main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Are YOU a lady? Are you?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Everton, Nov 4, 2015.

1. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I'm relatively sure that I am not a lady.

If I am a lady, then I am one hell of a lesbian. :D

2. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    A real lady need not be offended by a toffs' magazine list of attributes that comes down to "manners" and sometimes outdated skills. I didn't understand either list to be gender-proscriptive. It's refreshing to see these things are still valued in some circles. Can we all just be nice humans, please?

Mar17swgirl and Everton like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ramza and I have the same taste in classic-lit men. :cool:

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Eh I disagree completely. I think it's a pretty tacky list. Compare it to a good modern etiquette book (yes, I read etiquette books) and you'll see a distinct difference. They accomplish the focus on manners and decency without the implication that people are inadequate for not following a specific and -- yes, gender prescriptive -- list of norms.

If the list is for lulz, as Everton suggests, that's one thing. If we're actually considering it praiseworthy that's another matter :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

harpua and Admiral Volshe like this.
  5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Honestly. Here comes a first, and hopefully last, serious post. There is absolutely no implication that that anyone is inadequate for not conforming to the list. The only implication is that if you happen to conform to a few of them, you're probably a decent sort (remembering that everything else you have about you is just as valid). The list is not gender-prescriptive. Neither list is. Neither are they intended to be taken entirely seriously. There are points on both that are simply good manners - these should apply to everyone and are to be taken seriously. Indeed it is refreshing that the things espoused in the lists are still valued. There are also points that lightheartedly skewer gender roles in particular social circles (which, incidentally, isn't anything like as small a circle as you'd think reading the posts in this thread - remember we are not a representative sample of society). But none are definitive statements about you, about women in general, or attacks on your own freedom of expression. The magazine even states that the lists are part serious and part tongue-in-cheek. And yet, the (predictable) reaction on here was... well... predictable. My amusement at that reaction? Well it isn't drawn from the fact that many women disagree with the contents (this is entirely their prerogative, as nobody is the same), but from the broad inability of too many people to process something in the spirit it is intended.

Sauntaero and Mar17swgirl like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, like I said it's all good so long as nobody's actually taking it seriously :p I agree that it's funny in part.

I just, for that very reason, wouldn't take it too seriously as a defense of good manners.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I have flunked both the gentlemen's and ladies' lists. I want a long list of criteria determining whether or not I am a child. I bet I'd score really well on that list.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The reactions are the best bit though. It's 1 part confusion mixed with three parts indignation and 2 parts outrage.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Actually, I think most of the posts in this thread are collectively lampooning this list. I haven't seen any legit outrage or indignation.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Indignation is word undersay doesn't understand. Like genocide.

Admiral Volshe, Darth Guy and harpua like this.
  11. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    You guys know what trolling is, right? Or have you forgotten in your severe old age?

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This thread has been ****ing hilarious.

Everton likes this.
  13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I once shagged an accountant who excelled while lovemaking

Havac likes this.