main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Char, NC Are we going to keep our name "Charlotte Separatists"?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jada, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    This is something we tossed around today - do we want to keep the nickname of our group "Charlotte Separatists"?

For historical purposes, this is the thread where the name "Charlotte Separatists" was originally discussed.

Now, there is no pressing need to change it. If everyone is happy with it it can stay as is. I'm just opening it up to the group to be heard if there is a want to change it.

TK-2970 pointed out at today's meeting that having something that is neutral [neither Sith, Jedi or any other faction related] would embrace all "walks" of SW fandom.

So, if you have suggestions for a name, post them here. If you don't want to see the name change, post that here.

While this isn't a neutral name I came up with this:

[b]Charlotte Imperial Academy - the C.I.A. - Yes, we ARE watching you and we're baking Bantha biscuits too![/b]

It is a pun on CIA - Central Intelligence Agency and CIA - Culinary Institute of America :p ;)

2. Darth_Julio

Darth_Julio Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2004
    i like either one

3. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    TK-2970 has a whole list of names! 8-}

4. DarthNightwing

DarthNightwing Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2003
    Charlotte Imperial Academy? I'm down with 'dat! [face_devil]

5. starrenite

starrenite Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2005
    I vote to keep it as is.

Plus, anyone who knows me knows I'm a Rebel with an odd love for stormtroopers. So me being in an Imperial group? eh. If we change the focus of the group to exclude certain members (which we would be doing if we have an Imperial or Rebel name).. persecution? Now don't get me wrong, the group definitely won't die off if I quit, because I will if this gets to be an Imperial group, but if there are any other Rebels who post here they wouldn't take this fondly either, neither would any other random Joe who happens to stumble upon the site like I did who is a Rebel. and we've been the Separatists for so long now, it almost wouldn't feel right to be called something else.

6. darkladypurplepencil

darkladypurplepencil Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 16, 2006
    Hey,
    Despite the fact that I am a Rebel (don't let the name fool you), I do love the CIA pun, as I believe I said at the meeting yesterday, but I would also like maybe something really random that would still be neutral, like the Charlotte Nerfherders, or something...
    Farell

7. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    I had been thinking about this and I think we should just keep it simple, The Charlotte FanForce. We don't really need to be fancy. A number of larger groups, like Chicago and Phoenix are just using FanForce. Initially I was wanting to come up with a catchy name but after thinking about it I changed my mind. I am also ok with keeping it the way it is. If we change it to just the Charlotte FanForce maybe we can try to combine the Rebel and Imperial logos similar to the Mos Alba FanForce logo if we decide to go ahead and do t-shirts or something else with our name on it.

8. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I prefer the name as it is. It's been that way on the boards for near four years and the name's sunken in, especially around town. Hell, I run into people who knew of the group when it was founded or people who knew people who founded it just talking about it.

The simplified Charlotte FanForce name is cool, but we are the Charlotte FanForce. Both names as is slide because it's been called both before.

Personally, I see no need for a name change, but whatever you guys want.

9. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I wanted to give everyone an opportunity to chime in on this. I also wanted to be clear that this was only an option and that change was not necessary. I was just exploring the options.

This is my proposal. Let's keep "Charlotte Separatists" as a nickname for the board. Other Star Wars folks will get it. Other board members, fan forcers get it. But the general public might not.

I'd like to refer to our group in public as Charlotte Fan Force - a group for the fans of Star Wars run by the fans of Star Wars.

Here is one of my reasons for wanting a more neutral name. The very word separatist connotates something other than Star Wars in the general public's mind. Separatist means:

1. a person who separates, withdraws, or secedes, as from an established church.
    2. an advocate of separation, esp. ecclesiastical or political separation.

I don't want an organization that we are trying to work with thinking that we are advocating a political or religious agenda. ;)

So, with that in mind, does anyone object to this and using this in designing a t-shirt?

Let me know!

~Jada :)

10. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    That works for me, yo. As long as on some shirts or whatnot it can say eithor/or.

:)

11. starrenite

May 17, 2005
    The very word separatist connotates something other than Star Wars in the general public's mind.

