main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are these the prequels YOU expected?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CompletedCircle, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CompletedCircle

CompletedCircle Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    We all know GL will defend his stories by saying theyre HIS but are these the prequels that were so longed for? I mean, the hype has certainly dropped since TPM opened with lukewarm reviews and AOTC hardly helped...

Is this the prequel trilogy you thought it was going to be? I think its better than I could imagine in some areas(light saber duels) and very lacking in others(likeable characters)...

2. BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge

BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
  3. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    actuly the hype for ROTS is more now then for AOTC

4. TheDarkSide115

TheDarkSide115 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    I didnt know what to expect, but these prequels exceeded all my expectations :)

5. CompletedCircle

Mar 10, 2005
    this forum stinks when it comes to posting...

Every question I have, I have to search through craploads of pages to see if someone else posted it months ago...then I got this guy telling me about threads I had no idea existed...

6. THX-1138_biggs

THX-1138_biggs Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2003
    Did you NEED to make this thread?

7. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    Well I like the PT alot, but that is because I was in the 4th grade when TPM came out and became an instant fan, after I saw that I rented the OT and became a bigger fan, so since I saw the TPM first I am a PT fan. I can see what the OT/origanal fans are talking about but the generation gap is what is dividing the PT fans and the OT fans.

8. CompletedCircle

Mar 10, 2005
    I hoped that the f/x wouldnt be so heavy...but GL is an innovator...

9. jakbar316

jakbar316 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    Yep. I agree man. That's why I never start threads.

10. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    thats just how they are

11. TheDarkSide115

TheDarkSide115 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    I saw the OT when i was like 4 years old, to be honest....when i saw the emperor as a little kid for the first time.....i ran out of the room

12. CompletedCircle

Mar 10, 2005
    Yea the emperor does resemble Linda Blair alot...scary stuff...

13. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

"Well I like the PT alot, but that is because I was in the 4th grade when TPM came out and became an instant fan, after I saw that I rented the OT and became a bigger fan, so since I saw the TPM first I am a PT fan. I can see what the OT/origanal fans are talking about but the generation gap is what is dividing the PT fans and the OT fans."

Bravo=D=

That is the most intellegent and open-minded post ever written by someone who became a fan not too long ago. Good show. I will watch your career here with great interest.

14. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I expected the prequels to be about Anakin Skywalker's decline to the dark side, so... yes. yes they are.

15. LordRevan19

Mar 26, 2005
    Finaly a positive reply, thanks NeoBaggins.

16. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    Your welcome.

I expected the prequels to reflect the backstory discribed by George Lucas and implied in the Original Trilogy. To my surprise the story did not begin with a relationship between Obiwan and Anakin. Oh, well.

At this point it doesnt even matter. Bring on the saber fights and special effects show baby!!!

May19th 2005

17. DarthSickboy

DarthSickboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2003
    When I first heard about the era they would be dealing in(circa 1996) I assumed Anakin would have been about Luke's age when they found him,but I think for it's purposes Lucas got it right( despite what the bashers have to say).His whole thing with this trilogy has been showing how a person can so easily lose their innocence in the face of adversity, and had my initial theory been correct, Anakin would have been well past the age of innocence.

18. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003

So, you started out as a "basher" and then you saw the light?

19. LordRevan19

Mar 26, 2005
    Exactly, Darth SickBoy

20. Count_Scaramanga

Count_Scaramanga Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2002
    The prequels have met my expectations. Great special effects, great action sequence, good story. Also, most of my questions have been explained.

A number of people bash the PT for various reasons. However, in many aspects, they are better movies than the OT. If TPM had come out in 1977 people would have been freaking out, more so than they did with ANH! The opening sequence of TPM is still one of my favorite StarWars moment.

For me Star Wars has been an acquired taste. I still remember being initially bored by two robots walking in the desert, being captured by little kids with flashlight as eyes going who knows where... I still remember thinking that Ewoks were so lame. However, the more I watched the movies, the more I liked them...

Aside from a few weak points in the PT (Pod Race being too long, fart joke, Portman's acting, weird editing during Dooku's fight), the experience has been quite thrilling and has made me appreciate the entire Saga even more. For that reason alone, the PT has met my expectations...

21. JediMaster77

JediMaster77 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Well, I actually find the PT to be more to my liking. Don't get me wrong, the OT is awesome, it just doesn't have something the PT has.

I was in 4th grade when I was first introduced to Star Wars. It was when the OT Special Edition came out. I saw each one in theaters because my dad said they were movies I needed to experience. (He's not even a big Star Wars fan). I was hooked after that. I bought the toys and watched the movies constantly.

I was not that good with community based websites at the time, so I heard little of the PT. When I found out TPM was coming, I was very excited. I saw it opening day, and was dumbstruck. It was awesome. I connected on it so much more than the OT because it seemed more modern and had very well thoughtout characters. I could tell this was going to be my favorite of the trilogies because it was the one of my generation.

I think the thing that pushes me into liking the PT more is the fact that it is our generation's Star Wars. The older people that were around when the OT came out cling to that one because it was their generation's Star Wars. They are both awesome and liked by everyone, but I think it comes down to the young vs old thing again. Just my insight, I know a lot of young people still like the OT better, but I find the generation theory relevant.

22. DarthSickboy

DarthSickboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2003
    No I was never a basher,did I think that perhaps there must have been better takes than the ones the used (ie some of Jake Loyd's cringe inducers in TPM) sure but overall I'm just pleased as punch that we got more star wars.

23. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    The only thing I expected was for Lucas to tell his story his way, just like he did with the OT.

The PT is beyond my wildest imagination of what it could be.

24. rbush

rbush Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2005
    i like the pt,, i just wish it had some continuity of evil characters. maul should have survived all 3 episodes.... imagine maul in dooku's place if GL didnt kill him off in tpm....pt would be so much cooler

25. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    If TPM had come out in 1977 people would have been freaking out, more so than they did with ANH!

You can say that again. Computer graphics were not even close to that level back then. It would have been like the coming of the Antichrist to see such smooth and wonderful 3D animation in a time when chroma key still left something to be desired. I mean, how fake did superman look flying in the sky in 1978?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.