main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Are you afraid of death?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Condition2SQ, Sep 28, 2012.

?

Are you afraid of death?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. No

72 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What was it that Dumbledore said? Death is the next great adventure? I'll have me some of that.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    To the well-organized mind, Death is but the next great adventure.
    My philosophy as well.

For now.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Juliet316 like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Regardless, it is a good one to have.

Juliet316 and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. JediTerminator

JediTerminator Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2004
    The death of the Internet will more tragic than the death of humanity.

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yep. Sure is.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  7. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    ... Since when did Dumbledore ever have a well-organized mind? The guy was a whackjob.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Still Brilliant.

9. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    I am afraid of being an invalid or in horrible pain but not death.
    Hook me up to the morphine machine and leave it wide open.
    In fact I've always wanted to live a full active life until hopefully about 70………..

then a quick drug induced/die in my sleep would be fine.
    I do not want to be looked after.

Six likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't want to go cuckoo in old age. I would much rather act cuckoo in my old age.

11. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd much rather be young in my old age, and all of you people who seem to embrace the great oblivion amaze, confuse, depress, and anger me all at once.:)

12. JediTerminator

Aug 23, 2004
    Don't let my views disrupt your great view, Saruman!

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I wouldn't be a fan of living forever. What would I do with all that time?

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Get rich? Then actually enjoy your wealth!

15. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Semi related post ... this man obviously wasn't afraid of death, and felt that his time had come:

http://www.zeroshare.info/

I have read the entire site, and it is very touching. You end up feeling like you knew Martin Manley.

16. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    No, only the method of death. I'd gladly die in my sleep tonight if it meant I didn't have to get eaten alive by a bunch of starved dogs tomorrow. I do want to prolong my life at the moment though as I still have yet to experience many things. But the thought of death actually comforts me... ceasing to exist means nothing bad can happen to me any more. It's an escape from this terrible world, one that I will eventually grow tired of. No, I am not depressed I just see life as it is.

thebadge and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  17. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Yes, but life is so dark and depressing, and the world is cold and unbearable and there is no good whatsoever. I'm so edgy.

The world isn't good or bad. There are good things and bad things, and happy times and sad times. Neglecting to take either end of the spectrum into account is choosing to limit your vision.

I do agree about the wanting to prolong my life because I have yet to experience many things, but I see more to it than that. The way I see it, the universe is amazing. There is so much to do just on this planet, with these people, and that is such a tiny fraction of what is out there, and more possibilities are being born every moment. There is so much to do, so many people to meet, so many places to go, just so much stuff to experience that no amount of time will ever be enough. I could live to be 90 and it would be dying way too young. I could live to be a thousand and it would be the same. I could live to be five billion and it still wouldn't be enough, and so on and so on, ad infinitum. In the end only eternity is acceptable.

And yes, there are bad things in the world, and not all times are happy (something I know all too well) but the way I see it as long as you are alive the possibility exists of things becoming better. To use an analogy I've turned to before, you could be in the deepest, darkest pit of despair, in the most horrible of situations, seemingly without hope for improvement. But the key word there is seemingly. Because as long as you are alive hope remains. It might be a very small amount, but it's there. By contrast death is the absence of hope, the loss of opportunity. Death is the one and only irreversibly hopeless situation, because you're simply gone. You can't feel bad anymore, but neither can you feel joy, or warmth, or love, or any of those other nice things, and neither can you experience any more of the wonders of the world.

So yeah, once you're actually dead you won't care anymore because you won't be around, but while you're still alive why would you think of death as anything other than utterly repugnant? I understand Mr. Clemens's view, but I don't agree with it. Sure, I didn't exist for far longer than I have existed, but now that I'm here and have a taste for life why would I want to give it up?

On the other hand, because of that perspective I'm also somewhat amused by other people in here caring about how they die. In the end it always has the same equally bad result. I would actually prefer the possibility of a slow and painful demise to a quick and unexpected one, because the former could give me more time to maybe try to find a way out of it. And I really couldn't care less about dying alone or surrounded by loved ones, because if I'm at risk of dying that will be the least of my worries; I'll be putting all all of my mental efforts (assuming I'm coherent) to trying to figure a way to not die.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Damn that's deep.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, at least you'd still have your books.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yes . . I'd . . . I'd have time enough at last.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Sarge like this.
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd have all the time to watch every single movie and play every single video game.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Oops! Gee, I'm awfully sorry about that. You have another pair of reading glasses, don't you?

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I have only one pair.

24. JediTerminator

Aug 23, 2004

Benefiting everyone with your bandwidth presence via WiFi.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I would conquer dial-up once and for all!

Juliet316 likes this.