main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Are You More or Less Excited for the ST than the PT?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by UrbanJedi, Feb 6, 2015.

?

Are You More or Less Excited for the ST than the PT?

1. More Excited

112 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. Less Excited

59 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. Don't Care

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Pretty much this. I was too young to remember the hype surrounding the production of TPM. I remember watching the Darth Vader breathing teaser for AOTC and seeing it at the midnight showing. ROTS was the one where I actually can remember being hyped for well in advance, but not to the level I'm hyped for TFA.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Same.

3. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    Yeah, I was too young to be hyped for anything except ROTS, and I don't remember much about that hype, but I'll say I'm considerably worried about the Sequels ignoring the prequels and rehashing the originals, while also being incredibly hyped

4. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Probably a little more this time because we weren't expecting a ST.

5. Dark Debi

Dark Debi Jedi Padawan

Jun 14, 2015
    The prequels definitely came out at a time when the GFFA was growing and becoming more complex - it was going back deeper in time and further in the future in all the Extended Universe material. For example, there was post-OT Coruscant in the Thrawn Trilogy but in the PT, we would finally see it on screen during the height of the Old Republic! That held a lot of promise. The Phantom Menace was bigger for me initially because of new advances in filmmaking and the anticipation of seeing the pivotal story in the entire saga - the fall of Anakin Skywalker. There was something almost religiously appealing about seeing George Lucas create the universe of his saga exactly as he envisioned it. I guess from the time I saw the first pre-production sketch of a bus docked at a landing on Coruscant to the time I saw the movie and was disappointed by it, I was more looking-forward to The Phantom Menace. But I know I'll like The Force Awakens more, because it'll stay truer to what I think works in Star Wars more: a space opera that takes place in ragged Old West-like settings. Also, Lawrence Kasdan is writing, practical effects are being used again, and Kathleen Kennedy is already expanding women's roles.

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Personally I don't think the PT expanded much of anything depth or scope wise it simply shifted focus and style. These new ones I think are going to try and fuse old and new. I'm hoping it does it better than PT did because for me the flow between OT and PT simply does not mesh.

8. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    I can recall the exact time I saw a brief preview of the Phantom Menace on FOX 10, I was 12 years old and of course I owned tons of merch from the film in the year leading up to the film. With the PT unfortunately existing and its corrupting influence extending into Rebels, I'm incredibly hyped to see a new era of films that continue the saga. The PT was mediocre and a tremendous waste of resources looking back, and JJ really wont screw up as badly as Lucas did with Christensen and the laughable love plots, massive CGI abuse, lack of utilization of characters that Lucas botched the PT with.

9. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Less. Once burnt, twice a bit more cautious.

I imagine that whatever they end up with, there will always be criticism.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Still way less excited for me. At this point my geek hype is pretty much solely reserved for the new X-Files.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    Hmm, gonna have to say less, just because of ROTS. That wait DID THINGS to me. However, I did get childhood joy from TPM (being 10) and blossoming geek joy from AOTC that's going to be difficult to top. I'm actually taking some advice from PT haters and buffering my enthusiasm so I won't become the thing I'm fighting against. I don't want to become embittered.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The lack of any new footage and additional characterization is pushing my purposely low enthusiasm into the corner. I hope this will be stoked with some new footage and the chance to start to know the new characters (good and evil.)

I do not want to know everything, but the levels of secrecy are starting to wear thin for me. I hope something new is revealed at D23...

13. Wamp ratz

Wamp ratz Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2015
    I'm more excited for the ST as opposed to the PT because I'm pretty sure the ST won't have Jar Jar.

14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh I'm excited for the new movies, but the Original Star Wars and Empire came out when I was so young and so excitable. When I was obsessively reading Isaac Asimov, and OMG! these pictures are what I have been imagining in my brain.

But I am definitely enjoying this. It has rekindled my excitement for those old movies and I am anticipating where they are going to take the story. And spaceships. New spaceships.

