main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are you as excited about AOTC as you were TPM?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DarthDestiny02, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthDestiny02

DarthDestiny02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2001
    I get a great day after birthday gift-- my bday is May 15th!

(I think I know what'll be asking for :) )

2. randall

randall Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2001
    Im very excited.
    Many hardcore SW fans were very disappointed by TPM.
    Why??
    I think it was a great movie.

3. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    No, I hyped TPM so much. It was Episode I, and I wondered what that would look like. Now that we're familiar with many of the characters it isn't so alien anymore. I am excited about AoTC sure but it doesn't have the special quality of being Ep1 and the first SW movie in 16 years.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. noggins

noggins Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I'm excited but in a different way. With TPM it was all new, the first SW movie in years but with AOTC there's a different type of excitement. I think the different marketing campaign with three trailers already being released has helped this alternative view of it...

5. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    I was more excited for TPM: First SW movie in sixteen years, cmon!!! That's not to say that I'm not excited for AOTC.

6. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    I´m definately more excited for AOTC than TPM, because i wasn´t really waiting for TPM until i saw the trailer that is. But now i´ve been waiting for AOTC for almost 3 years, it´s terrifying really! I watch the trailers every day, analyze every shot in´em and yet i´ve managed to avoid all spoilers. Nearly all that is... Crépes.

7. snootchies

snootchies Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2001
    O.k, let's get one thing straight: AOTC is DEFINITELY going to be better than episode 1. Think about it, if you were faced with the task of creating the next starwars film in almost 20 years, would you have done a better job? I think George handled Episode 1 perfectly. YES it has it's flaws, but I actually put it in front of ROTJ. George HAD to tell certain things in episode 1, set the characters in motion. He accomplished that effectively. Anyone following the same storyline would'nt have done much better. As for Jar Jar, well...he did annoy me, just like the Ewoks did (in fact my all-time worst moment from Star wars films is when an Ewok turns to his companion and realises he is dead and cries). I hate that sequence. But these are family films, and you have to concede this. Yes Jar Jar is bloody annoying, but it's a family film, and the kids like it. George is'nt just making these films to satisfy only us die-hard fans, you know.

Soooo, on this premise - I have to say i'm looking forward to episode 2 moreso than I was with episode 1. Episode 1 was a bit of a let-down, but when you think about it, could it ever have lived up to the hype and made better of the story that ultimately HAD to be told within it...I think not. Looking at episode 2 it will be much better than the phantom menace; it has a better story, script, and get's more closer to the original series. It WILL be better; you can take that fact to the bank. (as said in Empire).

So let's just wait, and enjoy - and i'll see a starwars film at the cinema for a third time (but hopefully I won't cry when I see Jabba the Hutt, and get removed from the cinema...I was only five!).

8. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    What is it with the Ewoks? I love those little buggers! I mean, for me they make Return of the Jedi a great film! Well actually the last 30 minutes of the film is what makes it great, but it´s the primitive Ewoks that overcome The Emperors legion of best troops on Endor aintit? Ewoks are cool, they live in the trees and eat people, and crush evil At-ST´s with logs and say "Chabba chabba chabba!", besides, i don´t think they´re cute at all, i think they´re disgusting little furballs!

9. snootchies

snootchies Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2001
    Sorry, I don't share you're appreciation of Ewoks, and I think the majority of people agree with me here. They are a bit cute and cuddly (especially the baby ones) but they ultimately bring the feel of the starwars franchise into a kind of muppet show for an hour - something that, after the feel of The Empire Strikes Back, is just a bit too contrasting. Having said that, ROTJ is still a great film - i'm not saying it is'nt, by any stretch, and I don't think anyone else could have done the Ewoks better with the current technology. It's just that it's a weak aspect of the film, that's all.

Anyway, that was not a debate I meant to provoke I was merely putting Episode 1 into context with the original series, and pointing out that it's not as bad as people claim, especially the DVD version which is absolutely amazing - George has created the benchmark to which all future DVD's will be compared too.

10. Texas_Jedi

Texas_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 1999
    I'm not that excited. 2 reasons why.

1. I've only seen the breathing trailer. I haven't seen any other footage of Clones. I am NOT going to pay Apple 22$ just for a trailer.

2. Count Dooku. An 80 year old actor playing a Sith, and he will probably use that European fencing fighting style. BOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

Maybe if I see a few more trailers my blood will get boiling. As of now knowing that Chis Lee is Dooku I am not excited like I was about Maul.

11. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Dooku is gong to rock some worlds. I'd be disappointed if they got another back-flipping in-yo-face Sith like Darth Maul. I would literally shout out "Laaaaame!" in the theatre.

Dooku will be soooo much more powerful than that wussy Maul ever hoped to be. And his mere presence (like Vader's) will show it.

-Jomero knows some people won't buy that, but he can wait till May and they eat their words

12. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    I agree. :D
    I'm looking forward to Count Dooku more than any other element of AOTC.

13. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    Dooku and Jango are going to rock big time.

14. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I think I am more excited, but it;s a different kind.

I didn't have many spoilers for TPM (Thankyou TPM soundtrack for letting on about Qui-Gon's funeral :mad: ) and my excitement was a kind of awe. I was awed at the fact that 16 years of waiting were over. Not only that, but my fave actor was playing Obi-Wan, one of my fave characters. It was a very dreamlike state leading upto it. ANd at the time, the film did slightly disappoint me. GL's vision didn't match my own, and it felt like something was missing. I know that sounds odd...it's not like I wanna see exactly what I expect. It just didn;t live upto the hype. But no film could. Ever. That's changed now, and I love the film.

