main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are we on the way to an American Boxer Rebellion?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Chris2, Oct 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris2

Chris2 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 11, 1998
    With the Catholic crisis, Fallwell's hatred, the whole Islam controversy, and the pledge, it seems like it's only a matter of time before some uprising occurs. Any thoughts?

2. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    We're nowhere near the level of discontent we had in the sixties. If anything were going to happen, it would have been then.

3. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    Not even close.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    A more important question may be: Are we on the way to a new Crusade?

IMO, yep.

E_S

5. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    Not a chance. Ever. America is the most stable nation in the world right now and quite possibly the most stable in all of history (at least internally).

If you don't mind though, I'd like to change the direction of this thread before it is closed.

What if we look at it from another point of view, with the Mid-East, Latin America, or other area of American quasi-imperialism as the China of today. How likely is it that a significant amount of people will try to boot America out of their country? How well do Islamist terrorists fit this definition? How much worse can it get and what are the global ramifications?

Site about Boxer Rebellion for those who need a touch up on their history.

6. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    "Are we on the way to a new Crusade?"

You mean a war on Islam? I hope not; the last thing the world needs is a war on that scale.

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Weren't the boxers gunned down? They thought they could like....deflect bullets and whatnot? If so, I hope nothing like that happens here. It'd back up the belief held by many that we're a stupid nation. That'd be even worse.

8. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    Not a chance.

9. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    I'm not sure how any of those items could correlate to the Boxer Rebellion, aside from Falwell's speeches. But nobody listens to Falwell anyway.

10. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    We on this Senate may have a crusade/uprising on each other but this is a small minority of people from both the left and the right budding heads again, and it's the people in the middles job to slap them in the face to get them back off planet Pluto. :D

11. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    . America is the most stable nation in the world right now and quite possibly the most stable in all of history (at least internally).

I'd debate that strongly. There are many nations in the world that are as stable if not stable'r then america is at the moment.

As for an uprising, I doubt it. American's seem fairly apathetic (at the moment at least) to let things take thier course - which can be a rather nice trait :)

As for the Crusade, I could see that happening purely out of ignorance. As a religion student I've had people ask tell me some pretty stupid "truths" about Islam. They thinik they are telling the truth even though they aren't and often what they have said scares me due to its ignorance. That's why I could see a Crusade or witchhunt mentality growing as the ignorance and fear spreads...

Kithera

12. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Is it true that every other average American has some hatred and/or prejudice against anyone Islamic now?

13. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Is it true that every other average American has some hatred and/or prejudice against anyone Islamic now?

I sincerely hope not. If anyone feels hatred toward a vast group because of what individuals or factions allegedly within that group have done, then these hate-filled people show their true ignorance.

14. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    "Is it true that every other average American has some hatred and/or prejudice against anyone Islamic now?"

Of course not. Who told you that?

15. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    The guy over there in the corner.

16. POLUNIS

POLUNIS Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002
    If you are such an expert, Kit', then why haven't you answered my argumentation in the Falwell thread?

If you want to talk about the Crusades, let's talk about them. Why the devil would the Crusaders even want the land to begin with? They wanted it in order to have direct trade with the Orient. Do you honestly think that the Moslems did not provoke Europe into retaliating by centuries of warfare against Christians? The Crusades were not holy, but neither were the three centuries of "defensive warfare" by Islam.

17. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Wasn't the Boxer Rebellion itself encouraged by the Imperial Family?

18. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    If you are such an expert, Kit', then why haven't you answered my argumentation in the Falwell thread?

What arguement? I haven't been reading that thread for ages. There is a lot of stuff I don't respond to simply because I don't feel like and, quite honestly, I don't have the time. [face_plain]

If you want to talk about the Crusades, let's talk about them. Why the devil would the Crusaders even want the land to begin with? They wanted it in order to have direct trade with the Orient. Do you honestly think that the Moslems did not provoke Europe into retaliating by centuries of warfare against Christians? The Crusades were not holy, but neither were the three centuries of "defensive warfare" by Islam.

