main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Are you feeling kinda . . . LOST? The CASTAWAYS OOC Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by SirakRomar, Mar 6, 2013.

1. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007

No, this is not the group for social outcasts within our community. Although you are more than welcome to make yourself a home, pals. This is the discussion forum for all those who wish to talk, speculate or chat about CASTAWAYS, our SW game on the forums that deals with a group of people stranded on a mysterious planet in the middle of nowhere. Players, lurkers, interested parties and curious can feel free to discuss everything concerning the games OOC.

So go ahead, feel free to discuss.

What can I add? I offer the two main threads. The pilot and the first few Episodes were played on the Tempboards.

http://boards.theforce.net/xentemp/index.php?threads/star-wars-castaways.273/

Later we moved to the glorious new boards and continued our adventures here . . .

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/castaways.50003471/

2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    First! [face_laugh]

So, the most burning question I have on my mind is . . . what do you guys think IT is? I must say I expected one of the usual suspects there, but at this point I am pretty sure we have no Sith there or anything. So what the hell is it?

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  3. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    I guess it must be something that had contact with Jedi before, because the Jedi obviously hunted it. Then again, I am unsure if that Jedi ghost is not just another deception by IT.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That was my first thought as well - that it has something to do with the Sith or perhaps it's a strong source of Dark Side energy, such as the cave on Dagobah. But I'm starting to doubt that more and more the further we move forward. I'm now thinking something along the lines of the supernatural.

5. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Cece - I WANT LORN< DANG IT!!! :p

And IT has some interesting abilities. VERY Interesting abilities. Illusions. Misdirection.
    Ability to get into so many heads all at the same time....

And IT definitely has help!

[face_devil]

Oh yes, quite wicked!

6. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Yet it seems to be unable to affect the physical world, right? It solely seems to be limited on mindgames and illusions, with not the slightest hint it has the power of telekinesis or the like.

Anyway, since we have the chance to talk to you Sirak outside the game thread, I wanted to post a few questions, okay?

1. How long is CASTAWAYS planned to last?

2. Will you take new players? I realized we have some losses.

3. Any specific orders we see the flashbacks?

7. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    TSG, in a moment, yes? Something I need to get rid of first. I kinda need a little help here.

Now that I have my own discussion group, I would like to use it. There is something I have carried around with me for a few weeks now. And I think you guys have a say in it and anyway, I need some counsel on it.

Right now we got 8 players in the game. 9 if you count LordT who will guest star once or twice in the foreseeable future.Quite a nice number, if you ask me.

Over summer three of those players will have to leave the game, with a fourth probably doing very limited duty due to other commitments. At least two of those players had major parts to play in Season 2.

So the first idea was to d what all TV series do too. Have a summer break. Obviously that´s a risk, a big risk. I feel already my holiday breaks are draining attention from our game and posts have become less frequent. A whole summer might actually do worse. Yet, we might also have a fresh start into Season Two and if most of you return, I would say it might be better for the game as a whole and my motivation, as I feel playing CASTAWAYS LIGHT is not what I will enjoy a lot. We obviously are approaching the finale of Season One and that would be an amazing moment to have this break, would it?Or will I thrust nails into CASTAWAYS coffin? My motivation is to end this game one day with the finale I envisioned for it, the story concluded and my players happy with it. Yet, I am unsure how to do this best.

SHALL CASTAWAY WAIT FOR ALL OF IT´S CAST TO BE AVAILABLE AGAIN AFTER SUMMER AND HAVE A SUMMER BREAK?

Opinions, arguments and thoughts are very, very welcome.

Claire

8. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If there's going to be that many players missing (I'm not exactly sure my schedule either), then I think it would be best to put it on hold until a set date.
    If we have a set date then it will make sure we all know when to come back, of course there's always the chance it would collect dust.
    How long would the break be?

I personally would prefer to have it be with all the players. While we wait, something like dream-land for the other players might work, backstory and character development or some such activity might be ok for a "lite" Castaways.

9. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    I think Episode 5 would last until end of May and then we would have a break for June, July and August, before hopefully returning with the full cast in early September.

