main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are you upset that Anakin didn't fall in lava?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by brook_33, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    It was perfect. It couldn't have been done any better.

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm not upset that Anakin didn't fall in lava. The core idea of Anakin's flesh being eviscerated remains the same; where it differs, it feels fresh and logical. That Anakin lies at the very periphery of the bank but doesn't completely fall into the lava may also now be considered symbolic: he's taken a mighty fall and descended to almost complete evil, but like the small portion of flesh that remains, he will retain a modicum of humanity and embrace it more fully than ever in years to come.

A lot more could also be said about this sequence. In brief, the idea of Anakin lying on the ground while Obi Wan towers above him invited and accomodated new possibilities - possibilities Lucas took full advantage of. We see Anakin desperately clawing his way up in a futile bid to reach Obi Wan, but morally and physically, he's now a shadow of what he once was and cannot succeed. The image of Anakin lying there is stark. It allows for a more thoughtful and emotional response from audiences than Anakin simply falling into lava. The scene is immeasurably better as it was finally conceived and shot. There's no comparison.

3. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    i always imagined that you saw anakin fall over the ledge from obi wans pov. obi wan thinks hes dead leaves, from that same perspective you see the burned hand of anakin reach over the ledge as he pulled himself out. i like that idea better because it leaves it to your imagination and fit in more with what was said in the rotj novel and lucas' own mouth

4. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    [face_laugh] smart aleck!!!
    My bad man, I was'nt trying to be a douchebag.
    You've definatly got a good point about meat drying out and burning.
    I guess we'll have to chalk this one up to continuity issues.
    Afterall, if Vader had'nt stop burning then the OT would be
    one big plot hole.
    [face_peace]

5. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Humans can not get that close to lava without serious damage neither Obi or Ani were damaged by the lava that was around them or on them. I dont beleive that if Anakin had fallen into the lava it would have been unbelivable, for decades people thought that that is whathappened to him and we were keen to beleive it. I only wish Anakin had fallen in because it would better understand his injuries. Anakin was not very hurt by what happened to him on Mustafar, his burns could have heeled after some years though he would always be scarred. I just think if he had fallen into lava it would explain better why he is unable to breath on his own for 20 decades.

6. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Granted meat and wood are different, but if you make a HUGE campfire and let it burn itself out, there will likely be pieces of wood relatively unscathed. Living tissue and meat are also different...I'm certain there is much less moisture in a steak you are about to eat than in living muscle tissue.

Carnage

7. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    The basic problem was always that taking a plunge straight into lava wouldn't just wound Anakin, he'd be dead. Maybe some kind of Force-bubble malarky could've been used but then he'd be completely un-harmed instead...he couldn't get just 'kinda' wounded that way. He'd either be safe, or go up like a roman candle and be disintergrated within a second or two.

I think they came up with the smartest way to do it. Have Anakin set alight by the sparks and cinders from the very nearby lava, rather than dipping into it. It fits, plus that way we get the drama of Anakin clawing up the bank as Obi-Wan stands there rather than just a flash of flame and Anakin's gone.

8. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    it couldve been left to our imaginations though like i said in the above post

9. Darth Nemesis

Darth Nemesis Jedi Master star 1

May 5, 1999
    I think it would have been cool If Obi Wan had just cut his arm off, and then he fell off the cliff, say 30 ft down and landed on his back, completely breaking it, and his neck. Then maybe a small wave hits the shore and some of it splatters onto of him, and starts to burn the legs off with each strike of the next waves until Palp shows up and pulls him out. What I want to know is why doesn't palps robes and shoes catch on fire!!!

10. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2005
    True, although given one's age(saw/read the OT as a kid or not), the image would vary wildly. Until ROTS, I always pictured them dueling on a rope bridge or something, and Anakin "falling into a pit of lava".

11. Migel_Vos

Migel_Vos Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2005
    No... I was upset Palp. didn't trip and fall into the lava, man I hate that guy.

12. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    It was much better to see him burst into flames while obi wan watches, and pathologically speaking, it is very slim to none that a normal human could survive the wounds anakin recieved, even mild full thickness burns covering a large portion of the body results in hypotension, fluid loss, infection, and death.

13. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    No... I was upset Palp. didn't trip and fall into the lava, man I hate that guy.

That would be anti-climactic, but a very good example of irony... or paradox... I don;t know, I'm no gramarer...

14. JediMasterKenobi07

JediMasterKenobi07 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    The scene is fine the way it is. , if Anakin fell into lava he would have melted in a matter of moments.

15. spacerocker

spacerocker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Stand near lava and you incinerate? I have heard this said many times and wasn't very sure if it was true. A few months ago I saw an episode of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe and he was only about THREE FEET from hot lava in Hawaii. He did not burn to a cinder.

I tried to find a photo of him online doing this but couldn't find one so here are some other people pretty darn close to lava.

[image=http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/gallery/kilauea/erupt/2553003_L.jpg]
    [image=http://prh.fotoshowpro.com/MedRez/PRH316PhotoResourceHawaii.jpg]
    [image=http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2003/01/03/image535129x.jpg]

At most I would think they'd get first and second degree burns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.