Census Are you afraid of death?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Condition2SQ, Sep 28, 2012.

?

Are you afraid of death?

Yes 31 vote(s) 31.3%
No 68 vote(s) 68.7%
  1. Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master

star 3

Not being a religious person myself, this is what my concern is regarding death--that we just cease to exist. I think part of that fear is why I tried so hard to become a published writer (if only so that I could attempt something akin to a legacy beyond offspring). Unfortunately, said offspring leave me with no time to pursue further writing projects. :p

Anyway, I've read accounts of people who were dead for a couple seconds or whatnot and how they all seemed to glimpse a light which bolstered or renewed their sense of religion. I personally don't buy it, but who knows? My dad once told me that the older people get, the more inclined they are to believe in religion. So maybe I, too, will change my perspective when faced with my own mortality. Until then, though, I'll continue on without giving death much thought.
    thebeanpole likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I'm only 22, so I'm not too worried about ceasing to be.
  3. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Actually, it's been proven that the "white light" is merely a byproduct of oxygen-starved brain cells attempting to survive as long as possible. I can't remember what it's called, but there's a chemical one can take that simulates that exact effect.
  4. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
  5. JediTerminator Force Ghost

star 5
    I cannot prove or disprove that there is something after death, but I guarantee that if there is something; everyone who has died will be in the same place.
  6. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    How exactly do you purport to do that?
  7. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Not afraid of dying. Even if there's nothing after death, I'm okay with this.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. slightly_unhinged Jedi Master

star 3
    Apart from regretting how little I've done with my life, not really. I don't have any belief in an afterlife and I'm comfortable with the idea of my consciousness coming to an absolute end.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
  9. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4

[IMG]
    Juliet316 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I'm 42 and not worried about it either.

As far as people getting more religious as they age, I've actually become much less so.
  11. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    It seems like the younglings on here are the religious nuts.
  12. Sarge Chosen One

star 4
    Heh. IATI thinks I'm a youngling. :cool:O:)
  13. Mr. K Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    I'm not a go-to-church-every-Sunday guy. I'm not even a go every holiday guy...but I have enough faith to believe that there's something wonderful on the other side. Yeah, bring it...it will be interesting. I'm more afraid of the process of dying than actually being dead.