main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Are they a Vader or a Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Dark Ferus, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I've seen several threads where it is debated whether Palpatine should be a cartoon villain or with more depth added. That made me wonder which Star Wars villains are more dimensioned (Vader is an obvious one) and which are more one dimensional, cartoon like. Share your thoughts here.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I would completely disagree with Palpatine being seen as a 'cartoon villain'. He has as much depth, if not more, than Darth Vader.

The philosophy underpinning the Galactic Empire is a complex array of military might and psychological subjugation: only the most twisted scholarly mind could create such oppression. Palpatine is the sole reason the Empire exists, it is controlled by his will. This in itself is complex and very political.

We see Palpatine as this evil leviathan of power, despite this, his past is unlike the typical fairytale villain upbringing. We know that Palpatine came from an aristocratic family that hailed from an opulent world. The dichotomy between the two is unparalleled in the Star Wars universe.

Finally come Palpatine's machinations. Playing a facade of a gentle and compassionate politician; yet wielding the most destructive powers ever seen. He's slowly breaking the galaxy and reassembling it to how he sees fit. Whilst simultaneously gaining the apprentice he has always wanted, using and planning the death of his current apprentice, and finally, the death of the Jedi Order.

Palpatine- The most multidimensional character.

HevyDevy and Lulu Mars like this.
  3. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    Palpatine pulls puppet from behind. He tricks people. He's a mastermind. He could use people for his own benefits. And he let Vader and other people do the dirty work. But he must have also done cruel things. Vader described him in RoTJ that "The Emperor is not exactly as forgiving as I am"
    Yes, excatly this

Darth Formidious likes this.
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    gg is a cartoonish villain and it's great. he's a great general and loves to tell everyone about it but won't hesitate to run from battle in order to survive. he's a great warrior but he's also a coward who only thinks of himself. he's more of the mustache twirling type of bad guy who tells you his whole plan.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That's a character that's very
    -intelligent
    -calculating
    -adaptable
    -manipulative
    -deceitful

Not multi-dimensional. Multi-dimensional means personality, inner-conflict, etc.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  6. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015
    All that does require a multi-dimensional aspect. That essentially defines his personality; he is more than evil. Read the Tarkin novel and you will find out about the Emperor's end goal: more complex than any characters'.

I can't understand how anyone could dismiss this, so my question to you: Why do you think the Emperor is not multidimensional?

HevyDevy likes this.
  7. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Grievous is very much a cartoon villain. Unfortunately, he's not a very good one.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    For the reasons I already described. His personality and goals are not complex, even if his schemes are. He's more archetype than person, even more than your average Star Wars character. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I like him the way he is.

DarthCricketer and jakobitis89 like this.
  9. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Palpatine is about as one dimensional as Grievous. He really is basically a pure evil bad guy doing evil things evilly for evil reasons. It's just the archetype he happens to personify is a more cerebral chess-master manipulator and schemer than Grievous' dirty-coward brute characterisation. Palpatine's schemes are multi-dimensional in that he is accounting and planning for multiple eventualities at most points, but Palpatine himself has no depth at all. He wants UNLIMITED POOOWWWAAAHHHH and gets it by trickery instead of brute force.

Ghost and DarthCricketer like this.
  10. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015
    I think we will have to agree to disagree on this, I will always think of Palpatine as the most complex character in the saga. I have read and looked into him too much to dismiss this analysis. I hope you also come to realise this and reconsider your assumption. ;)

HevyDevy likes this.
  11. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    I have considered it I assure you. But just because he plays the role of benevolent Chancellor of the Republic and Wise Uncle to Anakin does not mean he is ever actually either of those things. They are just roles he plays to get what he wants, which is power. Taking ultimate control of the Galaxy is literally the only thing he truly cares about, he uses people and then gets rid of them the instant they are no longer useful - Dooku replaces Maul, was replaced by Anakin, who would have been replaced by Luke if Palpatine had succeeded - like I say, means to an end, and no more.

And as for his background, well... 'evil aristocrat' is at least as old as Shakespeare and probably around a lot, lot longer than that as a literary archetype and certainly in real life.

His plans are complex. His character is not.

12. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
  13. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    A summary of Palpatine:

[​IMG]

He's a fun character. And whilst he is very, very flat and basic, he is a particularly pure and true example of the megalomaniac villain archetype. His scenes on the Second Death Star make him one of my all time favourite villains in anything. But complex? Nope.

14. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I would agree that the ROTJ Emperor is quite one-dimensional, but if you actually take time to analyse his ROTS dialogue and plotting there is quite a lot going on.

15. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Seriously, give the script analysis a read, it might change your mind. Palpatine in TPM and pre-transformation in ROTS is layered. He never says anything without some hidden motivation.
    I would agree he becomes simpler when "Unlimited power" happens and the facade is dropped, though.