main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are you upset that Anakin didn't fall in lava?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by brook_33, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthGroznii

DarthGroznii Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    They were pushing it by having Anakin that close to the lava. In reality, being that close to molten lava would have burnt him to a cinder. Falling in would have meant he had dissolved entirely.

2. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    They were pushing it by having Anakin that close to the lava. Well yeah. Actually during the fight, they were both too close to the lava to have any energy left. :p

3. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    No one ever said he fell into lava, not ever.

:confused:

Why would you say that??

I remember hearing a long time ago that he fell into lava. Were these just rumors that were going around in certain circles or what? :confused:

4. Darth-sennin

Darth-sennin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2001
    When I was a kid and I read that Anakin fell into lava, I spent a good hour just trying to figure out how the hell that would work. Getting splashed is one possibility, or having one of Palpatine's droids fish him out immediatley would be another. Either way it would be an enormous stretch of the imagination, even with the force. I saw a guy on tv stick a chicken drumstick in a lava stream for about 2 seconds. When he pulled it out, all that was left was the piece of bone he was holding onto. Anakin woud have been instantly disintigrated. However, despite being a significant change to what we were told/imagined, the way it worked out blew me away. Allowing Obi-wan and the audience to actually watch Anakin be lit on fire was something I NEVER expected from SW.

5. Darth_Vader1972

Darth_Vader1972 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    I think that the way GL did it in the movie works just fine for me. I never been able to picture Anakin falling into lava. his leg catching fire was much more believable to me.

6. DarthFisto

DarthFisto Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2002
    Yeah, if he fell into lava, I would be forced to call the unrealistic police.

Though, there is lightspeed travel in Star Wars, so I guess that doesn't matter.

7. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Previous page Master r8hitman.
    I typed a passage from the ROTJ novel.
    Ben tells Luke that Anakin fell into a molten pit etc, etc....
    same difference as far as I'm concerned!

8. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I always pictured the fight being on the black/brown rock/dirt ground of Mustafar. The fight would lead up the hill so that Obi-wan could cut Anakin in half and Anakin would fall over the cliffside and into a lake of lava. Just sayin.

9. toronto-gush

toronto-gush Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2003
    Everyone assumes that Anakin would have to fall into a lava lake. What if he fell into one or two feet of lava? That could be pretty cool and realistic. The only things that had to be saved for him to survive are his heart, some lung and his head. Of course, he would also keep his mechanical hand to crawl away.

10. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I always thought it to be unrealistic for Anakin to survive a lava bath, so I was very relieved to see that it was the intense heat that burned him up in the actual film.

11. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I typed a passage from the ROTJ novel.
    Ben tells Luke that Anakin fell into a molten pit etc, etc....
    same difference as far as I'm concerned!

The ROTJ novel also says that Owen Lars is Obi-Wan's brother.

12. Jetta

Jetta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2001
    As JMN77 first quoted, the RotJ novel does say Anakin fell into the lava. When I first read the novelization, I was asking myself, "How the heck are they going pull that off?" Then I saw RotK and thought Lucas might do it a different way. At that point, I didn't think RotS would get a PG-13 rating. I thought if they Anakin DID fall into the pit, it would be a Sithly transformation. Being reborn of flame, fire, everything that symbolizes power and hate. However, I'm very happy with the end results. Works to the films benefit. (My two creds...:p )

13. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005
    With all due respect Qui-Gon Kim I'm well aware of that.
    If you read the exchange, you'll note that I'm responding to
    Rolando's assertion that it was NEVER stated that Anakin fell
    into lava. I was just proving that it has been stated.
    [face_peace]

14. Darth_Froschler

Darth_Froschler Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2004
    Dude, if he fell in lava, his whole body would disintegrate instantly.

15. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Are you upset that Anakin didn't fall in lava?

But he did. He did. He loved Padme very much.

Oh, wait. It says lava, not love. Nevermind.

:p

16. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005
    [face_dancing]

17. egolden23

egolden23 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2005
    Growing up, My friends older brother told me that Anakin fell into a volcano, onto a ledge inside the volcano (not into lava)and was crushed by the falling rock on which he stood before it caved in (while fighting Obi Wan, who did not fall in). Hence the rock crushed his legs,(and possible arms) and broke his ribs, severely damaging his lungs, which was why he needed a "walking iron lung". Never in my childhood did I hear he fell directly into lava.

This would have worked for the film too, but the way Lucas did it was masterful. I would not have wanted it any other way.

18. Kenobi_1349

Kenobi_1349 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    it would have been cool to see, but i dont think its possible to survive falling into lava.

19. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Anything's possible in a space opera.

And no I wasn't upset.

20. Thulium

Thulium Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 1999
    What's the problem? Anakin did fall into lava. When first struck down, he fell along the shore, but because he was unable to climb out, he slid into the lava and caught fire. Based on Anakin's scars at the end of RotJ, I had expected him to get a lightsaber cut on his head, but I wouldn't say I was disappointed that it didn't turn out that way.

21. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    Anakin's clothing is what originally catches on fire and then it consumes him. The scarring and gashes on his head are caused from extreme cracking from the skin just getting destroyed by the fire. Sorry if that's not fun to listen to but it's true.

22. Darth_Aramis

Darth_Aramis Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2005
    The dicussion is very amusing considering that we all had our own speculation as to how the duel ended. It is just impossible not to play it out in your mind before you see the actual film for the first time. I knew that Obi-Wan had severed Anakin's legs, but in my own speculation, I had an image of Anakin's legs being cut off while both were on the lava surfers, Anakin instantly dropping to what was his knees, and consumed in a lava wave as it spewed up from the river and engulfed his body. I had almost expected to see it that way in the film, only because it was the first image of that scene that came to my mind. I love the way the scene was done. It was so disturbing to watch for the first time. I wasn't prepared to see Anakin struggling, with only one limb left, to pull himself up a gravel bank, only to keep sliding further done each time he tried to pull himself up. It was sick. But I loved it, because it made me feel so much emotion.

23. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    he has the scar on his head in ROTS alright, though.

24. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    It would have been cool he slid into the lava only up to his knees, but GL needed time for some dialogue before the screams of agony, so I couldn't have it any other way!

25. Dj_Stevie_C

Dj_Stevie_C Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    What we missed from Return of the Jedi:

Obi: "and he fell into a molten pit."
    Luke: "He fell into lava?"
    Obi: "NO not into lava, he was at the side of Lava."
    Luke: "So he didn't fall into lava?"
    Obi: "No, on the shore of a lava river, he caught fire and burned right in front of me."
    Luke: "So... why didn't you save him?"
    Obi: "Um, well he said he hated me..."
    Luke: "And for that you let him burn???"
    Obi: "Erm, well, he did some other nasty things too"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.