main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Are you afraid of death?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Condition2SQ, Sep 28, 2012.

?

Are you afraid of death?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. No

72 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm not referring to the process of dying--cancer, drowning, car accident, etc.--but rather being dead.

Does the idea of being dead frighten you? Why or why not? How often do you think about it?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No. Dying? Yes, in the way that practically everyone is afraid of it, I suppose. In order for me to be afraid, it would have to be something that I could experience. I can't experience not existing, so it doesn't bother me. I can worry about what it would do to the people I cared about if I, say, died suddenly in a car accident or something-- but I'm not sure if that applies.

EDIT: I also worry about polls not being anonymous. In this case, I am relieved that no one will find out my answer.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Dying and then not existing is fine with me. After all, I didn't exist for billions and billions of years before I was born, so dying will be no different.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    To be honest, I try not to think about it too much.

Hank Hill likes this.
  5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Not in the slightest.

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    It doesn't scare me, but I don't necessarily like the idea of not existing. I like living. It'll be a shame not to find out what humanity will achieve in the future, for one thing. Obviously actually being dead won't matter to me... because i'll be dead, but the prospect/idea of being dead, whilst alive, is a bit crap.

But it's kind of the case where you just have to get over it and live your damn life.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  8. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I'm more afraid of those close to me dying than thinking about my own death.
    It's the burden of the living to deal with the emptiness that's in place where those you loved used to be.
    Thankfully they become a part of you and remain alive through your memory of them.

9. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm afraid of dying any other way but of old age.

Bib Fartuna and Master_Jacen like this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh thank god, an anonymous poll!

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Ulicus likes this.
  12. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I am kinda scared of dying, mostly because I'm afraid there's nothing after death.

13. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    For once, I agree with Danthe. I am terrified of getting older and dying. Irrational fear.

Master_Jacen likes this.
  14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I ponder death A LOT, in the sense that I ponder "why are we here?" a lot. I think I'm more terrified of dying young than anything else.

15. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Death shall come to me when the Lord calls me home to him. I fear it not, but wait for the day on which I meet my Lord and pray he tells me 'Well done good and faithful servant'. Until then I shall continue to do the work that has been appointed unto me and to enjoy the gift of life that has been given to me.

As for how often do I think about it? More often than most given my medical problems. I've accepted the fact I very well won't reach my golden years all things considered, but dying old never appealed to me anyways. I've made my peace with death, be it come tomorrow or 100 years from now. I know my soul will go to heaven, and my loved ones I shall see again.

Honestly I'm more worried about getting my final words figured out, I've got about 50 depending on the manner of my death.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm not afraid of it. Once it happens I won't be around to know it happens cause I'll be dead.

17. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    This sums up how I feel very well.

18. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I remember getting on airplane for the first time and saying to myself "if this plane crashes into the ocean, are you okay with what you've accomplished so far? Is everything in its right place?" Of course I was 17 at the time so the answer was actually a solid "yes" because there wasn't much up to that point I could have done differently. Now of course it's a crazy mess of an answer and thus I'd probably say I am afraid of dying before I accomplish a few more things first.

Though I will make sure my body is cremated just in case of a walking dead scenario. [face_skull]

19. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Not really, as I will have no consciousness after I die. What I am afraid of, depending how it goes, is the pain and/or suffering. My grandma died earlier this year after a long hospital stay and I wish she didn't have to go through all of that, I wish she could have gone peacefully in her sleep.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I believe in and hope for heaven, but I'm at peace with simply "nothing."

Everyone who has gone before me has died, my grandfathers have died, I wouldn't be alone.

It would be like, when you're a kid and you sneak into your already-sleeping parents' bed, and then fall asleep yourself. You won't know or remember they're with you once you're fast asleep, but you know going into it that you'll be together, you know that you're only going to go through the same experience that they did.

Plus, the ripple-effects of our lives will continue long after we're gone. We are part of the universe, and the universe will go on.

Who am "I" really, anyways? Who are "you"? What do you identify yourself as? What is your core, your essence? What part of you is the real you? What part of you do you want to live on, unchanged? If you identify with someone larger than your physical body, then of course you'll live as long as that thing "continues," whatever it is. Do you know who you really are?

People, generally, love at least something about life (what we love in life and why, and what is required for our everlasting happiness, is a separate topic). Because death is a mandatory change into the unknown, some people are afraid that this mandatory self-transformation into who-knows-what will take away that something in life that we love. That's why I think people are naturally predisposed to fear death.

I think mastering the fear of death would eventually lead to mastery of self, which would then give us a new perspective that would allow us to look at death and life with peace, compassion, and joy.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The good book will tell you everything that is known and ever will be known about the fear of death. That good book of course is White Noise by Don DeLillo. It postulates that it's possible to learn to live with a pervasive background level of constant dread.

22. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Yes and no.

23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    at least for a little while anyway.

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The only thing that sucks about being an atheist is I won't get to say "I told you so" after we're all dead.

25. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    As a Christian that is the part of death that I least look forward too.

Bib Fartuna likes this.