main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are You Glad Lucas Made The Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by LordBlack, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    All directors are generally in charge of the editing process. They're the ones who determine what's in the film and what's not. Under certain circumstances do studios have a say. Lucas was in charge of all six films, while he had various people working on the editing. Lucas himself has experience editing, but he relied on editors to do the editing, since there was a lot to go through.

2. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm[face_thinking] O.K Here it comes. My cousin that is 12 years old saw all the PT movies in the cinema when she grew up. She loved them and asked me if there where more movies. I told her that there was the classic 3 eps 4-6 blah bla. She saw a old VHS of the original old version SW;) I asked: It was great right? Her answer was: It was BOORING. My reaction: Kind of sad. She is 13 or 14 now and she loves all the movies. She loved the OT (DVD versions) but she still likes the PT more. Lucas upgraded them for the new generation!! Thats the truth. Star wars is still on fire and for kids to buy into the OT after the PT the SFX needed upgrades. Why cant you folks understand that. SW is not yours and if you listen to Yoda in ROTS it's timeto get over it and pass the legacy on to the kids. SW is after all kid movies.

3. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    All directors are generally in charge of the editing process. They're the ones who determine what's in the film and what's not. Under certain circumstances do studios have a say. Lucas was in charge of all six films, while he had various people working on the editing. Lucas himself has experience editing, but he relied on editors to do the editing, since there was a lot to go through.

Well in ANH editing he fired a bad one and hired one that one an academy award for it. So who was in charge there. If lucas was why didn't he stick with the first one he had? I guess i just don't understand that proccess hehe [face_blush].

4. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    It was great right? Her answer was: It was BOORING. My reaction: Kind of sad. She is 13 or 14 now and she loves all the movies. She loved the OT (DVD versions) but she still likes the PT more. Lucas upgraded them for the new generation!!

I must've been 8-9 when i first saw them and i'm 17 now and i didn't think they were boring at all. I guess that's a diffence of a few years now-aday's. Im into the story of things now, but thinking back when I could've cared less then, but yet i still didn't think they were boring. As compared to the PT now they might seem boring by comparison. But i wonder why i didn't think they were boring? Huh just kind of interesting to hear that.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    After having watched the OT however many 100s of times and the PT dozens of times, I find the only parts that really drag are:

TPM - Tatooine takes too long I think.
    AOTC - bogs down on Naboo.
    ROTS - not really.
    ANH - from the time Luke gets the droids until Mos Eisley
    ESB - not really
    ROTJ - Luke on Dagobah for the last time.

6. Boba16

Boba16 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2006
    Hmmm, has anyone ever posted anything on this site of a family member who disagreed with their POV?

As for showing them the VHS and DVD versions, of course a fan is going to think the DVD versions are better, I mean who watches VHS anymore?

And to say the O-OT is boring, are you telling me that ESB, with the least amount of changes suddenly was awesome for this person when they saw ESB SE? Are you telling me a new Wampa shot, and the expansion of Cloud City all of the sudden made the movie great for the viewer? Same with ROTJ, only ANH is the only movie that has alot of new special effects, but ESB & ROTJ are not that different.

Come on man, I don't buy it one bit.

7. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    I enjoy the PT. It's Star Wars. It's a great universe to visit for a couple of hours. The PT did a great job of enriching the way that universe looks. But now that we have the whole Saga backstory, I feel like I didn't really need it in the first place. The OT told me everything I needed to know about Darth Vader: he's the Luke Skywalker who gets it wrong. So I wish we had gotten to see something altogether new and different storywise.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas had trouble communicating his vision to the original editor. That's why he brought in Richard Chew, Paul Hirsch and his then wife, Marcia. They were able to give the film an overhaul that worked and his wife helped out on the Yavin battle. Lucas himself did some editing, though without credit. He later brought in T.M. Christopher to do the SE.

Not that I know of. Well, there was a time my mom thought TESB was better, but that was because the film was mostly in outer space. But after awhile, even that seems to have gone by the wayside. She thought Jar Jar was a bit goofy at first, but he didn't bother her after a while. My sister liked Jar Jar right off. My mom laughed at the Threepio scenes in the droid factory, saying it was too funny. She cried when she saw ROTS, as did my sister. They also don't get people who I talk about from the boards, who dislike the PT or certain aspects of it. My sister says that many of them are nuts. Her own words, not mine. My brother enjoys watching them as well. Never talked about which are his favorites or not. My aunt saw the PT for the first time last Christmas as she had been unable to when they initially came out. She quite enjoyed them, despite my keeping mum on the plot points until after they were done.

I do. I still have a few films on VHS that I don't have on DVD yet. Plus I still record television shows on my VCR, from time to time. In fact, my VCR and DVD player are both silver and blend in nicely with each other.

