Are Tuskens All Bad?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by gezvader28, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gezvader28 Force Ghost

star 4
    We know that some Tuskens have attacked Tatooine farmers and killed others and were responsible for Shmi's death.
    But does that make them all bad?

As far as I'm concerned they're no different to any group or tribe of humans throughout history who have killed others in land disputes, fear of others etc.

What Anakin did was appalling.

But what do you think?
    Do you think they deserved what they got?
    Do you think that they're basically bad/evil?

g
  2. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    But what do you think?

There evil and I'm taking this because they have only been shown to do evil things because that's what GL wroite them to be.

I take them as characters form a movie nothing more. Because that's all they are.
  3. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    I don't think the Tuskens are evil, just very opinionated ;)
  4. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Thus far the Tuskens have not (in the movies) been painted in a positive light.

TPM: Take pot shots at passing racers, clearly not the safest condition for the racers.
    AOTC: Capture a farmer woman and torture her.
    ANH: Beat the crap out of Luke and try to rob his landspeeder.

Now, of course, this a movie, and Lucas wants us to sympathize with the good guys. I'm sure the famous Tusken director UrRRroRrroRRr Rrr'OrrRuuR has made a movie about the same events that paint the humans as vicious aggressors. :p

I'm sure there are Tuskens who are good folks. But I don't think any of their actions in TPM, AOTC or ANH were provoked.

CERTAINLY the "soldier" class of Tuskens (presumably the men?) got their just desserts. The women and children, on the other hand, didn't deserve to die, and Anakin knows it... too late.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  5. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    The movies, despite showing them as "bad" have plenty of clear signals that they are a fully developed society with some rule of law. They're just always caught on film doing bad things.
  6. ForceMaster101 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A'sharad Hett is a Jedi Tusken and padawan to Ki-Adi-Mundi during the time of TPM.
  7. Nightflurry Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well supposidly they're indiginous, if that's true then they're within their rights to attack humans. I wouldn't want aliens colonizing my planet.. well that depends, but still.
  8. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    Apparently only the men are vicious monsters, according to Cliegg.

While, the woman and children, well Anakin was ashamed of his actions to attack them. I mean he was the first one to actually consider them Tuskens a family unit.
  9. gezvader28 Force Ghost

star 4
    anidanami-
    There evil and I'm taking this because they have only been shown to do evil things because that's what GL wroite them to be.

If they're evil then Anakin must've done the right thing by killing them. Do you think?

g
  10. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    There is not a population on this world or the other in which there isn't a single "good" member to that community, no matter how evil that community may look as a whole.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!
  11. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Tuskins are neither Good or Evil. They keep to themsevles and they have no outside connections.
  12. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    They weren't exactly keeping to themselves when they kidnapped Shmi off her own property.

The Attack of the Clones Visual Dictionary and one of the issues of Star Wars Insider both talk about how young Tusken males proved their manhood by kidnapping an innocent person and torturing him/her to death. (I don't have a copy on me right now, someone else will have to find the exact page and quotes.) I believe either the visual dictionary or the magazine also discusses rape being involved.

For those of you who think what Anakin did was "abominable", let me ask you this--what would you have done if Shmi were your mother? Patted the Tuskens on the back and said, "There, there, it's OK...I know this was just a sacred ritual for you, I know we lowly humans don't have any right to live here...here, why don't I give you the name of another innocent person to beat to death..."

Not me. The Tuskens got off easily compared to what I would have done to them--at least Anakin decapitated them. I would have made them suffer first.

We see the Tuskens exactly three times--shooting at podracers in TPM, attacking Shmi without provocation, and attacking Luke without provocation. I'm not impressed.

As far as the women...I'm a woman, and I can untie another woman and seek medical attention for her, and that's what they should have done for Shmi, rather than standing by like bumps on logs and allowing their men to torture Shmi to death.

I feel sorry for the kids, but the males would have grown up to kidnap some other poor unsuspecting person to torture for their "sacred ritual".

Yes, the Tuskens deserved what they got. They ****ed with the wrong person's momma.
  13. frog04 Jedi Knight

no i dont think they r all bad
  14. Estelita Force Ghost

star 2
    what would you have done if Shmi were your mother? Patted the Tuskens on the back and said, "There, there, it's OK...I know this was just a sacred ritual for you, I know we lowly humans don't have any right to live here...here, why don't I give you the name of another innocent person to beat to death..."

You think it's either that or kill the guilty Tuskens and their children? Don't paint this in black and white. There are other ways.

As far as the women...I'm a woman, and I can untie another woman and seek medical attention for her,

Unfortunately they're not as brave or as safe to do such a thing as you are.

and that's what they should have done for Shmi, rather than standing by like bumps on logs and allowing their men to torture Shmi to death.

They should have--and then the men would have killed them, probably some of their children too, and then caught Shmi again and continued the torture. In this way not only would Shmi die, but the Tusken women would be punished. The Tuskens are savages, after all.

I feel sorry for the kids, but the males would have grown up to kidnap some other poor unsuspecting person to torture for their "sacred ritual".

And killing them is the only solution? I don't see the logic.

The Tuskens are evil. But we saw them exactly three times in the movies, so according to the movies alone, we don't know much about them. We don't know what their problem was. Maybe they did have no reason whatsoever to be so evil. But there's as little reason to paint them in black and white as there is to do the same to Anakin's motivations in killing them.
  15. gezvader28 Force Ghost

star 4
    AnakinGirl-
    The Attack of the Clones Visual Dictionary and one of the issues of Star Wars Insider both talk about how young Tusken males proved their manhood by kidnapping an innocent person and torturing him/her to death. (I don't have a copy on me right now, someone else will have to find the exact page and quotes.) I believe either the visual dictionary or the magazine also discusses rape being involved.