Lady_Viscretus likes this.
  10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Honestly, I don't feel a hiatus is the right answer, especially if we ever plan to see it through to the end. I understand that players will be missing, but we don't have a very good track record of games recovering after they go on break. Like you said, it's a nail in the proverbial coffin and it will be very hard to bounce back from that...if we can bounce back from that.

At this point, I think we need to either continue onward (with an option to bring on new players - TV shows tend to introduce new characters with each new season and this would be the perfect opportunity) or we need some alternative to keep the interest level up until the game can return in full force. I think Admiral Volshe has the right idea in that we can explore the backstory of the characters (although, I guess you could say the flashbacks currently serve this purpose) or do something like a dream-like state acting as a side quest.

11. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I actually need to give this some thought . . . but anyway it would be a gamble, Claire. Sure, this worked. SotS had a nearly full returning cast for it´s sequel. Then again, I had a year of a break, but basically kept on playing with most of my players in some capacity. But "the break idea" also went terribly wrong. I remember both TORR and Twilight loosing plenty of interest and players in the downtime. The question is, can you actually continue with your cast as it is? No doubt a crippled crew might be just as dangerous for continuation as a break.

So anyway, I´d say in the end I trust your storyteller abilities more than the readiness of all players to return on schedule. DRL is just to cruel and unreliable. Looking for alternatives might be the right way, therefore.

12. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    Seriously? Have a BREAK.

I know, I know, there is a risk. A considerable one. Nobody has to remind me what good the break did The Forever War, or how our last serious attempt to do a flagship was ruined by the break it had . . . I remember those failures all too well. But there are overlooked opposite examples. WingedJedi did a break on ManCubs and lost one player (through board-leaving). Fin had obver a year break between Sins of the Saints and Sins of the Fathers and he had a 100 percent returning cast, which was as hungry as before. Actually maybe a bit more hungry . . .

So what are the chances? Chances? This is not math? This is a question of wether people WANT a sequel, or if people do NOT want one. Most of us been around for years. We will be around in August! (Well, I won´t different problem) . . . so if we continue with Season 2 is our decision. We decided for several games to return after their hiatus, we decided against it for several others. If there is a good reason to have a break, have one.

Is there? Well, it is obviously you put love into this game and thought and passion. We are now what? 700 posts old? Quite good, I´d say. You gave us a game when all others were crying little softies in the old TempBoards. So Sirak, I see your point . . . 50% and two major plots cut? CASTAWAYS deserves better than that.

there is another reason, an even better one. You started doing this game with the intend to mimic TV Shows in their style and life-cycle. I think lately you think too much in game-terms, GM-terms and too little in the spirit of your game. It´s a show! they can always be cancelled before their time has run out! I go even further . . .

TSG asked:

How long is [IT] supposed to last?

I know the answer. You recently decided to cut content and do only three seasons, a bit more a trilogy or three act thing. Stop it! It´s a hsow! It runs until cancelled! Run this game until you have no more players or until you feel it is artistically so bankrupt you need stop it (or until you think you told all stories). If it´s two seasons, so be it. If it´s ten and we all sit here in ten years, give it a GO! If it runs long enough, I´ll return eventually for a guest role at least . . . I promise.

Do one of your other awesome projects. It will raise your status and therefore make recruiting new blood for Season 2 more easy.

So if you feel like a break is good, do one. Start Season 2 with a bang, try recruit fresh blood and then see where it takes you.

13. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Hmm..

Im not in favor of a break. Then again, Ive spent the last few weeks away from the main group, so its different for me. But trying to keep up momentum, or trying to regain it after a long break is difficult. Maybe the others could get 'separated' like Cece did. I guess it depends for how long. A couple of weeks, maybe. Three months...would be too long.

But that's just my opinion. :)

Arent there other folks who could do their flashbacks during this time as well? We still have a lot of planet to cover.. lol.

And lets not forget...IT. :)

(Like we could!) :p

HanSolo29 likes this.
  14. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    From what I get from my ongoing discussion with the involved parties we are talking about 4 of our players and an absence (or very limited services) for 3 month minimum, 4 month more likely. Different reasons for them to leave, so one or two might be gone even longer. That leaves me as far as I can see with several options who lead to several possible outcomes . . .

