main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are these TPBs one and the same?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BobaKareu, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    I'm looking into getting the 7 Marvel TPB's of the old Star Wars comics, as Lumiya is in them and I'd like to get a better sense of her before the LotF series. However, I've also found some other TPB's that look very similar to the Marvel style and I'm not sure if they're the same stories in a different collection.

The books in question are:

"Classic Star Wars: In Deadly Pursuit"
    "Classic Star Wars: The Rebel Storm"
    "Classic Star Wars: Escape to Hoth"

I think those are the only three collections. Any help would be appreciated, and if they are different, are they worth picking up?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    They are different, and they are worthwhile. A little dated, but still some of the most fun comics around.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think the comics in the three TPBs you list originally appeared in newspapers, so they are different than the Marvel TPBs. I have all of them and I think I enjoyed the Marvel ones more, especially the parts with Fenn Shysa.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The regular Classic Star Wars series reprints the newspaper strips (which had significant events such as the evacuation of Yavin IV and the debut of the Executor). There's actually a fourth volume titled "The Early Adventures" also.

The "Classic Star Wars: A Long Time Ago" series are the Marvel volumes. Lumiya/Shira, I believe, is in 5, 6 & 7.

Personally, I found the CSW series to be much much better than the Marvels eries.

5. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Those are not the same. Those three reprint the Archie Goodwin / Al Williamson run of the newspaper comic strip. There is also another TPB "Classic Star Wars: The Early Adventures" that reprints more of the newspaper comic strip.

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    The only question even worth considering is...*WHY* haven't you yet bought these three collections?

Some of the greatest Star Wars stories ever created -- and these guys in here can tell you how fanatical I am about these -- you'd be doing yourself a severe disservice as a fan by not exploring these; the Goodwin/Williamson newspaper strip run was a knockout and an ass-whooper, and damn near glorious at times.

7. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    Haha, well until I actually sat down and researched it today, I was under the impression that they were the Marvel comics. Since I should be getting them for Christmas, I figured I'd wait. But the comic shop down the road has at least the first two volumes, so I'll probably pick them up Sunday, granted that there is time before the Redskins play.

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

To balance the other side of the praise, they may contain traces of antiquated artwork and wacky storylines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.