You're saying the Tusken men rape human women?
    I don't have the AOTC visual dictionary, can someone confirm the above?

Not me. The Tuskens got off easily compared to what I would have done to them--at least Anakin decapitated them. I would have made them suffer first.

Do you think you'd be angry enough to kill the children too?

g
  16. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A_G, we should definitely feel sympathy for Anakin. No one should have to go through something like that in seeing their mother tortured to death. But it is one thing to be sympathetic of his feelings and his grief, and another to be sympathetic with his actions or to even try to justify his actions. His actions were horrific and attrocious. He slaughtered an entire village, including innocent women and children, because of the acts of a few. It would be like me wiping out an entire neighborhood in South Central Los Angeles because one person in the community killed my mother.

No matter how wronged we are, it is never justified to go out and kill everyone is site. The point of this sequence was to show Anakin's failure: his inability to handle his emotions. Lucas was not trying to show Anakin was right in his actions. His action was clearly wrong. The purpose was to show that Anakin was a timebomb ready to explode because he did not know how to control his emotions. We should definitely feel sorry for Anakin: for his grief and his inability to handle his emotions. But we should never try to justify his horrendous actions.

I am not trying to say that Anakin is a monster. He is not. He is just a flawed person who was unable to handle the intensity of his feelings and his emotions. Nor am I saying that the Tuskens were innocent. They were not. But two wrongs will never make a right and Anakin's actions were no better than the Tuskens torturing and killing innocent humans.
  17. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't think Anakin was right to kill the Tuskens, but I certainly don't think he deserves some of the name-calling I've seen on these boards. ("Psychopathic baby-killer"--call the Tuskens something at least as horrible, please.)

. It would be like me wiping out an entire neighborhood in South Central Los Angeles because one person in the community killed my mother.

What if those people watched your mother be tortured to death and did nothing?
  18. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    SLR: "It would be like me wiping out an entire neighborhood in South Central Los Angeles because one person in the community killed my mother."

A_G: "What if those people watched your mother be tortured to death and did nothing?"

As mentioned in my previous posts, it would be wrong for me or anyone else to take such an action, no matter how personally wronged we may feel. By engaging in such acts, you become no better than the people/aliens that wronged you in the first place. By going out and senselessly killing others, you become the monster that you hated in the first place.

I feel sympathy for Anakin: his grief and his loss. But his actions were wrong and unjustifiable. Like I said, two wrongs will never make a right.
  19. Ret Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Some things they do could be classified as evil.
  20. MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "There is not a population on this world or the other in which there isn't a single "good" member to that community, no matter how evil that community may look as a whole."

It's not Tatooine but what about the Empire?
  21. gezvader28 Force Ghost

star 4

There's been a lot of debate about the tuskens and what Anakin did in other threads so I'm bumping this.

g
  22. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    Tatooine is not earth. The Tuskens are not on earth.
    The only thing I will ever go by is what I have seen in the SW movie. They are evil. Just like the Empire is evil. Just like Palpaitne is evil. I Cheer for the good guys: Anakin, Padme, Obi-wan, Luke, Leia, Lando, Han, Yoda etc. I boo the bad guys: Palpaitne, Dooku, Maul, The Tuskens.

If someone has a problem with me disliking The Tuskens. Well to bad. I'm not going to trun them into people on earth. They are fantasy characters in a fantasy movie. There role is to hurt people such as Luke, Shmi, the famers(sp), the people in the pod races. There job is to make people like Obi-wan fear them coming back in more numbers to kill both he and Luke.

That's all that they are in the movies. Nothing more nothing else. If any one is giong to trun them into victems(sp). Well they are victems(sp) of what they do to others.

GL never wrote them to be anything other then what they are. If he did write them to be more then what they are then he should have showed us those scenes. But sense I don't see any scenes of the Tuskens being nice people well there is much to go by.

Really I would like to know one good thing they did in the movies. Compare that to the bad things they have done.

23. gezvader28 Force Ghost

star 4
    The only thing I will ever go by is what I have seen in the SW movie. They are evil. Just like the Empire is evil. Just like Palpaitne is evil.

If they're evil then Anakin must've done the right thing by killing them. Is that what you think?

g

24. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5

I think GL made the Tuskens Anakin's first victims because they are shown to be a primitive, violent culture. It would have been more shocking and we would feel less sympathetic if we saw Anakin attack people who looked like us.

By the same reasoning, GL would not have had Anakin tell us he killed women and children if that was not supposed to be important and shocking. In my view, Anakin killing the women and children is supposed to be awful and obviously very wrong.

The movies don't show the tuskens doing anything nice, but contrary to what some people think, they don't show them torturing Shimi while laughing either. We are never told why they do what they do, the movies don't tell us they do it for entertainment, they just make it clear that they do kidnap and torture. I think that we are, as a rule, more sympathetic to Anakin, but of course the irony is he kidnaps and tortures people as Vader.

In my view, the male Tuskens get what's coming to them, the women have to hold some responsibility, but the children are innocent of their parents' crimes. I do not believe the Tuskens are inherently evil, they are sentient and as such are capable of making choices between doing evil or good; the young should have been given a chance to make their choice and redeem their parents' actions, just as Luke was.

25. DS615 Jedi Master

star 4
    The Tuskens aren't inherently evil. I think the Tuskens have been intentionally portrayed just like the American Indians were in the 1950's westerns.

If the Tuskens are the indiginous species on Tatooine, then the land that the Lars farm sits on was stolen from them in their view. The following anger inspired raids against the theives have lead the farmers to brand them as "savages".

In any case, slaughtering a whole village just isn't right. Anakin/Vader or not.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.