Are you a patriot?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by TheBoogieMan, Nov 28, 2006.

?

Are you a patriot?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
Yes 53 vote(s) 57.6%
No 39 vote(s) 42.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
  2. Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight

star 5
  3. Imrahil Jedi Padawan

star 4
  4. Souderwan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Absolutely. Patriotism =/= nationalism. Being a patriot is about loving your country enough to want to do what you can to make it as great as it can be. That can take a lot of forms, but I am proud to love my country and its citizens. Yes, we have our flaws, but part of being a patriot is recognizing and trying to correct those flaws.

5. Rouge77 Jedi Knight

star 5
    No, I'm not. Patriotism is the first refuge of villains.
  6. SithLord_Danny Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I consider myself to be a patriot. I love this country and what it stands for. That being said I hate the government. I hate how corrupt it's become. I hate that we're fighting a pointless, bloody war and I hate the damn politicians who don't give a rat's ass about the common people. However, I think I'm pretty lucky to be living here. It could be worse, like south of the border worse.
    A thing that irritates me is when paople bitch and complain about the country they're living in and say how much better it is back home(yeah, right) I say if you don't like the priviliges and freedoms you have here(or any other country for that matter) then get the hell out!
    God Bless America![face_flag]
  7. alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling

star 3
    No, not in the traditional sense. Both of my parents are immigrants (from Canada & Australia) and so I was never taught to be a flag-waver. Instead, I was raised on the greatness of all things Australian....and yes, that includes Vegemite. ;)

That doesn't mean I don't have respect for American values, though. On paper they're beautiful- it's the misapplication of them that's a disappointment.
  8. MASTERANNIE Jedi Padawan

star 4
    No, I don't consider myself so. Apart from the fact that here in Italy patriotism is seen as a need of running around screaming our national anthem (even at 2 am, what's the matter?), bringing the italian flag anywhere, and, on the political front, patriotism = close your eyes and ignore anything going bad (and there ARE things going bad, believe me), just say we're a great nation!!!
    ...No, I definitely disagree with that. I can say one thing: I like my country, its places, its food...too bad for the people :(
    I'm going away as soon as I finish university :(
  9. Zaz Jedi Knight

star 9
    Well, Canada is a great country with a stupid, venial, incompetent government.
  10. renegade142 Jedi Youngling

star 3
  11. Vaders_Angel Jedi Youngling

star 3
    To an extent. I agree with those who say that being a patriot doesn't mean following blindly and acting like you can't think for yourself, doing and believing everything you are told. I love this country and wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but I recognize its flaws as well.
  12. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
  13. Zaz Jedi Knight

star 9
    Canadians are usually embarrassed by patriotism and consider it in bad taste.
  14. Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Nope. Don't really care for my country or our government, at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I live where I do (in the US), though I'm not proud to be American or anything like that.
  15. KotOR_girl Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Yes. I love my country and am proud because of that. :)
  16. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    Yes! I love history and my country has a fascinating one. :) America ftw! [face_flag] Anyways, I support our troops, what our Bill of Rights stands for and the right of everyone else to agree with us. (kidding on that last :p )
  17. Aleria Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I'd say I'm a bit of a patriot. I do love my country and very many things about it, though I don't often quite agree with the government...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.