main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Are they crazy?] Knicks hire Isaiah Thomas

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rogue...Jedi, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    as a consultant.

2 issues here:

1) Why the heck would New York want Isaiah back after he wrecked the franchise... and had the whole sexual harassment lawsuit thing going on, too?

2) There is no way this should be allowed by either the NCAA or the NBA. Apparently the NCAA has already approved it, though the NBA has not. On the NCAA side, it blatantly gives him a recruiting advantage far more significant than most of the disallowed "competitive advantages", such as buying a recruit a hamburger. On the NBA side its even more blatant. To quote the article... "The NBA does not allow team personnel to scout high school players, ... nor does it allow contact with draft-eligible collegiate players." And how, exactly, is a college coach going to manage without scouting high school players? I suppose, technically, his assistants could do all the recruiting, though that isn't likely to happen. But the second part? No contact with draft eligible players? Guess he wouldn't be allowed by NBA rules to have contact with the team he's coaching [face_laugh]

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, if you're a Knick fan, you suffer through multiple horrible seasons of garbage on the court, sold on the dream of Lebron James coming to play at the Garden, and you end up with ...

The signing of Amar'e Stoudamire

and

The return of Isaiah Thomas.

Maybe Cleveland fans aren't the most tortured ...

3. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I think this decision single handily blew up the foundation of my education (people are rational), even more so than the recent recession.

If they had hired him in the run up to the draft to consult, that'd be one thing (he's moderately competent in that regard), but now? WTH?

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Remember this: a lot of those Knicks fans are also Yankees fans.

Back-to-Back!: 2008-2009 & 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: World Champions:cool:

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    ...and all sympathy just went flying out the window with that comment [face_laugh]

6. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Who would allow Isiah into their home with his track record in managment? I know he was a great player, but come on Knicks.

7. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Apparently, according to reports from Frank Isola, Nolan wants to ease Thomas into the role of GM. Initially Walsh was going to resign after hearing Isiah was back, but decided not to in an attempt to finish the job he started.

8. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    It's still a bad idea. I think Nolan should be re-signed at least for stabilities sake.

9. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    I think James Dolan is trying to be like Steinbrenner. Except he's doing it in the worst possible way. Since Isiah has no officialtile he is allowed to stay on as a coaching in the NCAA and still "work" for the Knicks. Stern hasn't weighed in on this yet, if he's even going to.

He ruined both the Rangers and the Knicks. More so the Knicks. Has anyone single-handedly ruin 2 franchises at once?

10. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Isiah has now turned down the job due to the NBA's conflict of interest rule. He has decided to stay at FSU. (Dodged a bullet on that one.)

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    FIU ;)

Very glad the Noles don't have to deal with him.

12. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    My mistake. I don't know why I wrote FSU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.