main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Are these the 3D movies we are looking for?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Varekeii, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varekeii

Varekeii Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2006
    I just heard this morning on the radio that George Lucas is rereleasing all six Star Wars moies in 3D. Episode I will be released in 2012.

2. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah to say I'm excited is an understatement, I cannot wait! It's going to be AMAZING!

You remember those Special Edition ads, like if you've only seen the movies this way (on a TV screen), you haven't seen them at all? Well, they can bring back those ads, if you've only seen them in 2-D, you haven't seen them at all! haha.

3. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    Well, they'll either be fantastic or awful. Phantomn Menace is going to be the first one and that's a lot of fans' least favorite of all six movies.

But, heck! I'm going to make a point of seeing them in 3D if I have to move Ryloth and Mustafa to do it.

4. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Did you see that on some of the news article comments for the 3-D films, there are all of these idiots like, "Oh Lucas is just trying to milk more money out of the same franchise, blah blah, he should do something different, he's a hack, he has no talent, he hasn't done anything original in 30 years."

The funniest part to me is that not one of those people has anything even resembling a life, or any sort of accomplishments at all, and NO right to criticize Lucas. I bet not one person there has achieved anything notable or will be remembered more than 15 minutes after they die, because let's be honest even now nobody knows or cares who they are. So to criticize Lucas for being a businessman and an innovator is just hilariously inept and makes you wonder, who ARE these people?! If David Fincher wanted to comment, fine, but when Joe Blow in Missouri wants to say how Lucas is a hack who has no original thoughts, well that's just a joke and a half.

Oh well, I don't care about the detractors, it's going to be amazing seeing the films in 3-D, again and again, and if someone wants to skip that, I feel sorry for them honestly. But to each his own!

5. GFORCE13

GFORCE13 Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    For me it depends on which 3D format? Also will believe it when I see it, since It was orignally promised in 06.
    IMAX accept no Substiute

6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    No, it was never promised in 2006. It was discussed at ShoWest by Lucas in 2005, there was no release date ever attached nor any promise for them to come out at that time. It was merely speculated by fans online.

This is an official Lucasfilm announcement, so believe it. And I'm sure they'll do a great job, because they are taking the time to do it right, so it'll be a worthwhile conversion. Can't wait :)

7. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    George?! Money hungry?! Noooooo! LOL. I'll see them anyway. Bowen, you're kind of right there. It's like saying any business man is money hungry. Lucas has a product we love. We go buy it. Why is there a moral conundrum about that? It's not like he's forcing us to buy his product and it's not like he has a monopoly on sci fi.

8. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    There are some things that businesses do that rightfully tick all of us off, when it comes to money-hungry. I'll give you an example -- not to beat the heck out of a sacred cow, but this one is worthy -- and that's our other favorite fantasy saga, Lord of the Rings. I'm sorry, but releasing Blu-ray discs with just the theatrical versions when we all bought the Extended Editions, and we all know they're going to release those to Blu-ray down the road, that's just a cheap shot. I badly want the Blu-ray LOTR movies, but I am not going to buy incomplete, partial versions of the films. I already have the EEs on DVD, so why would I buy these bare-bones Blu-rays? It's just bad business. At the very least you can release this set, let fans know when to expect the next versions, and let the make up their own minds.

But re-releasing the Star Wars movies in general is a treat to fans. It doesn't have to be seen as a money-grab. Needless to say, Lucasfilm wouldn't do that if it were a bad business move, if they thought they'd lose money on them, but I don't see how that automatically makes it some horrible, sinister plan, haha. I mean it seems that people are just way too cynical now days. Should I not have been excited about all of the features and power on my new Camaro 2SS because GM is making money on me? I don't care, they are a business, I want them to make money for a job well done. But I also benefit by the great vehicle they created that I bought. That's kind of how it works in this country! You make a product or offer a service, and if it's good enough then we, the consumers, buy your product or service and you hopefully continue improving it or making new ones.

Anyway, I personally see it as an awesome opportunity and a gift, to be able to see the Star Wars movies again in theaters, and in 3-D, what an awesome opportunity! And for me, this is my team, just like the Yankees are my baseball team, I want them to win, and that means making a lot of money. In the same way that I like to support my sports teams by buying merchandise, tickets, etc., I like to see Star Wars win at the box office. So if anything, for me, the more Lucasfilm makes and the more the movies make, the prouder I am of the franchise and its continued staying power. I'm rooting for Lucas to make as much money as possible. But that's also because I enjoy other peoples' well deserved success, whereas I get the impression a lot of people are jealous of success and it bothers them that someone else could be making tons of money. When it comes to something I really dislike, ala Lady Gaga, yeah it doesn't make me too happy. But when it comes to something I love like Star Wars, well, go team! lol

9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Were I to ever invest in LotR on Blu-Ray, I'd pick theatrical over extended if had to choose as theatrical is also the version I have on DVD.

10. GFORCE13

Jul 12, 2007
    Well for me there is only the SE's, except for the orginal theatrical viewing that is all l own & have seen. So as before waitng for the SE BD's to come out. Plus for now enjoying my SE DVD's Upcoverted & DTS-ES6.1 isn't so bad' just praying that when they do, they are in 7.1 lossless audio asit should be.

11. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    OK, I just heard that Harry Potter, Deadly Hallows Part I will not be in 3D after all. My wallet just smiled.

12. GFORCE13

Jul 12, 2007
    Are you sure? Since there is an Imax in texas that is doing a 12:01 in 3D.

13. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    No, I'm not sure. It was on the News. If it's in 3D, my wallet will just have to deal with the pain. Besides the fact that I really want to see this movie, I haven't seen you guys in months. So, I'm really looking forward to this.

14. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    Sorry for the double post. But, I saw the HP trailer on TV last night. They advertised that the movie would be in IMAX, but not 3D.

15. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    For me, the re-releases for home viewing and now the 3D theatrical releases are kind of fun. As my sons get older we can enjoy them together. Due to age and release dates I was only able to have a star wars theatre experience with the Clone Wars. Now, I can do TPM with boy my boys and so on. I'm sure money has something to do with it, he is running a business. However, it also ensures the cross generational successs it has had and will no doubt continue to have.

16. Varekeii

Jan 26, 2006
    Tron's coming in December. It is a 3D movie. Maybe we could find a theatre that's playing it in 3D, but doesn't have assigned seating. Then we could make our plans, buy our own tickets and still, hopefully, all sit together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.