main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are you upset that Anakin didn't fall in lava?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by brook_33, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Until the final months before ROTS was released in theaters the rumor was that Anakin fell into lava, thus suffering the grievous injuries led him to donning the Darth Vader suit. While many Star Wars fans, including myself, liked this idea, having known it for some time, many fans did not like the idea. They claimed it wasn't realistic, to which I'd point out how realistic is Star Wars anyway?

But I digress, the question that stands is whether or not you were satisfied with Lucas' decision. Did you like seeing Anakin's stub of a leg catch flame and ignite his entire body? Would you have rather seen his fall into a melting pit within the factory, and some fans speculated? Or were you disappointed that Anakin did not simply fall in lava like we'd been led to believe for years?

2. Darth_Infernous

Darth_Infernous Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2005
    I preferred in the movie when Anakin's leg caught fire rather to have seen him actually fall in lava, after all who falls in lava and survives?
    It would have really hard to justify and anyway the scene where you see Anakin burning was so heartbreaking especially the fact Obi-Wan stood and watched.

3. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    Nope, I think they did it perfectly. Falling into the lava does not work, just ask Gollum...

4. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    No, Anakin falling in the lava would have been too much like T2. Plus, as much as I can suspend disbelief in SW, the way it was done makes it seem slighly more plausible than seeing Anakin submerged in lava.

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    No one ever said he fell into lava, not ever. Had he done so he would have burned up instantly, unlike the cartoony end to Gollum. The comments were always that he fell into a volcano or a molten pit. In truth, he fell beside a lake of fire and was consumed. It was a shock that Lucas showed as much as he did and it's gutwrenching even now to think of it. Anything more would have pushed RotS too far into unreality.

6. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    I was actually thinking of Gollum in my last post. I didn't say anything, but I think that even a die-hard LOTR fan would admit that it's much more difficult to watch Anakin burning alive than it is to watch Gollum gobbled up in glop. That scene is painful to watch, especially because of Obi-Wan reaction. Ewan shines in that scene.

7. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    When I first saw those old burned Anakin burned pictures People always said that he fell in the lava so I always thought he fell in the lava but when
    I saw the movie I was suprised that he got burned by just cathing on fire from his leg.

8. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I'm not trying to bash RotK at all, but Gollum dribbled slowly down into the Lava (presumably his entire body burning to cinders) with no reaction and no evidence of trauma whatsoever. It was like watching Daffy Duck get blasted by Elmer Fudd. No pain, no reaction, no impact.

Anakin burned alive and we watched his skin blacken and crack. After seeing that for the first time, and then a week later seeing a single shot of innocent Jake Lloyd from PM, it broke my heart. It had an effect. We felt for the character even after everything he had done.

9. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    If Anakin had gone out like Gollum, who's to say that whatever part of him wasn't under the lava couldn't catch flame?

10. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Absolutely. It really couldn't have been done any better. I remember hearing the rumors about him falling into the lava, and I didn't like that because it really didn't make logical sense. So I was surprised when I first saw the film. But it was brilliant, I'm glad George has the guts to do it.... both showing that level of injury, and also making us feel pity for Anakin despite his actions. Hayden and Ewan were amazing, it turned out to be one of the best scenes in the movie, which is exactly what it should have been.

11. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    I don't care how much hate you have, you're not going to survive dropping into lava. I can believe it since it's SW as is, but complete consumption by the fire would have been a bit much.

12. Ani_Lover

Ani_Lover Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2005
    I think the scene was done perfectly. It was absolutely heart breaking to see Obi-wan standing there having to watch Anakin burn. Plus the dialogue between the two was so sad. To me it is one of the very best scenes out of any Star Wars movie.

13. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    "When I saw what became of him, I tried to dissuade him, to draw him
    back from the dark side. We fought... your father fell into a molten pit.
    When your father clawed his way out of that fiery pool, the change had been
    burned into him forever...."
    - Ben Kenobi to Luke Skywalker, ROTJ novel. 1983.

Close enough.

Oh, and I like the film version just as it is.

14. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    I always pictured Obi-wan and Anakin, fighting on a thin bridge. They fought with great might, red blade on blue, back and forth across the bridge. This bridge went across a pit of molten lava, the pit much like that in TPM or ROTJ. Then, despite Anakin's stronger, upper-hand, Obi-wan manages to chop off Darth Vader's leg and so he fell into the pit, to his "doom".

I guess i was wrong.

15. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    i never imagined him actually swimming around in lava. I just don't see how that would have worked.

16. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I was worried about how it would be, with the rumors of Anakin falling into Lava and surviving. I thought it would be a shot of him falling into Lava with the next shot of him in the Vader suit already. Sort of a "Uhhhhh, how do we explain this.....let's just not." Sometime last March or something someone suggested he was hanging ABOVE a pit with the steam being scalding hot.....his flesh melting away but able to hang on with his metal hand. That gave me some hope that a reasonable idea could be portrayed on screen. The scene that ended up in the film was great. It allowed for a dramatic scene AND Vader to oh, I don't know....have ANY kind of body. Very well done and very happy that Anakin did NOT fall in lava.

Carnage

17. uwishuwereme

uwishuwereme Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 2005
    If he would have fallen in the lava that would have been weird and unrealistic,he would have to swim out of the lava, or wait and just boil till Palps arrived it wold be hard to believe he fell in lava for a couple of minutes and lived.

18. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Nah... too Lord of the Ringy.
    Gollum already did it.
    And I don't think he'd survive that.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    And that's why Lucas changed it from his original writing. He came to the conclusion that it wouldn't work falling in. It had to be done a different way. This way, it's much more dramatic and gets the point across.

20. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I dunno, I don't see ROTS movie as such a change from
    the novelisations of the OT when it says Vader
    burned in lava.
    I mean,
    the lava is what burned him.
    Just because he wasn't doing swan lake
    in molten lava, doesn't mean that much of a change.

Unless Sin, you have some arcane quote where GL
    mentions he changed it explicitly, etc etc.

I think it's simply a matter of interpretation
    of burned in lava...

In short, I was pleased with the way it was presented
    and feel like the continuity was maintained.

21. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I would've prefer to have the lava splash on top of Anakin, not like the giant wave that took down the platform which Anakin and Obi-wan were fighting on, but like a bucket-sized wave because I didn't like how he just caught fire without even touching the lava.

22. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Nope. Because when you fall into lava, YOU DIE. ;)

I preferred how it went down on film. Seeing Anakin ignite and just start burning alive was great. I didn't think George had it in him to put something like that in a Star Wars film. True horror.

23. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I said I wanted the lava to splash on top of Anakin, not to have Anakin fall into the lava.

24. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    RolandofGilead posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No one ever said he fell into lava, not ever.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When I saw what became of him, I tried to dissuade him, to draw him
    back from the dark side. We fought... your father fell into a molten pit.
    When your father clawed his way out of that fiery pool, the change had been
    burned into him forever...." - Ben Kenobi to Luke Skywalker, ROTJ novel. 1983.

Close enough.

Oh, and I like the film version just as it is.

Parts of him did fall into a molten pit, so its true from a certain point of view. :D The film version is the way it should be.

25. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Exactly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.