main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are we ever going to get that word filter fixed?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord_Hydronium, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H_E_Dbl_GIMER_Sticks

H_E_Dbl_GIMER_Sticks Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2002
    You missed a couple.

2. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Thank you for at least addressing it.

I wasn't aware frequency was a criterion for what words people should be able to say. And I'm betting that more people on this board use it that sense than as a gay slur, particularly since a word not being automatically edited doesn't mean it's allowed or the mods will leave it be.

3. H_E_Dbl_GIMER_Sticks

H_E_Dbl_GIMER_Sticks Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2002
    I'm betting that less people on the board use it than the word fenestration.

It's not a criterion for stopping people from saying it, it's a criterion for how wadded up in a bunch your panties need to be about it.

It's like complaining that they don't let men work as Hooters waitresses.
    It's a cause, but how often does it come up that it's a real problem?

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I just know that it being edited out ruined an absolutely hilarious joke about the administration's ban on slash fanfiction not long ago in on my JCCNN thread.

The motto of fanfiction was going to be "No *****, bozo!" but no, that would be offensive or something. :rolleyes:

:p

I do find it rather amusing that we are so tolerant of homosexuals that we won't allow a slur made from the first syllables of their proper classification to be used, but we also won't let any of their characters in fanfiction.

I tell you this place is schizo all the way down.

I kid. I kid! :)

Not really.

5. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    What about this?

people can c-o-c-k their heads or their weapons...

6. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I've just had the wonderful experience of having the auto-censor jump on the following line -
    *googles UFC *
    - only I had no space between UFC and the asterisk. It looks like the auto-censor thought it was a misspelled naughty word with a starred-out letter. :rolleyes:

- lazy

7. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000

8. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I could be wrong, but I believe the filter is set on IGN as a whole, not just TF.N. So, the words that are filtered are done so based on IGN's wishes, not neccesarily TF.N's.

9. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    Now I'm surprised that I'm able to say "Great, kid, don't get cocky!" in the Star Wars Quote Game. You couldn't do that at the OS, which is probably why it didn't have a Star Wars Quote Game. You couldn't say cocker spaniel at the OS without the first word of it being crosshatched out either. :confused: :mad: And the list of nondirty words you couldn't say there kept getting longer and longer, and that's one reason I left the OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.