*shrugs*. For me it isn't about making it better. But for others, it is a whole different matter. Just as there are those who do not appreciate the effects of Ray Harryhausen (sp) over the works of say Stan Winston or the stuff churned out on computers. Producer Jon Peters claimed that he didn't like the 1978 Superman film, because the effects sucked and thus when he was in charge, didn't want Superman to fly at all. Even though in the 90's flying effects had greatly improved. Granted, Peters is a bit off, but that is one example of someone disliking classic effects of the day.

9. DarthCarcinus

DarthCarcinus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2006
    I look at the whole series and despite either antique FX in the 1st 3, and bad acting in the last 3, I am really glad that made all 6, however, I think it would be wise to bring a talented young Director/ Producer, picked from a pool of fan sources to create further movies on the Star Wars series. Even if the movies go directly to DVD, I don't believe it would cheapen the Star Wars experience in any way, and Lucas could furthe his reach into mentor/teacher/ and possibly even financier since chances are strong he will never release his grasp on the marketing and other revenue's associated with the franchise.

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    My mom thinks that only ANH is good. She says the rest were not as good as the first one and she really saw no need for sequels. She feels it got too complicated and too many people, places and things to keep track of. She really only likes ANH.

11. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Only thing I have along those lines is that my mom fell asleep during A New Hope in the theaters.

12. StormTrooper1776

StormTrooper1776 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I love the prequels,but I would of liked to of seen episode 1 and episode 2 be combined as one movie,making ROTS episode 2,and then having episode 3 be where we see suited Vader hunting down the Jedi,seeing the rebels rise up to fight the clonetroopers.

Episode 1 could of showed Dooku and Dooku's apprentice in the Jedi temple,Anakin as a 15 year old padwan,where we could of seen Anakin and Obi fight Maul.Maul could of been the one to cut off Anakin's arm and force push him into the shaft where Anakin his holding on to something with his other hand as Obi fights Maul.

Then have Maul graze Obi's shoulder/leg,and is about to kill Obi as Anakin flips out of the shaft,over Maul,force grabs a lightsaber,and cuts Maul in half.

Then have the screen fade to black as the words 10 years later appear on the screen.And we see Anakin as a Jedi,and where he is on the council,as well as Dooku is on the council.And give Anakin an apprentice.

Then have Dooku's apprentice be the one who is creating the separtists to join together to create a huge droid army to overwhelm the Jedi.So the Jedi council is talking how Dooku's apprentice has joined the darkside.And they decide to go to Kamino to create a clone army.

And Dooku says he will go,and some other Jedi master says he will go with him.Then at Kamino the other Jedi master finds out about Dooku,and his plans,and he fights Dooku,and Jango Fett,and dies in the fight.

Then at the hangar duel,leave Yoda out of it,and make it where Mace and Anakin goes to fight Dooku's evil apprentice who uses two red lightsabers.And Anakin and Mace fight him,and in the duel Mace gets grazed on his back and falls to the ground.Then Mace tosses his lightsaber to Anakin where we see Anakin use two lightsabers as well against this Sith.

Then we see Anakin kill him.And at the end of the movie instead of Yoda,Mace,and Obi in the Jedi council talking about how they couldn't of done it without the clones,have it show Obi in a room while he watches Mace in a tank being healed,then Obi goes into the Jedi council where he talks with Yoda and Dooku talking about how they wouldn't of won without the clones.

And Dooku could act sad,saying he can't believe his apprentice turned to the darkside,and can't believe that he is dead.

Then episode 2 we see Obi and Anakin go save Palpatine as they face a new Sith apprentice that Sidious has gotten since the last movie.

When Mace goes to arrest Palpatine,have Dooku and two other Jedi go with him to do it.Then have Mace say to Palpatine that the Jedi know that he is the Sith master that they have been looking for.

Have Palpatine say to Mace,that the Jedi have killed all of his apprentices,and he hasn;t had time to find a new one,but you haven't killed my old one.And that's when Dooku kills a Jedi standing next to him.

And Palpatine flips over and kills the other Jedi,then Palpatine/Dooku fight Mace.Then we see Anakin coming into the room and sees the fight,and he joins in helping Mace.And we see Anakin kill Dooku.

And Anakin is on the other side of the room watching Mace saying he is gonna end this one and for all.And Anakin tells him that he can't,that it's not the Jedi way,trying to convince Mace not to.

But as Mace tries to kill Palpatine,Anakin throws his lightsaber at Mace and cuts off his head.

Then episode 3 we would have Anakin's apprentice,the rebels rising to fight the clones,and Vader hunting down the last of the Jedi.

13. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    My son say his least favourite is episode 4 because it's 'boring', too. His favourite is 'Attack of the Clones'.

(shrug)

My favourite as a tyke was ROTJ, now it's all a big lightsaber-twirling blur...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.