OT = 9.5 / 10 in wide eyes wonder.
    ST = 8.5 / 10.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If the ST immerses me in the SW galaxy again, it is a win.
    I don't know if it will be as memorable an experience as watching the OT or ROTS or reading the Thrawn trilogy, NJO series, X-Wing series, Han Solo trilogy, ROTS novelization etc for the first time but we will find out in a couple months. Heck the rewatches/rereads of those stories bring back so many memories.
    If the ST takes me back to the fond memories of when I experienced past stories that is icing on the cake.

16. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Well, I was born in 1981 so didn't get to experience the OT when it was released. Was quite hyped for the PT but was disappointed with it. So in a way I am cautiously more excited for the ST and am liking what I've seen so far.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You knew what JarJar would turn out to be... before the films came out? I'll trust your precognition skills that The Force Awakes is as great as you say!

18. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Well, if A Chorus of Disapproval, trusts you that is good enough for me.

What are the numbers for the mid-week Lotto?

Although, I suppose I didn't actually need to ask ... I could have just waited for you to send them to me!!! [face_thinking]

Wamp ratz likes this.
  19. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I was very hyped for TPM but not to the extent I am for TFA simply because there seems to be more of a glut of information and access now than there was in 98/99 due to the advances of the internet since then. I don't remember online streaming of comicon or Star Wars celebration. Maybe they did happen but I don't remember. I remember visiting this site and lurking, reading and seeing the trailers obviously. A lot of my info came from entertainment shows on tv. Now I don't even own a tv service such as cable, I stream EVERYTHING now and in this current age, so much info is available, even compared to 16 years ago. I anticipate comicons and D23 where I didn't even think of such things in the prequel days. I think there's much more hype available to us which certainly helps (or hurts depending on your point of view)

As for AOTC, no I wasn't hyped for it. I was severely down from the disappointment of TPM that I didn't pay attention much. The nail in the coffin, for me, was hearing Ewan McGregor laughing at the name "Attack of the Clones" when he heard it for the first time.

I was slightly more enthused for ROTS simply because we were finally getting to the climax, getting closer to the OT and it's look and feel.

The big difference - nothing in the PT hype machine got me in the "feels" like watching Han and Chewie in the latest teaser. This was the first time I felt something that made me feel like the OT did when I was growing up. And it's that feeling that makes my anticipation so much stronger this time around.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I was a little concerned when I first saw the trailer and that shot of Jar Jar getting his face caught in the energy of the pod racer. I remember saying to my wife when we first watched it together that this character seemed a little goofy for my taste, but I thought he was just a minor, background character. Boy was I wrong.

Wamp ratz likes this.
  21. Wamp ratz

Wamp ratz Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2015
    I can see what you mean. When I first saw clips of that character, I was worried the movie was going to be a cutesy(Is that really a word ?)-PG film. I mean I don't expect Star Wars films to be a rated-R gore-fest but I think we all enjoy good storytelling and action sequences.

I'm pretty excited about the upcoming film and am hopeful for the rest of the ST because the ball droid, BB-8, is the closest thing I've seen to a cutesy character in the teasers. I'll keep my finger crossed, hoping that it won't have or get a Jamaican voice module.

22. Darth Sequel Trilogy

Darth Sequel Trilogy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 13, 2015
    More excited. I have always said that they can take the Sequel Trilogy story wherever they want to, where you are locked into the Prequel Trilogy story in many ways. There is just more mystery with this trilogy because you don't know who dies, who lives, or who becomes the hero. Exciting times.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

Nothing new here or anything to worry about, back in the 40s we had a bunch of superhero serials in cinemas, 70 odd years later and Superman isn't going anywhere. They may take short breaks from time to time but they're always back and made for whoever the current audience is.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was more excited for the PT because we had not had Star Wars in so long, and because we were getting a back story on a character I had been curious about since 1983.

This is a great time to be a Star Wars fan and I'm happy about all the new content coming out, but due to a general lack of curiosity about the era, I'm not as excited about the ST.

25. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    More excited for the ST.

Han, Luke, Leia.

'Nuff said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.