main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are You Glad Lucas Made The Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by LordBlack, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Uh, Lucas already had plans for Boba Fett long before he released TESB. The only effect fans had with Boba was his cameo in ANH and the expansion of his scenes in Jabba's palace. The fans had no impact on his role in AOTC, because Lucas had already set out to tie him in back in 78-79.

2. LordHelmet1

LordHelmet1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2006
    If you listen to the ROTJ commentary, Lucas admits if he knew Boba Fett would have become this popular, he would have given him a cooler death, but he just looked at him in 1983 as just a bounty hunter. Lucas may have had Boba Fett in mind in 1978, just like he probably had guys like IG-88 and a host of other cool villians, but I don't buy for one second he had Jango Fett as the Clone Template. Boba & Jango were put in the PT just like Chewbacca was in ROTJ, to appease the OT fans.

3. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Lucas knew, from the get go, that the Stormtroopers were clones and that they came from a bounty hunter. He just didn't have a specific bounty hunter in mind until he came up with Boba Fett.

He altered that plan a bit later by creating Jango Fett, the original bounty hunter. But, the clones were always connected to a bounty hunter in his backstory outline.

4. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    You know that's something I really never though about before that all the Stormtroopers or a good number for them were clones. Not until the PT came around and I saw AOTC. But know it's easy for me to see.

5. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I have been waiting for Seven years from 97 to 2005 to see how Anakin becomes Vader, I finally get to see it. Like Hayden said Episode 3 is the movie everybodys been waiting for. I concure.

6. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    The prequels are my favorite part of Star Wars......for so many reasons

7. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004

You're just an OT basher.

Strilo edit: That's baiting and violates the fans/films rule.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Boba Fett was always connected to the Stormtroopers. In "The Making Of The Empire Strikes Back" and "The Art Of The Empire Strikes Back", Lucas and Joe Johnston created Boba's armor to be white like a Stormtrooper's. Then it was changed to what we know it as now. In the novelization and those guides, it was written that Boba wore the armor of the Shocktroopers. A team of warriors who fought the Jedi during the Clone Wars. Later on, the name Mandalorian was coined to describe who Boba was. Also during the writing of TESB, Lando Calrissian was to have been revealed to have been a clone from the Clone Wars. That his "father" cloned many "sons".

Just as C3PO is found destroyed, Leia begins to suspect Lando as a clone. On the way to dinner, he admits to being one of many sons, cloned from his father. His sister has cloned herself many times as well. Since the war, most of the clones have died, and he feels very alone.

--The Annotated Screenplays and the Jedi Bendu website.

However, Lucas opted not to go into the backstory of Lando and when he was sitting down to tell the story of the Clone Army, he used his old backstory bit for Lando and applied them to Boba. Jango was created as the source.

In what would be a surprise, an article from circa 1979 speculated that the Stormtroopers were clones. Though I don't have it linked, a sci-fi magazine from that time had unknowningly made a correct guess as to what the Stormtroopers really were.

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Link is in my bio.

And it's not really speculation. More like a flat presentation of facts.

10. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    sinister,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. See, Lucas did have certain aspects thoughtout to a point.

11. lovelucas

Mar 19, 2004
    lovelucas posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The prequels are my favorite part of Star Wars......for so many reasons
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're just an OT basher.

Show me the money colivo

12. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    Strilo edit: More baiting. Time for a break.

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Thanks to Lucas and his prequels (and by extention the SE), we will never have to watch the O-OT again if we don't want to. [face_dancing]

Strilo edit: Considering that this post is entirely off topic, it seems to me to be an extension of the bickering in CT. It comes off as total baiting, Go-Mer.

14. lovelucas

Mar 19, 2004
    Jerry Maguire is a great movie, but I still don't know what that means pertaining to you being an OT basher, cause you know you are an OT basher.

Show me the money - put your money where your mouth is. Put up or.....I'm sure you know the rest

Strilo edit: Don't take the bait, man...

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    West End Games' Star Wars Sourcebook from 1987 also speculated the stormtroopers might be clones.

The idea was out there for a long time.

16. lovelucas

Mar 19, 2004
    George has been thinking about all of this for a mighty long time - knowing the back story of Anakin and where he wanted the focus to be etc., but this is a cool addition, knowing that pre-thinking, preceding pre-visualization, extended to characters and details beyond the leads.

17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am just going to say shame on those of you who brought your bickering into PT from CT. You know better. Let's get this thread back on track okay?

18. sonofcoruscant

sonofcoruscant Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 14, 2006
    I know Ive posted it before, but it was a bit back in this thread.

For me basically,

I am glad the prequels were made, period. And it makes me feel good that there are people, and will be people, who feel about the new movies as I feel about the old films. This alone made their making worthwhile.

Star Wars is great, it is exciting and life affirming and chalk full of everything a story should have. But like any story which has grown so big, there are bound to be at least some things that dissapoint, it happens. If you really can not stand the prequels, dont watch them. I had to take some of my own medicine on this as far as the changes to the OT went. I bitched and moaned about it....but finally just watched the old.

19. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm glad they're out there on one hand as it's gotten many people who weren't interested in the franchise before, to become Star Wars fans. On the other hand, it's hurt Star Wars's standing in the public eye(however that could very well be temporary.)

I think that overall I'm glad they were done, and while I would have done a lot of things differently I can appreciate the way Lucas did them.

20. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    i was excited when i heard they were being made, i enjoyed seeing them in the theater, but given the dissaster that RotS is i would have to say:

No i am in fact sorry they were ever made.

The PT started with TPM and it's all down hill from there, that first movie is the only one that feels at all like the OT, the other two feel more like a completely different film franchise to me.

21. LittleGreenManYoda

LittleGreenManYoda Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    Yea I was really excited when I heard Episode I coming out, people hated it and thought it was crap but I loved it and still do thought it was a great prequel opener.

22. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Yes, and today I was just browsing in a TV store and in there special Big TV rooms what movies did they have going first room ROTS on a $8000 HD TV Plasma, the picture and clarity was just perfect, when viewed this way it cannot be denied this movie looks the best of the series, then again it was playing on the most expensive TV. I saw details that I never noticed before. And like many of you I have seen it into the double digits.

Next room TESB SE again excellent TV but just not as good a ROTS for pure looks.

Next room had ANH SE going again with again a 50" fantatisc TV, it's amazing this movie looks so good. It's the best pre 90's movie ever by any standard.

Yes a good TV makes all the difference.

23. ericferguson

ericferguson Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2004
    Some say that you can never re-live great experiences. But with the Prequels, it was great meeting great new characters like Jar Jar and the young Anakin (8 years old) and Wato.

In the Original 3 there was never a 20 minute Pod race which was totally fantastic, so yeah, it was great!

24. Gungan_Sith

Gungan_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    Of course I'm glad Lucas made the prequels. I'm too young to have seen the Original Trilogy in theaters, and my first Star Wars experience was seeing the Special Editions in theaters back in 1997. That made me a fan of Star Wars.

The PREQUELS, however, made me a complete Star Wars geek. I would say that AOTC was what really made me into a geek, though. In my opinion, an opinion shared by very few people, the Prequels are far superior to the originals. The dialogue in the prequels is almost poetic, and it seems even more like a fantasy world.

So, yes, I am very glad. My life would be sad without them.

25. Droid

Droid Jedi Master star 1

Feb 28, 2000
    Yes I'm glad that Lucas made the prequels. I don't like The Phantom Menace but Episodes II-VI are indistinguishable as five separate chapters of my all time favorite film franchise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.