main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Are You Ready For Some Paintball????

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JodoKast74, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Overheard on a police scanner...
    "Attention troopers. It's October. Be alert for known offender driving a silver Liberty dressed in fatigues. Subject is known to be armed with paintballs that taste disgusting."

2. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    ...in your mouth.

3. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    I am ready, but can not go:-(

4. EliteMacFreak

EliteMacFreak Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2006
    Edit: The marker is now in Haz's capable hands. Beware! ;) (I'd toss this post if I could, but there's no option to!)

5. Brickout

Brickout Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    Wow, that's a REALLY good deal.

6. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Your offer intrigues me, though your picture disappeared on me for some reason. Lemme go over the bills tonight and see.

7. EliteMacFreak

Sep 26, 2006
  8. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Bumping this to the top as we are only a few days away.

9. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    Damn me buying a house and moving!! I wanna play!!!! Why does life have to be cruel and abusive!?

OK...me being a 2 yr old is over....for now...I hope you all have fun on Saturday! Since Penguin and Haz are playing...someone shoot them in the twig and berries for me. Thnx, buh bye.

10. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    We'll miss ya man!

Gratz again on the new pad! I can't wait to see it.

11. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Congratulations Fett! You'll definitely be missed on Sat. though!

Okay I'm looking to buy a mask this week to break in on Sat. but was wondering is there anything that I should stay away from such as a yellow tinted lens or a particular brand? I'm looking to keep this relatively inexpensive as I really only play twice a year with you guys. My main problem with the rental masks is they fog up with sweat really quickly for me effectively making me blind.

12. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Yellow-tinted lenses can be good, they really highlight the green colors. My mask has inserts that are tinted yellow that help. I don't know about a permanantly tinted one, though, that might get annoying.

I mainly buy masks from JT USA, but Scott is another good brand.

To help with fogging, get a "thermal lens". Basically this works like insulated windows, where there are two panes with an air space between them. This minimizes the temperature difference between the two sides of the mask and reduces fogging.

Some even have a fan that circulates air inside the mask to help with fogging, and it does exactly squat. Moving the air around does not help remove fog, it just blows in your eyes and dries them out.

13. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    I like the "thermal lens" idea.

where can I look to learn more. Seems like it might have
    some interesting costuming applicatons.

14. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    JT
    Proto
    V-Force

Any are good brands.

I roll a JT-Flex 8 full cover cause gettin shot in the top of the head sucks.

Edit:
    BTW-they have a thermal lense and still fog up periodically. If it is really muggy out this is a big problem.

15. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Jt Flex 8 is good or you can just get the older flex or Flex 7. Also the V Force Profiler is a great mask with great view. STAY AWAY from the JT AX-10 stay away someone asked me about it. It is hard plastic that isn't comfortable at all. Proto's are good too.

16. EliteMacFreak

Sep 26, 2006
    I'd just like to note that the full JT Spectra Flex 8 is pretty expensive (although it's very nice). If you want a good, cheaper full-coverage helmet, try the ~$30 JT Elite Headshield. I like mine, although I could use a hair more side-to-side visibility.

17. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    True statement.

Nothing will ever completely prevent lens fogging. Well, nothing you are going to be able to afford and/or use for paintball. I don't think that the sprays really work, and a thermal lens is still your best bet to reduce it. Just don't expect it to be perfect.

18. EliteMacFreak

Sep 26, 2006
    The sprays do work, but they all break down at varying speeds in response to heat and moisture. I use a spray made by Speedo (for those of you who don't know, I'm a national-level swimmer) that generally lasts about 30 minutes in swimming goggles and three hours in paintball goggles. The main problem is that you can kill the film-like coating's effectiveness by touching the inner lens, which means you have to start all over again.

The weather report says it's going to be 59 degrees out on Saturday, so I doubt we'll have to worry about fogging.

19. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Some goggle lenses will detiorate if you use a no fog spray. Be sure to read your manual!

20. Brickout

Brickout Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    I have two V-Force goggles and neither one has EVER fogged up on me. I wear a profiler, which is more on the expensive side. My backup / loaner is a pro-vantage, it's a really good mask for $24.00. It has a great field of view, soft plastic and a thermal lens. Another good mask by V-force is the Shield thrmal, it has the same lens as the profiler.

Tkae a look at www.actionvillage.com

21. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Well, I didn't know that [runs to get journal]. If you were a sub-national-level swimmer I would think your anti-fog spray advice was crap as I rarely take anti-fog spray advice from anyone who doesn't compete in the nationals.

Bosh
    "Hello, welcome to the Pat Stevens show. My name is Pat Stevens and yes, I'm a former model....thank you."

22. EliteMacFreak

Sep 26, 2006
    I know when I'm being mocked. ;) My intention by mentioning my swimming was to infer that I've used a huge quantity of the stuff. The side effects are usually pretty mild--true, the extra arm sticking out of my back looks a bit weird, but it's really very functional (especially when you have an itch).

23. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    It was mentioned--and it is an EXCELLENT suggestion--that you come to paintball with exact change for your field fees. You will be paying either myself or Carrie and it is highly unlikely that if you show up with $40 that we will have correct change for you. Make all of our lives easier by picking up some $5 bills before then.

Thank you. That is all.

24. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I never formally stated this, so here it is:

My brother, my friend Bryan, and myself will be attending paintball. That's five more people! Three, sir. Er, Three! We'll be carpooling on our own.

My brother and I will be paying $25 cash on-site (we will both be using their rental equipment). Yes, we'll have exact change.

Bryan, I'm not sure if you're paying cash on site or via PayPal, but I'm sure you've got it all figured out anyways. :p

As always, I'm looking forward to seeing you all again and playin' some awesome games of paintball! See you all on Saturday! :D

P.S. One question: I saw that time listed that you guys are leaving for Blastcamp (7:30am), but I didn't see when you're all planning on actually arriving. What time is everyone getting there? (This is so we can plan when we leave!) Thanks!

25. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    The arrival is generally about 8:30-9:00am depending on whether or not we get tickets from the IL State Popo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.