I must say keeping up Momentum will possibly be impossible. I will have to regain it when we return. That´s a challenge. But as draco rightfully said, other GMs did the trick. I guess I would find out if I am a GM who can or if I am a GM who cannot pull it off. New players are a great idea, but so far my casting calls were usually answered by one or two players, so do not expect a thrid group to enter the picture. I believe we might have harvested what players are interested in a niche-game like this.So will there be new players? I welcome them, especially if I got capacities from leaving players. But I don´t count on them. It´s not like I got a waiting list.

Well, since a few days ago I would have been idle and would have pointed out, I got the perfect cast anyway, but my stars get a bit diva lately and need a quarter year off :p

So I gave the whole idea of doing something "different" a long good thought. Doing three month of IT-dreamland would be something like creative bancruptcy for reasons I cannot reveal. AndI feel like overusing one atorydevice to kill time won´t lead to me . . . keeping Momentum. Actually I bet this game will swim in that river near Bugland, before any of my missing players return. Flasbacks are interesting. While I actually had something of a plan what to reveal when, I think those characters who CANNOT be shown yet are those who won´t be around anyway (with one exception, but I can write around that or just abandon that one twist I had in mind). So I might look into the flashback idea, seriously to cover the time or at least some portion of the time.

That being said . . . I must confess I expected to be confirmed in my idea that having a break might kill the game and therefore I should go on without my beloved players (which will lead to them not getting back into the game, obviously. We had more "game-comebacks" than "player-comebacks" from my experience). But Draco (of all him?) has a point. It is tough to recreate Momentum for a game, but it is hard to uphold Momentum, too. And we lost some already, which is probably just natural. A break, probably not three month, but a break could help regaining momentum, or make us loose all of it. But that´s a GM risk I need to decide if I am willing to take it.

The point is, when we return after a break I have a chance of returning with all my cast or fail. If I go on like nothing happened, I am pretty sure, I´ll loose half my cast.So we will not just go on. That would be a nial in the coffin so bad, I don´t see the advantage to having a break.

A break might also allow me to kick of this Multi-GM thing I had planned for quite some time, would it?

15. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    So, I will soon talk a bit more about the situation, but I must say . . . I feel like Draco made a pretty good point there.

Anyway, until then . . .

CASTING CALL

One player wanted for a special guest role in CASTAWAYS!

I will last probably no longer than a month and will provide key information to my certainly lurkung players! It will also be a fun little adventure story, I am sure.

I think it won´t need more than probably ten posts to play out his character, but I promise he will make a lasting impression on all Castaway players. Despite a defined role in the mythology there will be quite a bit of freedom in the way the character develops. Therefore a player is wanted who enjoys breathing life into a character and enjoys a creepy little tale of exploration and damnation.

If anybody is interested, please send me a PM and I will reveal a bit more about the role.

Claire

16. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    OOOH!..the plot thickens!!

and LOOOORRRRNNNN!!!! WHERE ARE YA?!?!??!!!

:p

17. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Have no fear . . . Lorn is here!

18. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    YAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

[face_dancing]

BTW....NOBODY asked CECE if she talked to anyone!!!
    They just asked WHERE she had been!!!
    :mad:

*Silly adults...*
    Jerks! :p

19. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    Well, I think we have established by now that Anora is not a trusting or generous girl :p

20. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    HEHEHEHHEHHE

Paranoid much? :D

Ah well...

21. MyrialofKanz

MyrialofKanz Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2011
    I call her cautious :p

Oh my Sith, I predict we will not all get of this one alive. And Draco, KEEP YOUR HANDS OF MY SON!!!!

22. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    well, Season Finale is always a good point to get rid of a few expensive actors to make next season more profitable :p Start thinking like a TV show producer now.

23. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Okay, I think I cracked the plot. we all died in the crash and now . . . we are in some sort of afterlife to cope with things and then move on to the light! Heard it here first!

24. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    No button no light. All I say. Inspired by LOST, not bound to repeat the few (but fatal) mistakes it did :p

25. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002