main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are you an EU Snob?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Praxelwax, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Praxelwax

Praxelwax Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2005
    Are you an EU Snob, or someone who will read anywith with the name Star Wars slapped on it? I am more inclined towards the latter. I have noticed in this forum, that there are many people who say, "I won't read a Star Wars novel written by X again", etc...

If you are an EU Snob, which authors won't you read, and why?

2. The_Hat

The_Hat Jedi Master

Aug 27, 2005
  3. twoguns

twoguns Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    Kevin J. Anderson..

The jedi academy trilogy is probably the worst series of books I've ever read.. If I have to read about a villain with dark hair and rubbery lips again, I think I'll kill myself..

4. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Im also the latter. I'l read anything that says Star Wars on the cover. I dont really listen to the reviews on the boards. I wait to form my own opinion of it.

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I started a thread to extoll my knowledge.

That's beyond snobbery into Donald Trumpian excess.

6. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    LOL! But it's all in good fun.

As for me, I eat it all up, and think I've only read one book I didn't like (CoPL). And I've read all the way from Splinter to Black Fleet! Not to mention any time I get my grubby little hands on a comic, I have to read it.

In fact I am probably the farthest from a snob there is. I really do enjoy almost everything I've read. But here's one way to look at it... Every book that is super hyped (TTT and Shadows) has let me down a little. Every book that is bashed (anything KJA and even Crystal Star) has ended up better than I expected.

So, there ya go

7. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Okay... REALLY weird double post...

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes.

I've read alot of EU, but I'm of the opinion

a) Authors are too bland in their choices,
    b) There's alot of chaff for little wheat,
    and
    c) If it's not Zahn, I probably won't re-read it.

I would love to see a novel set during the OT that doesn't once feature Han, Luke, Leia, Lando or anyone like that. Mara Jade, Thrawn and Karrde mate TTT interesting; and the best part about DM: SH was Lorn Pavan. Heck, TOTJ thrived and so did KOTOR with no familiar characters.

Yes, I'm an EU snob. I read alot of Star Wars, but only think TTT, the first few X-Wing books and the odd prequel novel (an era that doesn't grab me) are decent.

E_S

9. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'll try anything once.

Then I form prejudices

10. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    I am one of those who buys any books/comic with the name Star Wars slapped on it (and I like almost anything written sofar, except for the Infinities-stories and some of the weirder stories in the Visionaries and Tales comics...)

11. Astral_Bug

Astral_Bug Jedi Master star 1

Sep 19, 2005
    No, I'm not a EU Snob.(I hope...)

I don't buy everything SW (but that didn't stop me from reading CrystalStar :oops: ); first I read the rewievs, then decide what to buy.

...even read 3 KJA books, this one did, aye; and Bounty Hunters Trilogy, too.

But, if it's Zahn or Luceno, I'll probably buy the book...

12. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Yes, I'm an EU snob (maybe even uber-snob, if I can claim that title :p). For me, the only good EU books are:

--Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy and (to a much lesser extend) Hand of Thrawn Duology. Even other Zahn works are crap as far as I'm concerned.

--the OT novelizations.

--'Shadows of the Empire' by Steve Perry

I hate everything else, but I reserve utter contempt for the NJO. More recently, I really wasn't impressed with the ROTS novelization and the constant "This is how it feels to be *insert character name*...." gimmick that the author just looooves to use. By the fifth time I see it, I feel like throwing the book.

As far as what author I won't read again, this one's easy: Kevin J Anderson. Not only for his crappy work in Star Wars, but also the Dune prequels (aided by his trusty sidekick, Brian "Let me ruin my father's works!" Herbert).

[face_skull]

13. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    Not in terms of authors, but in terms of form, maybe. I stick to novels, and generally don't bother with comics or younger-audience stories. (I did cave and start reading some of YJK because I needed information, but I'm not impressed. Trying to keep an open mind at least a little longer.)

Lurking - while I have to disagree about the NJO - I enjoyed most of it - the Dune prequels were bad. I read the first 3 that came out, only liked the second of the trilogy, and refused to buy any more.

14. hivemind2nd

hivemind2nd Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2005
    I've read all of the post-ROTJ EU novels except for the JJK/YJK/younger-reader oriented lines. I've nitpicked just about all of them, but have generally found something redeeming in most, except for two--one of which so put me off that I didn't spring for the hardcover, and the one whose TITLE I REFUSE TO NAME.

Back in the old days, I really liked Zahn, Stackpole & Allston, and K-Mac. The NJO has had some bright spots, but I think it just went on tooooooooooooooo long. I haven't gotten into the prequel-era books all that much.

I wonder when McEwok will reply.

15. Silver_mane

Silver_mane Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    I don?t consider myself an EU snob, heck I only have Tales vol 5 as far as comics go, plus I only have around 50 books in my SW novel collection. While I think the NJO tried to go way too much into hard scifi territory I did like some aspects, (action/lightsaber fights/seeing more of the Movie Characters/Saba. I even love Crystal Star, writing so bad that its good, especially if I need something funny to cheer me up.

If anything Im more of a movie snob because movie cannon> EU cannon. :p

So far, I?ve enjoyed many author's contributions to the EU, especially the new Essential Chronology. That way I don?t have to read every SW literature known to man. (Also my wallet thanks me)

16. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    I don't think I'm an EU snob. 6 more novels, and I've read all the Star Wars novels. And I'm a big fan of the graphic novels.

But I've noticed a lot of people hate the Glove of Vader series. Is that actually canon? Because if it is... I might be a snob about crappy childrens books.

17. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Yes, it is.

18. darktalon

darktalon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    Though as I recall lower down the hierarchy than most EU, and extensively retconned. There were a few good ideas buried within the general silliness that I'm sure would have made excellent stories in the hands of a better writer(s), but the books were crap.

19. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    GoDV is as canon as any other SW novel, though thankfully never referenced...

20. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    I've been called an EU snob for a lot of reasons. But the main one? I won't read the Young Jedi Knights books. I couldn't even make it through more than three of them when they came out, and I was at the height of my fangirl read-everything stage then, with the ability to willingly reread any amount of junk.

At the time, no one cared, but since the NJO... ::wince::

I just can't make it through KJA's "adult" work now, though - Tried a few years back to reread the JAT, and I couldn't do it. I might try Darksaber/POT for mocking purposes, but it's a long shot.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    i'm no snob -- I read it all, like it all. There are of course different degrees of like, but there's nothing so bad that I utterly and completely detest it. When I reread my collection, I read them all. Although some books take longer to slog through than others.;)

22. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    <-- EU snob and loving it.

23. Anguirus

Anguirus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2005
    I'm a snob. Just because it says "Star Wars" doesn't mean it's any good. I only read the first three NJO, and I haven't read any new novels in years except for Survivor's Quest, Dark Rendezvous, and Labyrinth of Evil.

24. BroodingLion

BroodingLion Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2004
    I read pretty much all the novels, mostly because even when they suck, I can't stand not knowing what's going on. Of course, the fact that I don't generally have access to the comics also hurts my knowledge base, but that's what the boards are for, eh?

I didn't buy Tattooine Ghost or Survivor's Quest til they hit paperback, though. I think that was because they're more or less standalone, and I didn't have to keep track of a saga like with the NJO.

25. darktalon

darktalon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    Mea culpa. I was sure I'd read somewhere that it was only S-canon. Some elements of it get referenced from time to time, but the writers mercifully leave the sillier stuff (including the eponymous indestructible hyperdrive-equipped glove, since retconned as a hoax with much rejoicing) well alone.

Back on topic, I generally will read anything with the Star Wars name on the front. Though my budget forces me to be quite selective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.