main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Tie Fighters equipped with landing feet

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by VECTORPLEX, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VECTORPLEX

VECTORPLEX Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2003
    In the original trilogy, we see the Imperial Tie Fighters constantly flying across the screen and not once have we seen one make a touchdown landing. If they were equipped with landing feet, wouldn't we have seen this feature in the Trilogy Special Edition.

Actually, I do recall seeing a Tie Interceptor model with landing feet, but they were made soo long and narrow that I do not see how they could retract into the ships body frame. I also remember seeing this Star Wars video arcade game where they show the Imperial fighters in the hangar bay of the Death Star, stacked behind one another and attached to a launching track, hanging overhead. The fighter pilot enters the cockpit from the top, then the ship detaches from the track and flies out into space.

2. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    "...stacked behind one another and attached to a launching track, hanging overhead. The fighter pilot enters the cockpit from the top, then the ship detaches from the track and flies out into space."
    That is exactly how it happens.

TIE's do not have landing gear of any type, however, they are structurally able to land on their 'wings'. This would only be done in an emergency.

3. Crack_Vader2002

Crack_Vader2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2002
    They have no landing feet. Theoretically(sp?), they can stand on their wings, but they are totally dependant of their mother ship. The main reason why the Empire did not equip the Tie fighters with landing gear is to reduce their mass and manoeuvrability(sp?)

Info taken from the (french edition...translation by me) Essential guide to ships: the secret plans.

4. atomik

Jul 28, 2001
    "The main reason why the Empire did not equip the Tie fighters with landing gear is to reduce their mass and manoeuvrability"

And another reason: so that the TIE Pilots must rely completely on higher authority.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though, in the SE, in the added stormtrooper background to Han's "panic" charge ("get back to the ship!") there is a TIE Fighter with some kind of apparent landing gear...though I'd guess it's an external mini-frame for maintenance purposes.

6. atomik

Jul 28, 2001
    hmm interesting, I don't remember that. Have a pic?

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Could only find two pics, unfortunately this larger one:

[image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/specialedition/dark/images/countersurpriseassault.gif]

has Han's head covering the pylons, while this one:

[image=http://www.theforce.net/swse/anh/deadEnd.jpg]

is tiny.

8. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    in the N64 video game Star Wars:Rogue Squadron there is a misson on a snow covered planet with bases similar to the one in ROTJ that Luke was brought into,and on the roof there are several Tie Fighter's just sitting there on their wings, it seems that the empire has a special insurance policy on them so if they scratch the bottom of the wings they can just repair them easily without much cost,although there is little insurance coverage for inept pilots that continue to slide without stopping on time after landing and crash land on the ground below.

9. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Video games are video games, those TIEs are there just for looks. If I remember correctly, Force Commander had a RotJ-ish platform and TIEs landed on their wings there.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, TIE's can land on their wings, according to EU sources like the X-Wing series. They use their repulsorlifts to make easy landings.

They almost always use the rack systems aboard a capital ship, however.

11. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I cannot tell anything from those pics, the second is so small..........

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, alas, I'll try to track down a better pic.

13. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    No landing gear. The wings are meant to double as both that and landing gear.

14. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I've seen TIEs launch from special ground-based launchers (Battleground: Tatooine)...but I've never seen any reference to how they get on the ground?

It's a great trick...but I can only do it once?

15. Kizakh

Kizakh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    I've got a TIE Interceptor model from (at latest) the early '90's that has long and skinny feet.

I always figured TIEs required the overhead racks under normal conditions.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>but I've never seen any reference to how they get on the ground? <<

Repulsorlifts let them come to a hover and gently set down on their wings.

17. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    According to my technical schematics, TIEs don't have repulsorlifts, only ion engines.

18. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    There's nothing in the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels that mentions repulsorlifts...could you tell me where you found they have landing capabilities?

Even if it has repulsorlifts...that could mean that TIEs hover, allowing for docking attachments to grab hold of the fighter. I don't think TIE-Fighters are designed for touching down on a planet/capital ship surface (without other means of assistance).

19. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Well I don't know if this can be categorized as EU, but I have an ANH Vader Tie Interceptor Prototype, made by Revell models circa 1984.

The set has a plastic circle where you can set the model so that it looks like it's flying but it also came with landing gear that could be attached so that you can put it as in a hangar. I used the clear plastic but I'm pretty sure I have the landing gear stored with my models stuff. I think I also have the model's assembly instructions.

If someone is interested for a pic, just post.

20. atomik

Jul 28, 2001
    I'm interested ObidioJuan.
    But I think that might be an exception because Vader's TIE prototype was a different model than the standard TIE/IN.

21. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I realize that, but at least it gives the idea on how it can be.

I just despise the idea that TIE land on the panels!,

I'll try to make a scan of the instructions to post here, in a couple of days.

22. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I've always wondered that question myself. I mean, but now it all makes sense! 8-}

23. atomik

Jul 28, 2001
    [image=http://web.tiscali.it/star_wars/image/schede/big/tie-fighter.jpg]

Lets look at this image and assume for a minute that they do in fact have landing gear. Because of the height of the 'wings', the landing gear would have to be some sort of telescoping mechanism attached to the central pod. This doesn't make much sense to me. Imagine 2 lines coming down from the pod, the 'wings' already do the same thing and in fact are more stable because of their size.

The wings on Vader's TIE prototype are smaller and closer to the main pod. So this would allow for landing gear.

But in the standard TIE/IN, from all the evidence I've seen, I'm still gonna have to say no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.