Are you already humming "Across the Stars"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Bubba_the_Genius, Apr 13, 2002.

?

Are you already humming "Across the Stars"?

Poll closed May 15, 2002.
Yes. Yes I am. 84 vote(s) 72.4%
No, even though I've already heard it. 19 vote(s) 16.4%
No, because I want to be spoiler-free, dag-nabbit! 10 vote(s) 8.6%
I don't what you're talking about. 3 vote(s) 2.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "If I had 4 months, the stuff I could come up with would blow Williams stuff out of the water."

You arrogant SOB. [face_plain]
  2. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    No need to flame people, but I also agree that that was very arrogant comment. 90% of Williams's work is awesome, and AtS is one of his best themes.
  3. slavegirl Jedi Master

star 4
    While I agree that was a very arrogant comment, I couldn't help agreeing with part of what he said:

""Across the Stars"...it reeks of old style and over used chord progression. There's not a bit of originality in the whole piece."

Although "Across the Stars" is a very pretty piece, it doesn't sound new or original. But I certainly don't agree with the rest of the sentance!

"so therefore, it's just like any other Williams composition."
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Wow. I love it. I think it's one of the most beautiful things he's ever written.
  5. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Did you ever stop to think that maybe it's supposed to sound like an old style romantic theme?
  6. JonathonVandergriff Jedi Knight

star 1
    You know guys, there are other film composers out there than John Williams. Why not take the time you would have spent flaming me and go listen to something with substance.

Look through your soundtrack collection. Do you have mostly "songtrack" albums (the marketing geniuses realized that you don't actually have to have music that was IN the movie on the soundtrack! What a wonderful idea! Let's fill a CD with stuff that really has nothing to do with the movie!)? Or do you have mostly "scores"? Real film music fans will have very little Williams and have more Max Steiner, Bernard Hermann, Leonard Bernstein, Elmer Bernstein, Jerry Goldsmith, Alan Silvestri, and even my good old favorite Danny Elfman.

Try it. I dare you! Just once, listen to some film music that ISN'T WILLIAMS!
  7. Imrahil2001 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Why come to a board that's explicitly about John Williams to tell people that he's inferior?

I listen to lots of those others. Almost none of them are as entertaining as Williams is.

For that matter, why don't you stop listening to film scores and listen to real composers?

Ims
  8. Tellesto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The thing you?re forgetting here my friend is that although it may sound familiar, Williams is supposed to mimic those old and original styles. He isn?t trying to throw in computer generated Goth like our friend Elfman tends to do, and he doesn?t need a chorus of screaming men and women to portray emotion and elegance through musical cue. When Lucas first wrote Star Wars way back in the day, he wrote it to the tunes of classical music, Bach and Beethoven and such. Thus he envisioned the score for the film to have a classic and epic feel, yet at the same time remain familiar to the audience and listener alike.
    One thing you may notice though in the AOTC soundtrack (which is one of Williams best to date) is that he uses a lot of unfamiliar elements and musical instruments in his work this time around.
  9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I just heard ATS for the first time a few minutes ago, and it is quite beautiful. I'm already humming the refrain ("do dee, do DEE do dee do do"), and I can't wait for that music to match up with visuals in the movie.
  10. Doo-Kimmie Jedi Knight

star 1
    The bulk of my CD collection consists of movie soundtracks, or "scores." Personally, I detest soundtracks that are simply compilations of various popular songs. I have Steiner, Hermann, Korngold, both Bernsteins, Goldsmith, Barry, Kamen, Elfman, Horner, as well as lesser known composers such as Goldenthal and Shore (although Howard Shore is now well known because of LOTR). But the only reason I listen to movie scores is because of one man: John Williams. His style is akin to the scores of the 30s and 40s (Steiner, Hermann, Korngold). He hooked me with the original Star Wars and I'm proud to say I have every movie score he ever composed.

ATS is a nice piece of music and once we've seen it with the film, I am sure its impact will increase tenfold.

