main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Are You Still Planning on Not Watching The Strain This Year?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, May 21, 2015.

?

Well?

1. Yes, because it's like Lifeforce risen from the grave

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, because it's like Lifeforce, risen from the grave

25.0%
  3. Yes, because my heart belongs to season 2 of The Last Ship

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, because I already didn't watch Season 1 and I want to do more of that

62.5%
  5. Yes because only James Mason can make me face the Master

12.5%
  1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Or aren't you a bunch of Guillermo del Toro-hating genre traitors?

2. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I plan on watching it, even though I thought books 2 and 3 dipped significantly in quality from the first. They deviated a bit from the first book in the first season, so I'm hopeful they can make season 2 just as entertaining.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I was just reading an article about the giant liver fluke, fascioloides magna, and it reminded me that season 2 of The Strain should be coming out soon.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Where's the "The what now?" poll option?

5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    you know I'm not a fan of absurdist humor

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I watched the pilot episode last year and thought it was interesting. Later on, I caught snippets of an episode where it just looked like another vampire type of show. That's when I said I'm done. However, my wife loves the vampire genre and she's hooked on this show, and so I'll probably will be seeing snippets of season two.

7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Why no capitalisation of 'on'?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999

I've vowed to watch bad vampire entertainment until the day I die. If today is that day, so be it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I watched the first episode last year and laughed and laughed when a medical professional got some of those creepy vampire maggots on his gloved hand, and responded to the situation by touching his gloved hand with his ungloved hand and becoming infected. Then I happened to catch some of like the sixth or seventh episode and saw some Buffy-esque late 90's WB quality vampires prowling around the screen and deleted it and all of the intervening episodes off my DVR. Forever.

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Did not like the books so I'll pass. I'm over the vampire as plague thing too.

Like most other fannish things, I'm old school, so I'll stick with Martin, the Blind Dead* and Nosferatu for my vamps.

GDT is hit or miss for me anyway, so call me a traitor... I can take it. :p

*I see them as mummified Templar vampires since they drink blood.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm with you. Pacific Rim is the worst giant monster movie I've ever seen.

JoshieHewls likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I enjoy this show way too damn much to stop watching. In the first episode the giant monster smashes a guy's head into paste because that's what giant monsters do! It's a freakin horde of zombie vampire whatevers! Also Nazis made Our Hero built a casket for the master because they're freakin Nazi vampires!

Also I'm waiting for Corey Stoll's wig to be revealed to be The Master in disguise.

Oh, yeah, and there were the vampire killing vampires! What the H?!

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i tried reading the comic adaptation fo the books and it was pretty shockingly boring for a vampire story so i gave up and decided to avoid the novels and show

14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Wasn't this whole thing kind of circular to begin with? The novelization of an aborted tv pilot gets adapted for television.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Oh Pacific Rim - do not get me started on how the two most interesting Jeagers and their pilots wound up being Kaiju fodder. I was so wanting to see Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha be the leaders...but no, go with the safe / boring choices. At least Ron Perlman had a goofy fun cameo.

Anyway, the Strain and vampires...

I forgot 'Salem's Lot in my list. Hooper's mini series was a lot scarier than the novel and that mini series still is big time creepy.

I find the Strain a bit unusual for Guillermo (in his using science / plague as as basis for the spread here.) I'd expect something a lot more old school from him. Cronos was more my speed, an interesting, very human tweak.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Strain has a science-y / plague window dressing but when you strip that away to what the show actually is, it's very much old school munch munch, comp comp, hell there's an elderly vampire slayer in it who repeatedly says how his non-science-y ways are the best.

Another thing I dig about the Strain? Kevin Durand is in it and Kevin Durand needs to be in more everything.