main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are You Glad Lucas Made The Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by LordBlack, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almost-Human

Almost-Human Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    Yes, I am quite pleased that Lucas made the PT. I am a HUGE OT fan but I really enjoyed the PT. Sadly, we live in such a cynical world that people feel the need to expect the films to be on par with "The Godfather". I love the whole saga but if we are all honest here, none of them are beyond flaw. They were never meant to be the epitome of great filmmaking. They were constructed simply as being entertaining films that provide an escape from reality. And on that level, they all succeeded at that.

2. Darth-Erevos

Darth-Erevos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2006

Glad is an understatement! i really really LOVE the PT! ROTS is my fav in the saga followed by AOTC and ESB. Seeing ROTS was my most amazing cinema experience. i could hardly breathe in the opening sequence. =D==D==D= [face_peace]

3. JediPI323

JediPI323 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2006
    Yes and no. I'm glad that he wanted to make the prequels I just wished he had come up with a better story and maybe had Spielberg and Cameron direct Ep II and III.

4. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006
    I agree. I was so pump for the PT...and looking back at them now, I wish Lucas had come up with a better story and a better characterization for "Lady" Skywalker- someone more interesting.

So I decided to take a stab of writing what could have been better but keeping the same characters and adding depth to them and what not.

But that doesn't mean I don't like the PT...I just think that it could have been better. If Lucas had Dooku appear in the first one, great... but he wasn't. and Jar jar Should have never been created ... lol. Thats one aspect I disliked and little anakin was another one I didn't like. and the Ten year gap between ep1 and 2...was too much. Why that much? anyway.

I'd give a 7/10 for the PT.

10/10 for the OT.

5. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    That's a first.

The only prequel film that flows and feels like the OT is RotS.

TPM is if anything, farthest from.

6. Boba16

Boba16 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2006
    Actually I am not glad he made them now, cause sadly they have affected the O-OT, cause Lucas is so steadfast about the sagas meshing, he will only give the OT/SE a quality release.

If Lucas would have kept the OT the way it was from 77-83 and just made the PT story, and let the movies be as Episode I - VI, there would be so many fans who wouldn't hold a grudge against the PT. Whatever Lucas tries in changing the OT movies in future releases with more tieins, fans have made their decision about loving or hating the PT, and nothing will change.

Now the PT has affected my enjoyment of the O-OT, cause now there is two versions of the OT, and only one is recognized with a quality release, and the other is a bone to all those millions of fans who supported Lucas from 77-83, and even from 97-05 when we didn't love his stuff, but we were still there.

Everytime I put in my O-OT non-anamorphic disks, I can't help but feel some hatred towards the PT, cause that is the reason why I have to hit zoom on TV to get average quality of my 3 favorite movies. It isn't fair to the PT, cause it should be something seperate that the fan chooses to recognize or not. The OT story can work as a complete story, and it did from 1983-99, and if the viewer chooses to view the PT as part of the story, that is great, but unfortunately I don't anymore.

7. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm happy with ROTS but the others needed various tweeking in order to be just right.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    People wouldn't be more preceptive if Lucas left the OT alone. In fact, it'd be pretty much the same reaction.

9. Boba16

Jun 18, 2006
    I disagree, cause the one thing Lucas did not do was change ANH to fit the new story of Vader being Lukes father in ESB & ROTJ. If Lucas would have went back during the OT days and changed scenes in ANH like the conversation between Kenobi & Luke about Vader killing Lukes father, so he wouldn't have to come up with 'from a point of view' in ROTJ, many fans like myself would have been pissed that he was tampering with the Original SW, and maybe have been turned off as OT fans.

The great thing about the O-OT is Lucas adapted each new movie to fit the original story and not rechanged the movie before it. With the PT, he did the opposite, and that is why Hayden is inserted in ROTJ as a cheap visual gimmick to 'tie' the sagas better now as the saga defenders say.

Sinister, I am not saying that OT fans who complain about the PT now would be head over heels for the PT if the O-OT were never changed, but many fans didn't love ROTJ, and think the quality dropped there, but still say they are OT fans, cause nothing was changed then. By creating the SE, Lucas has actually given a reason for OT fans not recognize the PT, they can watch the O-OT.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    And yet, there are people who don't like ANH either. Because it stands out like a sore thumb and/or is meh. But I digress. The only reason Lucas didn't change that scene in ANH, is Hamill and Guiness were both older looking. Not to mention Hamill's scars from his accident. He could've dubbed in new lines, but then he probably felt that it worked having Obi-wan keep this from Luke to protect him. Parents lie to children all the time or withhold the truth. Anyway, to Lucas the story was fine. It was the visuals that bothered him more in ANH.

11. Boba16

Jun 18, 2006
    No, the reason Lucas didn't change ANH is because nobody had a problem of it flowing into ESB or with ROTJ back in the day, so he didn't need to have these visual gimmicks to justify the saga in his own mind.

Now Lucas is content on everyone seeing it 1-6, and that is fine, but when you have to start changing scenes in the OT to fit the PT, aka Hayden in ROTJ, tells me he **** up.

As for Hamills scars, and ObiWan looking older? Come on, will you defend Lucas on EVERYTHING? Lucas changed the Han shooting first scene in '97 and '04, so I don't think Lucas was worried that Alec Guiness was 3 years older. He didn't cause he didn't need to, plain & simple.