Polunius, I'm not talking about the historical Crusades. I'm saying that a "Crusade" or "witch-craft" mentality could easily be propagated at this time against Islam. I'm using the word Crusade with its common usage, not its *exact* historical one. If you notice I said nothing about the history of the Crusades? That's why I said:

That's why I could see a Crusade or witchhunt mentality growing as the ignorance and fear spreads...

Please at least re-read what I said and respond to that, don't make an arguement out of what is not there... I haven't said anything like what you're implying I did [face_plain] In fact, you're so off-topic I have no idea how you got the idea I was saying that to begin with [face_plain] Also, why attack me? There are other people in this thread who said that a Crusade could happen - why pick on me exactly????

If people want to debate with me about why I think a witchhunt mentality could happen then fine :) I'd be more then happy too.

Kithera

19. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    I'd rather be boxers than briefs ;)

The real issue is that people have put up a PC block that you can't hold middle eastern countries up to their agreements and ceasefires or else you're against islam and now apparently starting another crusade. Nice snowball job folks.

People are making up these ridiculous claims which some board members are swallowing hook line and sinker. Nothing but propoganda and a slew of new words to fan the flame. I wish people would open their eyes to realize they've got blinders on.

20. POLUNIS

POLUNIS Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002
    Okay, since you want to debate about that...why are people in America so susceptible to a witchhunt mentality? I have not seen much evidence of it, even after something as terrible as 9/11.

21. Red-Seven

Oct 21, 1999
    What the heck are you talking about? America is overrun by a witchhunt mentality? The Average American hates Muslims?

The facts don't back up either claim. This simply isn't true, and I'm not sure how this perception gained any sort of credence. Actually, I'm quite sure there were more Americans offering to protect mosques and muslims in America than threatening them, even in the days after the attack.

22. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    A Rebellion [face_laugh]?! The average American is more concerned with who'll win the superbowl than any political or socioeconomic matter (unless of course it directly impacts their wallet).

23. Red-Seven

Oct 21, 1999
    Wait, the superbowl is on?

// leaves thread

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I have not seen much evidence of it, even after something as terrible as 9/11.

You serious? :eek:

E_S

25. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    I'm going to explain what I said seeing as people on this thread seem to be making huge statements about something that I actually haven't said. I don't like it when people put words into my mouth [face_plain]

Okay, since you want to debate about that...why are people in America so susceptible to a witchhunt mentality? I have not seen much evidence of it, even after something as terrible as 9/11.

I didn't say this. I didn't say America was going into a witchhunt mentality, that was something you inferred (out of nothing I might add). This is what I said about America - in fact this is the only time I mentioned America.

As for an uprising, I doubt it. American's seem fairly apathetic (at the moment at least) to let things take thier course - which can be a rather nice trait :

That is what I said [face_plain] I was actually praising America and not saying that they were going into a witch-hunt mentality or an uprising.

As for my next statement (in my first post) I didn't mention America. I said from my perspective as a religion student that people were saying some pretty stupid stuff and believing it. If you'd clicked on my username you'd see I come from Australia not America, and so wouldn't you think that what I was saying would link to what Australians were saying to me???? :eek:

Okay, witchhunt mentality at least from a historical perspective normally comes from three things (but also have links to many others.

1)Fear of the end of the world,

2) Unexplainable or uncontrollable events

3) A wish by members of a particular part of the society to push their view of the 'social norm' onto others.

The middle one is the only one that can really be linked to this event (although the other ones are happening in society at this time). The unexplainable and uncontrollable events are the terrorist attacks that have been marring our society more frequently over the past two years. These are unexplainable (as to why people do them - to the average joe thinking anyway) and are uncontrollable as no-one can put a time or place to them. You can't predict them or place wher the next one will be and so they become scary.

In order to get over the fact that this is scary people need scapegoats. The scapegoat in this situcation is more likely to become Islam then anything else.

I'm not saying it will happen. Just that it is something to consider.

Kithera

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.