main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Are You More or Less Excited for the ST than the PT?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by UrbanJedi, Feb 6, 2015.

?

Are You More or Less Excited for the ST than the PT?

1. More Excited

112 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. Less Excited

59 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. Don't Care

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I was more excited for the PT. I was young and naive. Now I know better.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  2. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    I agree with your response 100%. There was a point I was going to make that I left out because it didn't fit the direction I was going. It was going to be part of my response to the person who said he wasn't overly excited because he was 30. My point was going to be that most of the people who went to go see the PT were those who were kids when the OT came out. They considered the OT perfect because of the nostalgia factor of seeing the movies either in the theater or on home video like me.
    Then they went into the PT with the eyes of an adult and looked at the movies with a more critical eye. I went into the movies expecting a Star Wars movie and I wasn't disappointed. I never went into it thinking they were anything more than that and I'm sure that's why the PT doesn't bother me at all.

I remember being on these boards back in 2004/5 when ROTS was coming out and people theorizing that midway through their battle Anakin would lose his blue saber and whip out a red one and someone saying "If that doesn't happen it will ruin the entire movie for me!!!!" So it never was about the story for these people but it was about fulfilling their own theories and if Lucas somehow didn't read their minds then the entire movie was crap.

As for CGI, I don't think that you could portray the scale of the battles in the PT without it. I don't think you could portray Coruscant without it or some of the other locations. I think that with the OT the stories seemed more personal. Yes there was the battle against the Empire but that was secondary to the journey of Luke. Not only did the PT have to show Anakin's fall to the dark side but also had to display the crumbling of the Republic into the Empire. In that sense I think the stories were slightly more complex. In the OT all the political stuff went on in the background.

my kind of scum likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It's SW. Good enough for me to be excited. 7 when TPM came out, 13 when ROTS and will be 24 when TFA comes out. I did hit a phase after ROTS where I didn't like kid stuff but I try not to let that bother me now. Never really had a working idea for the PT as a whole and liked a good lot of it when watching it the first time. Looking at it as a whole after the fact, it just doesn't work as well as the OT did imo.

Looking forward to seeing Han, Luke, Leia and company again. So many fond memories of watching the OT when I was younger.

fishtailsam likes this.
  4. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I was 14 in May of '99 and 20 in May of '05. The only thing I ever expected was for honest storytelling. I expected Yoda to have been the teacher of Obi-wan. I expected to see Obi-wan and Anakin's "Good friendship". I expected Obi-wan to be ignorant of Liea.
    I expected that the facts presented to us in the previous movies would hold up at that Lucas wouldn't have to cheat to get the pieces to fit together.

The expectation of an honest story teller was wrong of me from the get go considering this was the same storyteller that made Anakin = Vader in ESB and made Liea = Sister in RotJ.

And it was nostolgia that made me blind to those points.

The reason I'm less excited is because I'm 30, therefore I have a job, and a wife, and a kid, and a house, and go to school... I have less energy to be excited about any movie.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Less excited. The teaser left me empty...the lack of info, hype and the reasons why Michael Arndt left don't help matters.

Andy Wylde and appleseed like this.
  6. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I voted less excited, but I'm still excited! I was 20 when Phantom Menace came out and I think its easy to forget what a drought that period was for Star Wars fans leading up to that movie. I think LucasArts singlehandedly kept my interest going in Star Wars until the Special Editions came out. A year or so before the release I remember going to sites like Aint It Cool and looking at spy photos and just pouring over EVERYTHING I could get my hands on. I remember downloading the first trailer over the course of an hour and watching it all day. Hunting down the toys was a blast, the first one I bought was Obi-Wan as he was always my favorite and I was lucky enough to snag a Darth Maul when they were still rare. I remember buying my ticket and the nervous anticipation I had before the movie started, and of course I remember the feeling that washed over me when John Williams score blared over those big yellow letters.

I never hated the Phantom Menace, I just remember being in a daze. I didn't care for some things but it was always like that with the originals for me as well. Episodes II and III were more of the same for me. I loved the experience and the movies and meeting people in line. The rumors, the toys, the hype - it was a magical time for me.

I'm 36 now as the Force Awakens approaches and I'm just happy to have another chance to visit that galaxy. The big difference now is that my son will be with me and he is the perfect age for this experience. His favorite moves are Jedi and Attack of the Clones and I have a feeling that this new series will be "his". I am a little wary of some of the rumors of this movie sounding too much like an OT Greatest Hits and that has tempered my expectations, but I am excited.

