main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are you picky about the condition of the figure/card when you buy them?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by JEDI-MASTER28, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-MASTER28

JEDI-MASTER28 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    When I look to buy my ROTS figures, or my football cards, I try to get them in the best possible condition I can. If that means not buying a hard to find character because the card or bubble is in bad shape, then so be it. I've managed to put together all 40 of the ROTS figures with NO creases or anything on the card itself. Any other picky "bastuds" out there when it comes to collecting?

2. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I'm not too picky. I like the cards to be in good condition,but it doesn't bother me really if they're not,since I open almost all of my figs. The only thing I don't really like is if the card is just totally trashed. (which I've only seen once or twice.) :)

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Not really. Then again its never seemed to be a problem for me. I've heard others complain about damaged cards or smashed bubbles but most everything around here is in good enough shape that I wouldn't complain.

4. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I'm VERY picky about the condition of the figure - I'll often spend extended periods of time scrutinizing every figure before I buy one. Like, I sorted through every deluxe General Grievous figure and found one that met my rigorous standards.
    As for the packaging... I don't really care, since I open all my toys anyway.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It depends on if I am going to open the figure right away. If not, then I am picky. If so, then the condition of the figure is more important than the condition of the packaging.

6. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    What Laj said :)

7. Yo-da_Man

Yo-da_Man Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2005
    Absolutely!!! I am very picky and critical of the figues I buy, especially with the cards they come on. For me, the cards can not have any bent tabs (dog ears), creases, or dents on them. Also, I look at the back and examine the "tape job" the company did on the card. Alot of the figures I have seen look like 1/4 of a roll of tape was used to seal the plastic case to the card. I don't plan on opening my figures, not because I plan on reselling them, I just think the MOMC packaging adds something extra to the figure when it is displayed.

8. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I'm with LAJ and Mike. The things that I know I'm going to open don't bother me if the package is screwed up. It just has to be sealed.

9. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    i pay more attention to paint application and the actual appearance of the figure. of course, if one is smashed and the other is perfectly flat and clean, human nature pushes me towards the perfect one.

10. Iceman_X

Iceman_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2005
    I pay attention to figures that I know im not going to open .... When I got the Blue and Red Gaurds I did was very picky ... But of course all the dumb a$$es were in the isle and the girl who was working told me that there is a whole pallet over there and she opened them for me

11. skywalker_ranch

skywalker_ranch Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2005
    I dig and dig and dig for the best paint. I look at the paint on the uniforms and especially the face and eyes. They got to look real.

12. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    If there is more than one of the figure I'm buying, I'll look at the paint jobs, and details to see which is better, but unless I plan on keeping it in-package, I don't really care about the card...unless it's somehow hurt the figure. :p

~Vassago

13. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    In both cases, yes, I am.

I'm about a 98% opener, so I check each and every copy of the figure they have, to get the best paint job. I hate poor paint jobs on the figures. I want no blotches on the face, paint splashes on the outfit, etc. I'll usually have my wife help me, she has an even keener eye than I do! :)

If it's a Palpatine, and I'm getting a 2nd one to leave sealed for the "Great Wall", then (And only then) do I care about the packaging. I try to get the one with no creases, crushed bubble, etc, so it is pristine for the wall.

14. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    If I'm going to keep the figure carded, I try to get the best packaging possible... but at the same time, I do try and get a good paint job.

If I'm going to open the figure, I could care less about the packaging. The figure and it's paint work are what's important.

15. Addiction

Addiction Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    Yes, since i keep 80% of my figs carded.

16. JediMasterKobe

JediMasterKobe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Yeah, I'd have to say I am picky. Even though I open all of my purchases, I still like to hang on to the card. Eventually, I want to make a wallpaper-type thing with all the cards.

As for the figure, I'm very picky, what with scrutinizing the paint jobs and all that.

17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'm more picky about card condition than the women I
    date.

18. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Yes, I'm an absolute nut when it comes to the condition of the figures am buying !!!

I'll stand there for fifteen minutes with six figures in my hands as I compare the facial features, pose & card condition as I get very weird looks from staff & other customers [face_laugh]

19. Yo-da_Man

Yo-da_Man Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2005
    Finally! Someone who is as obsesive as I am.

[face_dancing]

20. icy

icy Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    I've never checked the paint job before...i kinda assumed they all look the same...now the next time i buy i have to remember to look at all the details.What i check though is that the cards or packaging is near perfect...no creases...since i don't open any of the figures...

21. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    I'm picky when it comes to the condition of the figure. If it has a bad paint job, a bent accesory or anything else unusual, I'm not buying it.

I'm less picky about the packaging, because I open almost all my figures. Still, I like to avoid pierced bubbles, torn cards and the like.

22. ThePostman

ThePostman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I'm not so picky about the card condition...sure if its all beat up I wont take it unless its the last one, But facial features I care alot about. I dont want a cross-eyed Bail Organa!

23. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Very picky about both, but even more so about the condition of the figure. I'm exactly like the person above who mentioned they will examine multiple versions of the same figure. I'll be there for 15 minutes staring at them if I have to, just to get the best possible paint job. Luckily my fiancee understands and doesn't give me a hard time about it. :D

24. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I'm another one who's obsessive about the paint job. Holding three up together and comparing every tiny detail against each other isn't a rare event. The worst part tends to be the eyes - flesh colored eyes or white-rimmed eyes just bug me. Hair is second. Stray dots of paint can be irritating, too.

Cards I care about less, since I open them. Given a choice, I naturally go for the less banged up card (since I do save them), but it's not a dealbreaker. I've never seen a figure that I wanted with a completely mangled card where it was the only one on the shelf, so I haven't had to decide between bad card or no figure, but I expect I'd just get the figure anyway.

Like, I sorted through every deluxe General Grievous figure and found one that met my rigorous standards.

Yeah, I did the same thing, mostly because I didn't care for the general (hoho, a pun! :p) look of the paint job when I saw it in previews (seriously, he looks like he's decaying in the Rebelscum pictures). So I had to pore through them to find the best looking one. The overall quality was surprisingly better than I expected, though, so I didn't have to look too hard.

25. BobaFletch

BobaFletch Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2001
    I'm with the picky paint job people - cards and packaging don't concern me if the figure is the best of the bunch. And yes, like all of you, I will stand there and compare for as long as it takes to find the best one. That's why I'm reluctant to order figures over the web.

I agree about Deluxe Grievous looking a little worse for wear in the Rebel Scum pics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.