main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are we demanding too much out of 3 minute shorts?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by masterskywalker, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Look guys, this show has got awesome action, and a lot of really cool character moments and touches. For three fraking minutes per episode that's pretty damn good. You folks don't seem to realize this endeavor could have sucked... royally. Instead, nearly everyone has liked the shorts so far. However, I admit I'm surprized at some of the reactions I'm seeing. Are we setting are expectations just a wee bit too high here? That's the impression I'm getting. You guys seem to think this is another SW movie. It ain't, it's all about the action baby. It's based around Band of Brothers, not A New Hope (the slowest of all SW movies). They're battle shorts, not dialoge shorts.

2. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    A series of three-minute shorts can still tell a coherent, tightly-plotted story.

In fact, they were doing just fine until we jumped from the middle of the Battle of Muunilist to boring repetitive Jedi butt-kicking. If you want to do that, set it on Muunilist, and further the story of the conflict there. But if you want to really please me, stick with the clones and keep the Jedi limited to a few episodes.

-Paul

3. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    It is damn good for 3 minutes. A lot happens and it's hot! :D

4. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    I actually expected worse but it's way better that I thought.

5. Jedi-Colonel13

Jedi-Colonel13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2003
    Well, the thing is- its called Clone WarS. Plural. A lot of things happened during the clone wars. You really wanna see just 20 straight episodes of the same thing? Do they do that in the movies? No, they mix it up a lil bit, keep the viewer interested. This was just a fun side thing, not meant to lead us astray. Sure, HAD it been on Muunilist, it might have been a lil more concurrent and flowy, but who cares. Its wars, campaigns, theatres, whatever you wanna call it. The cartoons are showing us a broad spectrum of events during the Clone WarS.

6. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    The series is called "Clone Wars", so the ever expanding Clone Wars battles will be shown. This is not about the "battle of Muunilist".

Now, we had 3 episodes of Muunilist with the clifhanger that Durge started to turn the battle around. We take a little break, and see whtat's going on with the rest of our heroes, next episode a new threat is introduced.

It's good storytelling and pacing. There'll alsways be people who don't like it, but the reaction seems mostly positive. Given the 3:30 limitation, I'd say this is pretty successful.

7. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    Why are expectations being set high? This is a cartoon. First people thought the art was sketchy. Then people questioned the story and also the length of the flicks.

Expectations were so, so. Some happy to have something SW to quench the appetite for episode III.

Now after the rave review of critics and fans alike, nobody should be less than xstatic in my opinion.

8. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I know kfisto, that's what I'm getting at. The shorts are great, yet all some people can do is snipe at its (minor/quibbling) shortcomings.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    In fact, they were doing just fine until we jumped from the middle of the Battle of Muunilist to boring repetitive Jedi butt-kicking. If you want to do that, set it on Muunilist, and further the story of the conflict there. But if you want to really please me, stick with the clones and keep the Jedi limited to a few episodes.

I think you're missing the point.

Look at the "Planetary Forces" game -- THREE planets, THREE battles... y'know, just like the end of Return of the Jedi. Or The Phantom Menace. Or, y'know, the whole Star Wars plotting device... ;)

Scenes cut away to the action somewhere else.

This is no different.

We'll have Obi-Wan/Durge, Kit Fisto/Quarren and Asajj/Anakin before this is out, mark my words!

The game already told us so... ;)

10. Blackeagle

Blackeagle Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2003
    Some people say "too many clones, not enough jedi." Others say, "too many jedi, not enough clones." My advice to the animators? Ignore all of us, if you don't, it's just going to drive you crazy.

"If you try to please everybody, somebody's not going to like it." -Donald Rumsfeld

11. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I think you misunderstand me. I get the whole three planets, three battles thing. And I don't see any reason to spend a whole hour on Muunilist. I would just prefer either to see each story resolved before moving on, or for there to be a logical transition instead of just "we interrupt this coverage to bring you news of Kit Fisto."

-Paul

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    But that's EXACTLY what the Star Wars movies do -- the cartoon is just staying true to that...

13. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I see the cartoon series as a puzzle. You put in different pieces from different areas of the picture and eventually you get the complete picture as one entity.

Sometimes you need to build up the beach part of the picture before the water and the sky.

14. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The Clone Wars shorts represent the most brilliant three minutes of animation I've seen in a long, long time.

15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    From my "why are the cartoons 3 minutes long" thread:

It's also a bit of George going back the the very roots of cinema... the serials that used to preceed the main feature... 10, 15 minute chapters that would end (usually) with a cliff hanger and would lure the audience back into the theartre next week to 'see what hapened'. Judging by the immence popularity of the series, he's succeeded admirably...

It wets the appitite and keeps us begging for more...

16. death-of-fleas

death-of-fleas Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2003
    As I said before I got edited Clone Wars is Crap
    Also what's the point of having a discussion forum if people can't express their opinions without fear of being made to shut up by some jumpped up petty minded little hitler of a moderator. Talk about repression of freedom.

17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    death-of-fleas

How about actually DISCUSSING why you think the 'clone wars are crap' as apposed to just bashing them mindlesly? And making disparaging remarks about people won't help your cause...

18. shuttle_captain

shuttle_captain Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2003
    I think this the problem PM suffered. Don't get me wring, I'm not a huge fan of PM, but I think too many people got TOO hyped up and expected this to be another movie.
    It's just a 30 minute commercial to get you set up for EP3.

19. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    To everyone who's complaining about the length of the Clone Wars: Think of it this way, we could not have ANY cartoon or show or anything. I'm thrilled to have this great series, even though it is short. Besides Lucas wanted 1 minute cartoons, Cartoon Network raised it to 3.

20. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    Man. Fight the power type people get on my goat, especially when they don't back up their statements.

Nobody censored your mindless crap statement did they?

21. DarExc

DarExc Jedi Master star 1

Jan 27, 2002
    I wasn't hyped about this, I don't realy care. Its interesting but its just a couple real small cartoons for children. It comes on before a childs show and airs after another childs show. I don't know who exactly is wetting their pants over this, but if someone is, I feel for them. I'm not dissing it but I'm not saying its the funnest thing I do or see with my pants on in a day.

Also if someone wants to say Clone Wars sux, so be it. I like to get a general feel of how many people enjoyed themselvs and how many people didn't when I read forums. When somebody defends Star Wars like its their own mother all the time especialy at fellow fans it makes me shake my head.

BTW I am enjoying what I have seen in quicktime!

22. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    The show is to get us ready for Episode 3, and to show us what happened during the Clone Wars. It's just something to enjoy :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.