Like any art form, of course, everything is subjective but I just wanted to say that I've listened to plenty of film scores and Williams' contribution to the medium cannot be overlooked.
  11. Imrahil2001 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well-said.

My CD collection tends to be made up mostly of "serious music". "Classical" in regular parlance, though little of it is really Classical--but again, I have a fair number of soundtracks, and I must be honest and say that Williams is the reason I listen to any of it. I used to hear it as a child and imagine scenes from Star Wars to it. I progressed from there, but I can't deny that without John Williams I'd never have listened to any of the "real" music like Tchaikovsky or Prokofiev or Respighi or Debussy or Rachmaninov, etc...

And anyway, ANH is just brilliant.

Ims
  12. Balance_Point Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been humming Across The Stars since I first snagged the MP3... that had to be almost a month ago, and I still can't get it out of my head. One of Williams's best tracks in years.
  13. DarthLefty Jedi Master

star 2
    'Beauiful, but sad...'

Leia's own words describe the theme.
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yes. I say it's bloody brilliant. It moved me to tears upon first listen and is every bit as excellent as I was hoping it would be.
  15. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I'm humming it now that I have the soundtrack! I can't keep the song out of my head. It's a beautiful piece of music...by far one of the best in the Star Wars Saga.
  16. Wesmin7 Jedi Knight

star 3
    WOOOOHOOOO, anyone going crazy over it?

Are you mentaly sound if you listen to the sound track for hours and hours on end jumping up and down and running around the house in exitement?
  17. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

I think I read one time that one of the reasons Lucas and Williams want an essentially old-style romantic motif for the music in the STAR WARS saga, is that the characters, planets, environments, clothes, weapons...everything visual, are so strange and unfamiliar, that the music is intended to have a "familiar" sound to it, to give the audience an emotional grounding.

I am reserving judgement on the soundtrack until I see it married to the visuals on the big screen, since that what it was created for. However, I do like a lot of what I've heard so far, and Across the Stars does evoke the feel of a doomed Romeo and Juliet romance, as intended.
  18. Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    I cannot get that (wonderful) damn song out of my head!!!!!

Curse you, John Williams.

-Otis
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yes. It's gets stuck in my head a lot too!

:D

I love it.
  20. Lil_Lisa Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes! I'm already humming it and playing it in my head. :) And it's surprisingly easy to remember too. There are some songs that even after I listen to them many time, I kept forgetting how it goes. But it only takes one or two repeats to get Across the Stars in my head. :D
  21. flyingseal Jedi Master

star 4
    It took a little longer for me 2 remember, when I heard it the first couple of times I forgot it in without a hour or 2 :D but now it just keeps on playing in my head :D :)
  22. Darth Arash Jedi Master

star 3
    I've listened to "Across the Stars" more than any other track so far.
  23. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    It's stuck in my head and it's not leaving. I can't get the Arena music out of my head either...it's just all so good!
  24. ArtificialStupidity Jedi Knight

star 3
    John Williams has his own unique style - which is represented in the masterpiece Across the Stars. I love the song; one of the best pieces he has ever composed in my humble opinion. It has an epic, grand atmosphere to it - a sad, beautiful theme which I value. Due to the fact that I have not gotten my hands on the Soundtrack yet ( I will browse through the Record-shops tomorrow; for I am not sure if the Album has been released here in Finland yet ).

I have watched the Music Video countless times; and I downloaded the track - thinking that it can not be considered piratism due to the fact that it has been officially released online ( in form of a video however ). I am not going to download the other tracks because I want to support Williams's work by buying the Album. I am not sure whether I should buy the Record before or after the Movie's premiere.

Jonathon, many of us listen to other composers - me included. I love the work of Howard Shore, for example; thinking that the soundtrack for Fellowship of the Ring is a classic. Yet as the topic of this thread is John Williams's Across the Stars, it is obvious that no other composers are mentioned.
  25. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.