About a year after that, my SW enthusiasm died a little. Figures were few and far between, and they didn't excite me as much. Didn't watch the films for a while.

Then, in June, I went home (England) for a couple of weeks, and one of the movie channels was showing all four SW films back to back for a week. 24/7 SW. So I'd watch 'em when I was at the house. Then I went to a few old haunts, and found figures I hadn't even seen in the US. They were about twice the US price, but I was so far back into SW it wasn't even funny.

Until about 2 months ago, I was resisting all spoilers...then I had a moment of weakness, and read the scriptment. Now I'm totally spoiled. But reading the scriptment doesn't make me feel spoiled. It's one thing to read short descriptions, but it will be infinitely more pleasurable to actually see the film. I am glad I read it. It's nice to know what to expect, and it raised my excitement level for AOTC.

As opposed to awe, I'm feeling a sense of...certainty about this film (and I'm normally a "I'll believe it when I see it kind of person". But I like it, am glad I read the scriptment and cannot wait to see this film. It's going to be a long 6 months. Hopefully, my excitement can hold. It's a great feeling.

15. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Ignant shares my feelings on AotC :)
    I'm usually a reserved 'well let's see what this puppy can do' kinda guy.
    But everything I've actually seen so far (meaning pictures and trailers) coupled with what I've read, it's really hard for me to not get excited. This really looks to be my favorite.

But, do remember that I'm my own person with my own opinions and so, just because I think it'll be the best doesn't mean everybody else will. Put it this way, I think RotJ is far better than ESB, so take that for what you will.

16. Texas_Jedi

Mar 9, 1999
    Chris Lee couldn't even "film" a fight scene with Ray Park much less be a more frightening fierce fighter. I think a lot of you who are looking forward to Dooku standing around with that "taunting crap" will be dissappointed. On a MAJOR SCALE! I watched TPM on DVD last night and like I said Chris Lee couldn't even film those scenes. Especially the scene in the hanger and the 1 on 1 with Obi Wan. Just the thought of Obi Wan cutting Dooku's saber in half while kicking him to the floor and Chris Lee trying to kip up off his back to his feet then skipping across the room like a graceful ballet dancer to turn around and fight makes me crack up with laughter. Many of you here don't recognize or know how to appreciate great martial arts moves. But if standing there "taunting" will make you happy then so be it.

17. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Chris Lee is in his 60's. Of course he can't jump around like the 20+ year old Ray Park.

TPM's fight scenes were good, but not the best SW has to offer. It just showed how the Jedi fought before they became decrpit old men. Though I was impressed at first by them, they are not what SW is about. SW duels have more to them than just ninja-esque fighting. Chris Lee is a wonderful swordsmen, and doesn't need fancy flips to be a powerful fighter.

18. Texas_Jedi

Mar 9, 1999
    Beowulf Chris Lee is 80. He was 79 during the filming of AOTC. If he survives until EIII the guy will be nearly 84 years old. You don't think thats a little old to be sword fighting? Some people complained about it was too much CGI in TPM. If they didn't like that they are going to be real disappointed. Lee's fighting will probably be mostly CGI or a bunch of shots from the back of a stunt man's head.

19. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    Lee won't be doing any flips or anything but he's definitely an accomplished fighter and I don't see why he won't do well in his duels. But maybe you're right. Vader was pretty slow and not very flashy with his saber and we know what a crappy villain he turned out to be, right?

20. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I can't say I'm more excited about AOTC than TPM simply because TPM was the Episode I and the first SW film in 16 years.

The hype for AOTC seems non existent compared to TPM. It just seems like the Five Months Before the Release hype was greater with TPM although I probably couldn't back that up.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Metsuke

Metsuke Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    After seeing TPM, I couldn't wait to see Episode 2. I still am having trouble waiting....Man, it is going to be so awesome!

22. Beowulf

May 28, 1999
    Beowulf Chris Lee is 80. He was 79 during the filming of AOTC. If he survives until EIII the guy will be nearly 84 years old. You don't think thats a little old to be sword fighting? Some people complained about it was too much CGI in TPM. If they didn't like that they are going to be real disappointed. Lee's fighting will probably be mostly CGI or a bunch of shots from the back of a stunt man's head.

I didn't know that he was born in 1922. Give a guy a break when he's judging by appearance. He looks like he's in his 60's. He's kept himself in damn good shape. He'll last through Ep. III, and the LOTR series as well. His fighting will be superior to Ray Park's, because it won't be fancy like TPM. And it won't be CGI either. Just because a man is 80 doesn't mean he can't run around like he's in his 50's.

23. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    You've gotta laugh when non-spoilers bash bits of AotC after admitting that they've only seen a 30 second trailer, as if they know already how Dookus going to fight. It's like, the posts define 'ignorance'.

24. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Oh, by the way, Chris Lee has been dubbed as a "champion swordsman", it's a known fact that he's the greatest swordsman to grace the screen, and if you've seen any recent interview footage of him recently (or if you at least go to watch LotR) you can see he's extremely healthy for his age.

25. Beowulf

May 28, 1999
    It is quite ridiculous to judge how one will fight when you only see them for about 3 seconds in a minute-long trailer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.