As for ANH standing out like a sore thumb, hasn't Lucas updated that movie twice for you guys and you still aren't happy? Geez, glad to see he is catering to your fanbase, when you guys don't even like the movie, but I love the movie like nothing else, and I get non-anamorphic. Now that is irony!

12. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    God lord dude, calm down. No wonder people say you people over-analyze.

13. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004

As for ANH standing out like a sore thumb, hasn't Lucas updated that movie twice for you guys and you still aren't happy?

I was happy with all three versions of ANH.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    What do you care if I do? What, will the world end if I agree with him and find nothing wrong with something that I don't see as problematic?

I know that, but I'm saying that for those who didn't like the idea of Luke being lied to as it stands now, that is one of the reasons he didn't change the scene in ANH. Han and Greedo is easy. The scene is same. Only difference was that he could tweak the movement and use a different angle. That said, they are two different beasts entirely. I'm talking about back in the early 80's, about refilming an entire scene or two. You're talking about one scene that only had to rely on bending years old footage of Harrison Ford.

No, that is not what I'm talking about. How about not twisting my statements around. I was talking about ANH sticking out, before he made the changes with the SE. I was talking about the Luke/Vader/Kenobi/Leia story plot before ROTJ, that you yourself was stating is a sore spot with some fans. And where some feel that the Saga went downhill. Your words, not mine.

15. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    What I don't understand is where he got the idea that you hate ANH.

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Read this fans POV at your own risk.

OT-fans will die laughing.

( Or copy/ paste: http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/review.php?id=160 )

Sinister edit: Beware of the language if you're easily offended.

17. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    I am glad but at the same time i think the films need major editing and directing help.

18. Froghurt

Froghurt Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2006
    Very glad that he made the PT.
    I think the movies as they are needed help in all the places people have mentioned.

My big wish is that they started Episode 1 where Episode 2 started and have Episode 3 as 2, leaving Episode 3 to show suited Vader on the war path. Afterall in the whole saga suited Vader makes one Jedi kill (a 70 year old who lets him win!)

19. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    I just can't figure out the desire to trade-in the prequels' story line for a Terminator Vader. There is no story there - no plot and murderous machines are a dime a dozen.

I much prefer the beginning of the story of Star Wars. I'm so glad Obi Wan was shown as a padawan and that we got to meet his master, Qui Gon. It makes Obi Wan's relationship with his own padawan that much richer plus gives us examples of the structure of the Jedi Order. and glad also to know the story of Luke and Leia's parents...from the beginning....and that Vader began as that innocent child who loved.

and perversely it's also interesting to see Palpatine as the supposed good guy senator from Naboo....and to think of that character's story arc.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Dooku didn't let Anakin win. He was legitimately beaten.

21. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    QFT. A villain that didn't start out that way is so much more interesting than a mindless killing machine. Ever since SW '77, we've been getting to know more about the apparently completely heartless villain Vader, confounding everyone's expectations as he seemed at first to be a one-dimensional villain. In ESB, we learn that Vader is Luke's father, and the once cunning warrior and good friend Obi-Wan described him as. In ROTJ, we learn more, and that he still has enough goodness in him to save Luke from dying at Palpatine's hands. By TPM, we are confounded again and see Anakin when he had incredible potential and little trace of the Dark Side. In fact, he's about the sweetest and most talented kid anyone could imagine. From there, we find in AOTC that he has psychological issues starting to bring him to the Dark Side, but a lot of those seem to stem from his very human weaknesses and not from overt malice. Finally, by the time ROTS roles around, we have the whole story: Anakin is strong, friendly, mostly seems to have grown out of teenager-hood into a supremely confident and proficient young man. He's respected, has a good relationship with Obi-Wan, and is put on the Jedi Council. But Palpatine, using the leverage he's been building since TPM, takes advantage of his persistent human emotional weaknesses, and seduces him to the Dark Side.

Who would ever have imagined it in 1977? It's a primary reason I like SW so much.

22. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Lucas has added much depth to the Saga and to the characters we grew up loving.

But then, that's the nature of backstory, isn't it?

You know, I don't get the people that can't stand the OT:SE versions. Yes, some stuff is ludicrous, like Greedo Shoots First, Han Meeting Jabba, and (worst of all) MTV Video in Jabba's Palace (Jedi Rocks?). But I like soooooooooooooooo much of the updated effects, plus the occasional CGI additions, like on Bespin.

I don't mind Lucas tinkering around with the effects, but I don't like him changing the story and adding scenes. Screwing around with the Emperor's dialogue in the remastered DVD ESB was interesting but cheating, I think.

Now I wonder if he'll do the same with the PT, particularly given the huge amount of negative press TPM and AOTC received. I hope not.

23. Sinnion

Sep 24, 2006

I actually hope he changes, edits, and adds stuff to the prequels simply because i felt they were rushed, now I think he has time to sit back and finish his masterpeice.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think the amount of edits due to time are far fewer than just because he wanted it to flow a certain way.

25. Sinnion

Sep 24, 2006
    Was it Gl that was in control of the flow because i thouhgt it was just bad editors :eek: .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.