main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are You Glad Lucas Made The Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by LordBlack, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordBlack

LordBlack Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    With ROTS all wraped up and the Prequel trilogy complete, are you glad Lucas set out to tell how Anakin became Darth Vader? Or do you wish they were never made?

2. chaos9001

chaos9001 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    seeing Anakin fall for tangible reasons, and seeing how palpatine conned his way into office make up for Jar Jar greatly, so i will say, yes, i am super glad lucas made them

3. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    ^^ But if he never made the PT, he wouldn't have to make up for Jar-Jar.

I personally have mixed feelings. Since I'm only 15, I never saw the originals in theaters. Thie PT gave me a chance to get wrapped up in the hype and see the movies as they were released. On the other hand, I was largely dissappointed my the first 2.5 films of the PT.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

4. astinus4

astinus4 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    Definitely glad they were made. Sure I wish the quality of the dialogue and acting was better, but
    I think the overall storyline has enrichened the entire saga. I think the key is to not over-analyse them as stand alone movies, but view them as part of a larger saga. Episdoes I and II are just set up - the story really gets going from ROTS onwards. Besides, how can you be a Star Wars fan and NOT want to see the Republic/The Jedi at their prime?

I'm really looking forward to watching all 6 episodes in chronological order. After all, when the more cringeworthy moments come around my old friend, the fast forward button, will be there to help. I've had plenty of practice doing it for 50% of ROTJ for years.

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    This thread is better suited for the Prequel Trilogy Forum.
    Saga is intended as a serious and in-depth center for discussion of topics which bridge the two trilogies.

http://boards.theforce.net/Prequel_Trilogy/b10669/

To answer your question, yes I'm very glad.

-Seldon

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yes, I'm happy, but this should be in PT. ;)

7. LordBlack

LordBlack Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    Maybe, but then again, only PT LOVERS will enter that area, making this thread redundant.

8. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    YES! The PT and it's production have been such a huge part of my life the past 8 years.I'm really gonna miss all the speculation, Rick McCallum's updates etc etc.On top of all that, I love all 3 films, i feel bad for those who are disappointed with them because, after all, they are SW fans too! It's a shame that some fans just could'n't connect with the new films the way they did the OT.I see SW as one Saga, each episode having it's own strenghths & weaknesses but all sharing the same sense of fun & adventure. :)

9. Darthnidan

Darthnidan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    Hell Yes i'm glad these movies where made! I've been waiting since i was a kid to see what Vader was all about and just how he had managed to survive a lava pit. Very exited have been able to finaly see it.

10. POTAStar

POTAStar Jedi Master star 2

May 26, 2001
    Hell yeah.

11. Wrathchild86

Wrathchild86 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    I cant keep the fanboy mask anymore. Hell no!!!

The ideas were there but executed in the worst possible way.

He should just stuck with the OT and made other kinds of movies.

The PT is one big animated comercial. BAD acting,story,dialog and so on. Like the man said himself. I have become the the very thing I tried to avoid. That shows in the new films he made. On the other hand;) I had a good time at the cinema and ROTS was a cool movie like most of the CGI movies they make today. Big step in the Digital arena. Thats about it[face_peace]

12. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    Very happy they made the new movies.

will they ever equal the old, is up for debate and discussion, and in my opinion no. (but ROTS comes close.)

But, they do add depth and story and create a saga.

the life and times of anakin skywalker...and his redemption by the kids.

I waited all my life for these prequels, and at times was extremely impressed and others was a little disappointed...

but all in all they are all greatly entertaining movies...

will they ever be as good, or as i imagind them all those years...NO..impossible...but they came close and did a heck of a job

I wouldnt trade in the PT for anything...
    i like the OT more, i grew up with them and know them better and have watched them tons of times since i was 4.

but i truly like them all, and love that i now have 6 films to choose from

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm glad for the fact that we had new Star Wars films to talk about but not for the actual films /story themselves. Overall, I still feel he should have stuck with just the OT or at least come up with something similar to the level of ROTS for all three films.

14. STF

STF Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    I'm certainly glad they made the PT. I've enjoyed all three movies with ROTS clearly my favorite. It was a fun ride and I'm glad I got to see the rise and fall of Anakin.

15. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Very glad. I don't see how people cannot be.

It gave me 3 new movies to go bonkers over and I've liked them all. If someone wasn't a fan of them I'd just suggest they ignore them and enjoy the OT.

16. I_Bent_My_Wookie

I_Bent_My_Wookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    The PT turned me from a casual fan to a big SW nut. So, yes. I am.

17. ZachH

ZachH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    I'm very glad for the pt I like them all very much.

18. sword_of_raditz

sword_of_raditz Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    "Luke, I have something to tell you."
    "You're my father?"
    "No, I wanted to tell you I'm happy Lucas made the Prequel Trilogy."
    "What the &$@*#&@?"

19. LukeGroundwalker

LukeGroundwalker Jedi Master star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    Even though I love the OT so much more than the PT, I am still glad that they were made. Even though they had bad dialog, they still filled the space that was needed to be filled. I just wish George would of made them better.

20. Ronin81Dan

Ronin81Dan Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2005
    Personally, I'm glad they were made. As someone mentioned above, it's nice being able to see the jedi in their prime and the old republic at the height of it's power.

However, now that they are all complete and nothing new will be added to the movie universe from their time, I am disappointed in the end result. I agree with pretty much everyone that revenge of the sith was the best of the prequels. Imagine if Revenge had been Episode I. The saga begins while Anakin is only a few years out of his Apprenticeship. I think that he could have turned at the end of Episode I('Rise...' being the end of the movie) and then you could have two episodes left for all the stories around the various Jedi masters(instead of a 5 minute montage however good it was).

Basically? They are Star Wars, I'll watch them all the time in Chronological order, but the truth of the matter is that they don't hold a candle to the original trilogy and there may be a day where I stop watching I & II, and just watch III through VI and call it a day.

21. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    Though I have my problems with the prequels, I'm still glad Lucas made them. I am starting to look back in the last 6-7 years, and it has been a fun ride, looking at spoilers, waiting for the trailers, and then the anticipation of each movie every three years. I don't think there is one movie out there anymore where I say 6 months before it comes out, "I CANT WAIT!" The one thing the prequels did is bring a whole new generation of Star Wars fans into the frey, and though I am an OT generation person, it is cool that there is an age group now that says the prequels are there's. I love the OT much better than the prequels, but it will be cool to have 6 Star Wars movies to watch on DVD in November.

22. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I'm definitely glad.

It means we don't have to wonder what happened before while watching the OT like we once did

23. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    To be quite honest... No. I prefer the OT over the PT any day. To some, like myself, the PT has been very hit and miss. Mostly a miss for me. I'm afraid that GL damaged what good reputation he had in the movie making world.

24. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Overall -- yes. I would have preferred a better PT, but they were still fun in their own way.

25. Viceroy_Wagar

Viceroy_Wagar Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2004
    A better Prequel Trilogy eah? Well what would that be like, what should George have done?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.