But keep in mind we're Star Wars fans here and people who may take interest in this group will also be Star Wars fans. In which case, they'll get it.

sigh
    I guess I just don't like change.
    I liked it better when it was our name.

12. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    A few things:

1. Charlotte Separatists is still "our name" on these boards.

2. Yes, we are Star Wars fans and we do get it but the general public doesn't get it. When I am out dealing with the general public I need a name that isn't going to cause controversy. As much as I like my pun on CIA it would have caused more public relations problems than it would have been worth.

Also, just a side note that I've found really interesting is that the Separatists as an organization are not mentioned in the Star Wars Databank. The Separatists were formally known as the Confederacy of Independent Systems.

3. Nobody likes change really. I only brought this up as an option. We were not told to change our name.

In the end we are the Charlotte Fan Force aka Charlotte Separatists.

13. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    The definition of Separatist or Separatism as per Wikipedia, found here...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separatism

Separatism is a term usually applied to describe the attitudes or motivations of those seeking independence or "separation" of their land or region from the country that governs them. To a lesser extent, separatism may also refert to social isolation or involvement in cliques. The term separatist movements usually refers to social movements that aspire to autonomy for a particular group of people from a dominant political institution under which they suffer, although separatism can also be enforced by a ruling political power, as occurred in South Africa under apartheid. The grounds for separation can be regional, ethnic, linguistic, cultural, religious, or gender ? or a combination of these factors.

This is not the public image we are looking for. I already have to explain Charlotte FanForce to people who are not "in the know". Once I say we are a local Star Wars fan club group then they understand and are interested. Just saying we are the Charlotte Separatists is already putting an idea in someone's head before they even know what we are about. I have no problem putting the Separatists logo on our t-shirts but since our URL redirect is www.charlottefanforce.com that would be the simplest way to be known. I also have no problem in keeping the Separatists name here on the boards. But not every person we deal with is going to be a hardcore or even casual SW fan. In the public eye let's not go alienating people or give people a reason to judge us before they know what we are all about.

14. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, we've been known as the Charlotte Seperatists when printed in the press (Observer/Creative Loafing/Charlotte Weekly).

I mean, we're a group of dorks. People expect crazy names. C'mon.. the "Hothlanta Rebels"? :p

...but it's you and Hope's choice, I suppose, so whatever works.

15. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    And one of the largest FanForce's out there, Chicago, only goes by Chicago FanForce. It's not Hope's and my choice. Other members have voiced an opinion and most do not mind the change. And it is not really a change, we would just be refering to ourselves as the Charlotte FanForce but also as the Separatists here on the boards and the Separatists logo would be present on our t-shirts.

16. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Fair enough. I won't be involved much more past the end of the year anyways, so it doesn't matter moot.

17. starrenite

May 17, 2005
    I'm with James on this one. I guess I won't be a part of the group anymore either. We only ever really have meet ups when I'm at work, or have to go to work. So in a way I feel like I'm neglecting the group by not showing up. I also have big career plans/changes in the future, too. So I'm pretty much ghost, I guess.

18. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I specifically worked the last meeting around your schedule so that you could attend and had offered you a ride to the last meeting. I kept in touch with you about this and was trying to work with you. I've tried to make the group as safe as possible for you since there was an issue with that.

If you are leaving the group because we are going to be using Charlotte Fan Force to the general public I'm sorry to say I don't think that is a great reason. You did say:

Alot of groups have folks that make it to what they can make it to and are still active on the boards.

Good luck with your future and I wish you the best. You are always welcome to join us at an event or meeting.

As I've said before in this thread we are still keeping Charlotte Separatists as the nickname of the group on these boards.

I've done a great deal of research on the logo of the Separatists or Confederacy of Indepedent Systems and Jedi_528 and I are working on a logo that incorporates the Separatists logo with other logos from the SW universe. Here is a rough copy of it:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/SithJada/CFF/CFFlogo2.jpg]

Inside of the Separatists logo are the logos going clockwise from 12:

Old Republic
    Naboo Crest
    Rebel
    Sith
    Mandalorian
    Imperial Cog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.