main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Are we getting too much spoiler info?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Bespin Miners Union 1138, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bespin Miners Union 1138

Bespin Miners Union 1138 Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2014
    So...I attempted to remain as spoiler free as possible. And then Making Star Wars just screwed me and the rest of the fans that didn't mind some speculation but didn't want significant spoilers plastered over the internet.

Tonight MSW posted a HUGE spoiler to their page and Jason Ward posted as fact not speculation in the headline. Yes...Jason Ward states on Twitter not to talk out loud about it on the social networks to be respectful of fans. BUT that didn't stop him from posting it on his site where he knows it will get picked up by major entertainment and minor entertainment sites. Hell he just had a big fight with SW7 News about his information being used on their site without attribution.

He has to know that this will be front page news on other sites by tomorrow morning. And he has to know that it won't remain a secret. That its will be impossible to check anything Star Wars related without running smack dab into the spoiler.

Concept art is fine. Speculation is fun. But dude...when you have something this HUGE and fan-mind blowing...sit on it. Do the fan base a favor and put your ego away and sit on it. Have respect for us and have respect for the fact that the being online isn't a choice...that for most of us its a necessity for work etc. And that we don't want to know stuff this big. Yes...you don't actually tell us in the headline, but you have to know your website is one of the two big sites for accurate speculation. And if I do a search for any Star Wars related news...rebels...toys...this information will come up. io9 will pick it up. Huff Post will pick it up. Hell...CNN will pick it up. It will be the talk of SW Celebration. When stars go on late night shows it will be a question asked. JJ will be asked. It won't be able to be hidden. You opened the mystery box. Did you even consider sitting on it? What made you decide to go with the story? Ego? Did you think it won't hurt anyone?

I hope that his source was wrong, misinformed or just screwing with him but I doubt it. I didn't read the article. I don't know what exactly happens etc...but based on the headline...I can guess. And yet, I would rather have been surprised.

MODified: Changed the title to something less hyperbolic and accusatory of a member of our forums.

I remember how pissed I was when I got the TPM soundtrack before the movie came out and the song track titles spoiled the movie. I remember how pissed I was.

You screwed up Jason. And you lost a reader today. Some of us waited 32 years to see a sequel to this franchise and our old friends again. And you dicked us over 10 months before opening day.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    ...you do realize this is the SPOILER section, and you are neither required nor obligated to read anything here or on MSW? Stop trolling, bro.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You didn't have to read it. He warned you beforehand that it was a massive spoiler so you really have only yourself to blame.

4. Bespin Miners Union 1138

Oct 5, 2014
    That's not my point. My point is that I'm not obligated but with it out there I and other fans who didn't mind speculation and minor spoilers will be unable to hide from it. This isn't 2005.

5. Bespin Miners Union 1138

Oct 5, 2014
    I
    I didn't read it. What I'm saying is that tomorrow it will be out there...and other sites won't bother hiding it from their headlines...I'm not talking about random small sites...I'm talking big entertainment sites.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    so your mad that Making is reporting something that most have guessed since the Big 3 were announced and that has been rumored for while now.:rolleyes:

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The fan entitlement is strong with this one.

TheBBP likes this.
  8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Like Chiznuk said, he posted a warning at the beginning of the article. You did not have to continue reading. If you really want to hide from it, why don't you hang out in the no spoilers allowed forum? I understand you're upset about getting spoiled, and I'm sorry about that. But I think it's unfair to blame Jason, when you're the one who chose to read the article. [face_dunno]

9. Bespin Miners Union 1138

Oct 5, 2014

Yes. I'm mad. You got Hamill and other stars of the film pleading not to spoil them film. And PymParticles its not entitlement. I shouldn't have it thrown in my face if I don't want it.

10. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I wish there was a down vote option in this forum. If you don't want to be spoiled be it a minor spoiler or a mega huge one like this one, don't click the story. You only have yourself to blame. The warnings were all there before reading it.

Also you must not have been around during the prequels online. The fansites spoiled the entire plots of all three movies including major character deaths and how the scenes played out even. This type of thing is nothing new.

11. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    I kinda agree with you. This is the type of spoiler that you can't hide from no matter how hard you try.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It can be self-contained to spoiler threads and sections of boards but the OP is generally right - basically, anything spoiler-y will end up as BIG FREAKIN' HEADLINES all across the web, regardless if you signed up for a spoiler form or not. It'll be self contained for, like, a day. Then all over social media feeds.

Complaining about being spoiled in a spoiler forum is your Own Damn Fault but, yeah, the wildfire spread of spoiler-ness especially in regards to Ep. 7 on non spoiler marked Star Wars sites, or entertainment sites in general, is much bigger.

Apophis_ likes this.
  13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    and yet you are here and yet you visited a spoiler site on your own free will.:rolleyes:

plaidphoenix likes this.
  14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Not reading this thread but I think this may be my cue to abandon 7SA

Bennihana and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    You didn't have to click on it.

16. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    Jesus wept, the guy is a fan all he's doing is providing other fans with what he knows. Give the guy some slack. If knew anything about this movie I would want to scream it from the roof tops and why? Because I care, its up to you whether you read or not, its not like you are been forced is it?

17. Bespin Miners Union 1138

Oct 5, 2014

Holy cripes. I didn't read it. My point again...is that in today's world...its going to be impossible for the fan like me who doesn't mind small spoilers to hide from it. I've posted here before. I'm not a purist...but hell he has to know that other sites will pick it up and that its going to be out there regardless of how much I and others try to hide from it.

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Disagree. Hang out in the non-spoiler forum, don't click on articles with "spoilers" in the title and if you start reading and see "this could be a massive spoiler, so be advised," then you stop reading. It is completely possible to hide from it. If you do all the things I've said, the only way you'd get spoiled is if you have some blabbermouth buddy who goes "HEY HAN DIES AT THE END OF VII." [face_dunno]

19. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I haven't read the article in question but I think Bespin Miners Union has a fair criticism. It's one thing to leak minor spoilers, it's another to release a major plot point in a hugely anticipated movie with a lot of scrutiny, because for a film like this, once a big spoiler leaks it might not be possible to avoid it.

Again I haven't read the article and I personally don't mind all that much if I get spoiled for these films because I don't have massive expectations, but even I can respect people not wanting major spoilers spreading like wildfire on the net.

20. Bespin Miners Union 1138

Oct 5, 2014

He's a businessman. He knows the traffic he gets will be HUGE. It helps build his business. If he was trying to provide for fans...he'd sit on it or...hell...he'd give a bit of info but not the whole story.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, I agree with that point. There's not much containing Star Wars spoilers once you venture out into the World Wide Web because EVERYONEEEEEE is talking about it. See that automated story generator news feed on your FB page? Stuff like that.

22. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    You got me there for a second OP, I actually thought I was on the no spoilers allowed forum.

WadiumArcadium likes this.
  23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    In his defence he didn't put the spoiler in the heading of the article. You really didn't have to click on it. And I doubt any other site that picks it up will do otherwise. I really don't know why you're complaining.

TheBBP likes this.
  24. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Don't be naive. This spoiler won't appear in mainstream articles. Many big movies including the prequels had their biggest plot twists and happenings spoiled well in advance of being released including major character deaths and none of those ever made it into the mainstream press before hand.

25. Bespin Miners Union 1138

Oct 5, 2014

Thank you. This is exactly my point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.