training with these blades. I don't wanna switch on them when we're this close to filming.

And I've used PVC before.
    I hate PVC.

So this will do. Their fight is looking fine, so don't worry please. I can handle it, and so can my actresses.

-Vaportrail

EDIT: And it's not electical tape, it's hockey tape to give it the look of cloth.

2. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    AH HA!

Take a look at those pictures of Jake Lloyd and Ray Park on the TF.N homepage. Are those sabers not the same size (roughly) as mine?

Granted, they're not movie props, but still... same size.

::reaching::

-Vaportrail

3. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Well, those are Master Replicas sabers. And they look lots smaller than yours.

Neagh.

4. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Meh.

Mine will work.

5. Ephisus

Ephisus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    :-B *Ahem* According to the Star Wars: essential Guide to weapons and Technology, A typical lightsaber grip is 24-30 cm.

Personally, I don't think anyone should have a beef with a Jedi/Sith having whatever kind of lightsaber they have.

They're custom, that's the whole point... An experienced Jedi should have a lightsaber that most fits his fighting style after he's become an experienced fighter, i.e. Starting off with a regular saber to learn thier basics, and later making a more complicated, advanced saber, to grow with thier skill.

6. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Or just a freaking huge one.

:D

I'm just lingering on it, because they look exceedingly difficult to fight with. But if he says it will work, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

7. AzurePhoenix

AzurePhoenix Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2003
    You're not alone VaporTrail :).

The lightsabers I'm using have fairly thick blades too since I'm using sticks of rattan. There... you're not the only one...

Now you be nice Funk-E ;)

8. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    My lightsabers are exactly 30 cm long. They therefore fit the "requirement" lol.

Funk-E, just trust me. They work. If they were cumbersome, like the PVC was, we wouldn't use it.

-Vaportrail

9. Ephisus

Mar 30, 2003
    I want to see a lightspear.

a long bendy staff with a lightsaber tip.

Some good old Donnie Yen spear style Jedi fighting a group of Sith.

I'm sure Spiff would agree with me.

10. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Heh, I'm not about to create a new "light weapon". Old school single-bladed lightsabers are my preference.

-Vaportrail

11. Ephisus

Mar 30, 2003
    See, here's what I would do....

As in Kenshin, you have you're main character who is ALL about the Traditional Weapon, in fact, you take it away from him, and he's pretty helpless.

Then you've got a whole myriad of Bad guys who have all of these exotic weapons, which, are very effective against your average swordsman, and they are quite skilled with them.

Then suddenly you're fights turn into -how- will the traditional swordsman defeat this rash new exotic weapon.

Then when you have a bad guy that actually uses a normal sword, well, then it's fight time, we all know that this guy is serious, and it makes him a kindred fighter with our protagonist, a difficult adversary-

twould be awesome.

But ah- otherwise, There's a range of weapons that are still classic, that aren't swords.

Escrimas, or like... short blades, or maybe a shield style,... Or maybe a much longer one made for rapier-style punchering wounds.

12. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    That sounds a little.. Kill Bill melee.

Nope. Ain't gonna do it. But I have plans, just you wait.

-Vaportrail

13. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    ::bump::

I'll have some updates soon. I'm working on the poster. We film in 8 days.

I'm stoked.

-Vaportrail

14. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Alright, here's the poster for Vehemence. It's not done yet.. there will be a little picture of the fighting in the bottom right corner, but I couldn't wait to show off this poster. I think it came out really well.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/Booka/Star%20Wars-related/poster2small2.jpg]

-Vaportrail

15. Thrice3

Thrice3 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 24, 2004
    I looks good, very nice, but the only thing I would do is round the edges a bit on the saber, its too squarish. Good stuff though!!

16. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Hey, how did you get Seth Green in your fanfilm ;)

17. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    That's not Seth Green, that's an African-American woman.

18. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Well, this could probably be the high point of Seth's career, so how could he resist, you know?

And I'm not changing the saber, sorry. If you look at the LARGE version (we're talking thousands x thousands of pixels here), it's not rounded. I traced her hilt precisely.

Boo ya.

-Vaportrail

19. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    This should make you happy, Funk.

We were practicing Vehemence today, and the girls were getting so into it and going so fast that they kept breaking the blades.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/Booka/Star%20Wars-related/brokenheirloom.jpg]
    To put it in perspective, O'Hern and I broke 2 blades in the whole time we practiced and filmed Furious Angels.

So when we ran out, we scrounged around my garage for anything we could use to make new blades (being too worn out to go to the hardware store for more inefficient dowels), and we found these old rakes with all the teeth broken off, or just missing the rake-head entirely. Not only are they the strongest dowel shaped wood I've ever come across, but they are 3/8 of an inch thinner.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/Booka/Star%20Wars-related/oldnnew.jpg]
    It doesn't sound like much, but it looks a lot better.

Ahh, adventures in lightsaber blades...
    -Vaportrail

20. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    They wouldn't be breaking them if they were thinner dowels.

Now, I know that sounds strange, but trust me--the lighter the blade, the more control they can exert, and they can pull hits without looking like that's what they're doing, especially with such long hilts.

Neagh.

21. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    How exactly does one "pull" a hit?

I never learned that.

22. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Really?

Well, pulling, in its simplest form, is just reducing the force of a strike or stopping it immediately before your target right before the strike. There's a technique to it, and it takes forever to make it look good, but if you can teach it to your actors, you'll spend lots less on broken dowels, and you'll be able to do more with hand-to-hand combat stuff as well.

23. WeirdHat

WeirdHat Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2003
    In the middle of this video of various stuff at Fanzillacon is a short clip of Ryan and Dorkman explaining it.

24. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Wow..

I like their little bit of fighting at the end, but the advice was helpful too.

Wish I could've seen that in person.
    ::snap::

-Vaportrail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.