7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Isn't it weird that as much time as passed since the release of TPM as the time between ROTJ and TPM?

BTW Hi everyone, new guy here

FRAGWAGON and Wildcatbarry like this.
  8. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Same here. Based on the spoilers - not liking everything I've heard for the direction they are taking. So my expectations are low. I'll be there opening night, but not really hyped like I was for TPM.

9. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    We all may walk in the theaters less hyped, but hopefully we walk out pumped to the gills after watching the best SW ever.

That's my hope anyway.

Come on JJ.

10. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Hopefully yeah. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it. At least I know John WIlliams will deliver the goods!

11. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    More excited, a new timeline brings a lot of fresh ground to explore.

I think I'm the only one who doesn't care to see the big three at all.

12. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I was more excited about TPM, but I'm more confident about having a good time with TFA. The Special Editions made me nervous.

13. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I was very very excited for the PT because I wanted to know more about Anakin and how he became Vader. I'm excited for the PT, but I'm kinda worried I won't feel anything for all of these brand new characters, that I won't become attached to any of them. So my excitement is at a slow simmer right now.

14. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Ironically, once I saw TPM, I was surprised how little I cared about the characters, even though I still cared about their OT versions. Took a while to warm up to them. I think because Lucas had lost touch the aspect of dramaturgy that makes us care. I'm confident Abrams has not lost touch with that yet.

15. powerpackers90

powerpackers90 Jedi Padawan

Apr 5, 2015
    I'm more excited here, cause well this is my "Prequel Trilogy". in that after a Decade of no new Star Wars Movies (minus clone wars) here it's big return.

Howard Hand likes this.
  16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I was not disappointed with TPM because really, I wasn't expecting much. A nine year old Anakin on a lightweight adventure was the vibe I was getting in the lead-up, and so the movie actually exceeded my expectations.

But I was never excited for the PT. The best part of getting the PT was having SW be a real thing again. But it was really a prelude to the ST, which was, for me, the main event.

Then, "Oh yeah, that sequel thing was really a joke, sorry." So I let go of it.

But the potential of the ST excites me in a way the PT never did. And everything I see and hear gives me hope, unlike with the PT, where I had to talk myself into.

Seriously, I've waited 30 years for these films. The whole thing is a dream come true.

I wouldn't mind seeing the age breakdown for this poll.

17. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    The potential of the PT to tell a powerful, tragic and iconic story to compliment and lead into the story of the OT, with the same essential creators as the OT, generated more excitement than I'm ever likely to experience again. The ST is of course exciting, but the sense of closure at the end of VI eliminates much of the anticipation which the PT had going for it. In other words, there is nothing in the currently existing saga that makes me want to find out anything more. This fact takes away some of the excitement.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  18. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm equally excited for both, but I'm assuming we're talking pre-TPM release.

Having seen the PT, from that context, I'm more excited for the ST simply because I think the people in charge are focusing more on story and character this time around, instead of technical innovation.

I disagree with people who think technical innovation is the best thing about SW. Sure, it's one of the great things, but to me the best part has always been story and character.

19. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I would say story, characters and iconic visual storytelling are what make Star Wars stand out. How that is all achieved technologically is simply a tool, and not central to the saga's success. IMO.

20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah, the tech definitely is important in making the world, but it's the world that's the point.

21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm paraphrasing, but George Lucas once said, "A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."

22. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I was more excited about the PT because Lucas was doing it. Even before all the spoilers revealing Luke's lack of a major role in TFA came out, I was dubious about a version of Star Wars without Lucas' guidance. And as more and more spoilers have been revealed, the more dubious I am. I know hating and bashing the PT is popular, but I loved them even with their flaws. I can't give a bunch of pretenders the same benefit of the doubt that I gave GL.

If Luke wasn't getting cast aside in TFA, I would be more hyped for it than I am.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    That's actually the quote, not a paraphrase:

Immortiss, Dra--- and PymParticles like this.
  24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Holy crap, I was not expecting that, I thought it was going to be horribly off. Unexpected surprise accuracy.

Immortiss and Darth_Articulate like this.
  25. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    More excited because even though I saw all three PT, I could have care less about PT. Didn't care about Anakin when I was a kid, still didn't care when I was older ... still don't care today. ST is a new generation, going forward, with no idea where it is going. PT you knew it had to end with Darth Vader :rolleyes: ST, on the other hand, who knows and that is worth getting excited about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.