main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are we going to see ghost Yoda in LOTF? (maybe spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mexmustach, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mexmustach

Mexmustach Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2007
    So we all know that Luke is dead by the legacy comics and has become one with the force like Obi-wan and Yoda before him, but since Yoda and Kenobi got that way with the training of Qui-Gon, will Luke require training from a ghost master as well? We have seen that Anakin ghosted out at least for awhile at the end of ROTJ with no help, unless there is Obi-wan talking him through it off-screen, so is this what Luke will do? If not however could we see a reappearance of Yoda or even Qui-Gon sometime soon in the LOTF books? If this were to happen it would probably be Yoda since he probably has no idea who Qui-Gon is and Obi-wan told him he would never see him again. Even cooler would be to see Anakin come back and teach him, although he has never been all that wise.

2. BENSKYWAKER

BENSKYWAKER Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    Personally I think that IF Luke dies he will naturally turn into a force ghost like Qui-gon and Anakin did. He has also partly been a force ghost once (kind of) so it shoudn't be that hard to do now.

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Ugh. Please leave Yoda dead and out of sight.

4. Master_Shan

Master_Shan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2005
    Exceptional Jedi can do it without any previous training....and as far as the EU is concerned Qui-Gon was far from the first or last Jedi to achieve this state...and one of the only Jedi that needed training to do it. It was so common that until the prequal trilogy ever one just assumed Jedi Master's all became one with the force when felled...or nearly so.

I a few cases throughout the EU, Master have faded of their own accord. I see no reason why Luke would need help.

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Qui-Gon learned the technique. Anakin was pulled through by Yoda and Obi-Wan. I assume other Jedi had to know how to do it, too, and that Ulic-Qel Droma was pulled through by Arca.

6. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Luke was about to do it in "The New Rebellion", so if he had to learn it, he had learned it before that (which would make sense as no Ghosts have appeared after HTTE). On the other hand, it's got to do with compassion, so there's only so much that one could "learn" about the technique.

I'd think Obi-Wan would pull him over to some degree, seeing how Obi-Wan made it sound as if he would finally meet Luke again - in the afterlife. Plus, Ghost Luke is wearing Obi-Wan's robes... :p

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Yeah, wait till we really start debating that whole people disappearing/clothes not disappearing/ghost people/ghost clothes thing.

8. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    where do we know about this "pulled through" thing from ?

and on the topic at hand... i just don't know what else yoda has to offer to anyone in the comics...
    as fasr as jacen goes -- i can only wonder what yoda is thinking! [face_worried]

9. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    Time to bring out the whipping cane, probably

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002

There is a uniform for force ghosts, obviously... Just ask Anakin Skywalker.

11. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    From what I've seen only the outer robes remain when a Jedi Master becomes a Force ghost. I think the layer of clothing that is touching skin goes with them. That is my theory anyway. As for Anakin's appearance in ROTJ: I think a Jedi appears however the person he appears to would best recognize him/her. Luke had probably seen holos of Anakin from back in the Clone Wars era. He wouldn't have recognized Obi-Wan if he'd appeared as a young man...

12. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Since when did we start believing what Obi-Wan says? :p

13. Card_Dreamer

Card_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 5, 2003
    The "pulled from" is directly taken from Lucas on his commentary on the RotJ DVD

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Since the Force afterlife does not, so far as we know, have liquor available.

15. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003

i doubt that obi-wan would become a force ghost if it meant no more liquor

16. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Addressing the issue somewhat seriously for a second (yes, yes, I know), I think that the appearance of Anakin Skywalker at the end of RoTJ as a younger man suggests that the Force Ghosts are something of a representation of the person's identity rather than a literal image of them when they died. They appear as they choose to appear - like Neo in the Matrix when he gets his hair back. Thus the clothes don't go with them, but they don't then choose to appear naked because, apart from momentary hilarity, what would that gain them?

Obi-Wan doesn't choose to appear as a younger man because a) this version is more familiar to Luke and that's who he's appearing to, and b) perhaps he was at peace with the fact that he had aged. Anakin Skywalker, on the other hand, is appearing as he did when he was a Jedi, the last time he was truly happy and comfortable with himself.

As to why he shows up in someone else's Jedi robes, um, he was trying to "fit in" for Luke...? Eh. I'm going with the uniform thing.

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Because he didn't feel the black was appropriate anymore? He's showing that he's not a rebel anymore. He gets it and he's in line with Obi-Wan and Yoda. He's fully part of the team.

18. Coonsan

Coonsan Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    In the moments before deciding to sacrifice himself

"Qui-Gon, you better have the sauce up there..."
    *zoom*

19. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
  20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000