main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Are these technologies in the Star Wars galaxy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Max Nocerino, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [​IMG]

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    and that is?

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    He is Galak Fyyar from Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, and don't forget about the Dark Trooper Phase II and III, which can both double as powered armor.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I understand why, at least for the helmet, jetpack, and gauntlets, but the rest of the gear isn't "powered" per se. For example, the breastplate is just a breastplate, nothing more. To me, "powered armor" means something like Mjolnir Spartan armor, with full-body energy shields that also enhances your strength.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I tend to think of it as more Starship Troopers (novel) version- a mass of sensors inside the armour - as the body moves - the sensors feed the info to the armor and the armor moves the same way:

No energy shields needed to enhance strength.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_armour

I find it amusing that one of the real-life makers of exoskeletons is called Cyberdyne.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    There's plenty of powered armor - most advanced armor in Star Wars, including Clone Trooper, Stormtrooper, and Mandalorian armor is at least partially powered. We don't see much heavier powered armor because apparently the economics of increased armor versus reduced mobility compared to the weapons systems of the GFFA simply don't work out (the GFFA is full of heavy weapons that have a lot of trouble hitting small fast things but smear armored things)

We don't see any true 'mecha' because there's no reason for it to be there. Large humanoid combat machines have weight-bearing issues. Tracked vehicles or many-legged quadrupedal or spider designs make more sense, Star Wars has these in abundance. Likewise, it has short-range walkers, such as the AT-ST for close-quarters combat where useful. The AT-ST is a mech without the largely useless arm appendages. There are also large droids of humanoid form, such as the SD-series of combat droids.

Realistically, Mecha are actually kind of stupid. There's no reason to impose a humanoid form on something that's too big to take advantage of that form's utility in navigating a human-designed environment. Mecha look cool, but something like the AT-ST has almost all of their advantages - tight turning radius, turreted weapons for enhanced coverage, walking motion for terrain navigation - without a bunch of unimportant stuff tacked on.

Abadacus and Iron_lord like this.
  8. IcePirate

IcePirate Jedi Master star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    mecha: Dark Trooper Phase 3

9. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Would the AT-PT count?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  11. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    Sure. The Z6 tends to go off accidentally when hit by a blind man swinging a staff while the JT-12 tends stop working just when a bounty hunter needs it most.

12. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    To be fair, that was AFTER a Reek used the thing and the attached Bounty Hunter as a soccer-ball.

And concerning the one going off accidentally, it has to be easily reached and activated to serve as an escape-mechanism. Imagine the thing needing half a minute to go off, when an angry Jedi approachs you with his lightsaber. ;)

Jedi Princess and Rogue Five like this.
  13. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    What are the Vegas odds on the Reek to win the World Cup?

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen droids that have been mae to be very human (or other lifeform) like but with enough clues to show you that is a droid?

15. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Other than a Human-replica droid?

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They are the reason I said "but with enough clues to show you that is a droid" since you need special equipment to know if a human-replica droid is a droid.

17. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Like one of these? That's the closest thing I can think of.

Gamiel likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think I am looking for something just above a betty droid but below a human-replica droid.

vstarvan likes this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    An outdated human-replica droid :D

Gamiel likes this.
  20. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Planet of Twilight had such human-like androids as servants and sex-slaves. They were easily recognisable by their lifeless eyes, but otherwise appeared almost completely human IIRC.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Regarding lightsabres the wook' says
    and I was wondering how this go togheter with Qui-Gon's door "opening" in the Phantom Menace.
    begins at 6.00 below

If the electromagnetic field caused resistance when it hits dense material would he not be unable to put his 'saber into the hilt in the door after the security doors slamed down?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.