main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Are we really the sporting nation?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Protege-of-Thrawn, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Wedge mentioned Martin Bryants collection of videos a couple of posts up. 1 question I have about him is, how did he get his hands on an automatic weapon in Tasmania, that was handed in, in Victoria during an amnesty due to a change in their gun laws banning weapons of that type. Those firearms were supposed to have been destroyed. If he didn't have access to that weapon, would his video collection even be relevant??

2. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

"Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

But it makes it that much harder to kill a room full of people when all you have is a soup spoon...

As for the effect of videos - i'll mention my thoughts on the effect of violent videos games in response: all these lawsuits against video game makers for "causing" children to turn into homicidal maniacs. Maybe, maybe not. Apparently the army uses Doom to de-sensitise soldiers to killing folks. Anyway, I was taught to look at things scientifically. And scientifically, if violent movies and or video games or "satanic" music are in fact causing people to kill, then logically, there would be a lot more people out there killing. If there's 3 million copies of Quake sold, and one kid who plays Quake goes on a shooting rampage, then you can't say that Quake is the reason. It might have been a factor, a very small factor (1 in 3 million or so), but you can't explain his behaviour by saying, oh well, he played Quake, so ...

3. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    I read a study that videos or video games actually trigger certain people into thinking that it's alright. Bryant is a bit sick so he wouldn't know exactly what's right or wrong and seeing Bloody Wednesday, he'll be easily influenced.

How he got his gun is another thing. But if you want to get your hands on one, I'm sure he would've kept looking till he got one from anywhere.

4. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Yes, they trigger people - but people who are already well unbalanced.

It's like saying that putting a rabid dog down in front of a video of dogs attacking other dogs is the reason why the dog later goes out and attacks someone.

Consider the other three million people who played the game or watched the movie and DIDN'T go out and kill people. It's not cause and effect, otherwise we'd have massacres every other day.

5. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Who said it wasn't?

People are quick to blame sport for it's violence, but get quite defensive when other forms of entertainment have links to violence as well.

Consider the millions who watch sport every week and don't go out in gangs.

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Like I said, I was just voicing my own opinion. Long live ranting! :)

NOW this post has gone off-topic...we've gone from talking about sport to talking about guns. Quick, close this thread now before we start arguing the educational qualities of Bananas in Pyjamas!

7. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

I'll give you bananas in pyjamas!!

Yet another example of the way modern education is confusing our children, especially through the use of anthropomorphised produce!

During the recent attacks in Afghanistan, (wow, accidentally spelled it Afghanasatan - good job, pentagon!) - children have been incredibly distressed to hear about B2 bombers being used in the middle east. "Why do the bananas in pyjamas want to hurt them, daddy?"

So don't tell me about the educational qualities of bananas in pyjamas!

What a load a nonsense!

8. Astaroth

Astaroth Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2001
    Last time I was in this thread it was about sport

What is this world coming to?

9. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    The policemen being investigated in the NSW "Integrity" commission, are given the names B1, B2, B3 etc.

10. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Oz Haggis.. you said the Army uses Doom to desensitize it's soldiers?!?!?! Man... I must have spent 13 years in the wrong unit :( altho in transport on one of our courses we did play grand turismo 2 on the Sgts kids playstation he hijacked :D

11. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Hmmmm. Maybe it's not the Au army. I just remember it from some ACA story or such, about the shootings in american schools and how they blame violent video games - and they talked about how the soldiers use it to desensitise them to killing and then showed these soldiers sitting down around in a big room, all playing Doom...

...and I thought, christ, what a bunch of tight-arses - you'd think the army could at least splash out on a copy of Half-Life or something! Sheesh.

:)

12. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    It was the US marines playing a specially made Doom wad. It was pretty old news so back then Doom, wasn't that old (no halflife).
    It wasn't a very interesting wad I might add.

13. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    I've been in a shooting range that is the closest thing I've ever been to being inside a holodeck,
    Foot sontrolled joystick controlling your movements, and giant projection screens, you can have upto 8 ppl at a time on them,

14. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    You mean you've never actually been in a holodeck? Our army's pretty tight. ;)

15. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Nope, just grounded in reality...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.