main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ARENA BCS PICK-EM CHALLENGE

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by RX_Sith, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I've preregistered a BCS Pick-Em that anyone can join.

It is on Yahoo at the following link: ARENA BCS PICK-EM.

Go to Home page. Select Join Group. Select Join Group again.

The Group ID is 11437.

The password is arena bcs (all lowercase and a space between arena and bcs).

Once the bowl games are set, you will be able to make your picks as to who you think will win each bowl game. The top person will receive colors and be proclaimed the ARENA BCS PICK-EM CHAMPION (not based on any other hokey rankings).

So join now and prepare for the Arena BCS Pick-Em.

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I've signed up.

Question; what does the Set Name have to be?

3. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    The set name will be based on a confidence factor from what it looks like. So, you will pick each game and then rank them according to the set value (1-34 apparently...)

So, pick 34, 33, 32, down to 1 for how confident you think that team will be the other team once the teams are placed in their prospective Bowl games.

The person with the most points will be the winner (so you could theoretically lose a lot of picks, but still end up with the highest score if all of the ones that you assign higher values win and those that don't are those that you assigned lower numbers.

So, I would think carefully as to which team you think will definitely win and which are probable upsets. Good luck.

4. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Confidence factor? Oh, that isn't as fun as straight-up picking... I'll join soon anyways though. Gotta win after being so close last year. :p

5. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm in, ought to be fun.

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm in!

7. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    All right, I'm in.

8. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    All righty, I'm in and registered.

9. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'll register in a few days.

10. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Okay, so I haven't posted much in the forum over the season, but let's see how I go anyway.

11. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    I'm finally in. I have a bad feeling about this.

12. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    The BCS games should be released today. I will then tell everyone when the deadline to makes your picks will be.

Also, does anyone want to have just a straight up Pick-Em with just the winner of the game chosen and no confidence points?

If so, we can have both and you can still win colors for either one. I will see if any place has just a straight up Pick-Em and if so then I'll post the required information later on today.

13. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002

I just did my picks (it just became live 8 minutes ago). The confidence points are so tough. Its so hard to choose a game that I'm 100% confident on. There simply isnt one. Theres always the Cinderella story.

I'm 100% for the straight Pick-Em.

14. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    Straight Pick-Em? YES! YES! I'd still do the confidence stuff on yahoo, but I really liked how we just did the bowl pick-em here last year. I wouldn't mind keeping this in the Arena, if it isn't too much trouble. But then again, managing that is a hassle for you, so I understand your reasons for wanting to do it outside of the Arena.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Joined.

And I definitely like straight pick-em better.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Question, with only a handful.... what about doing that ranking more by hand? As I recall, Yahoo's March Madness brackets told you how many you got right, even though there was a weighting system for that as well. I'd presume the Bowl Pick-em would do the same.

Edit: Just went and checked, and it does look like it will display the number of correct picks as well, so it seems easiest to just do it all through Yahoo, and then you'll just have two sets of numbers, one being a score using confidence points, and one being just based on the number of correct picks.

17. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Okay. The one on Yahoo will also keep track of how many you get right. So, really it should not be too hard to figure out who gets the most right out of all 34 games. But, as I stated, you could get the most right, but still not win due to missing whichever ones you rate at the most confidence points.

We will break it into two different winners. One for most right and one for highest confidence factor. If it happens to be the same person then we'll double their week of colors. You have until December 20th (it states to have all picks in before the first game on December 20th), so I would say to be safe to have them completed no later than December 19th. It also states that the deadline to make or change your picks is five minutes before each game is scheduled to begin, so again it's up to you to make your picks on time and you can change them up to no later than 5 minutes before each game begins.

That will give everyone 11 days to decide who to pick and how many confidence points to assign to each pick. Only one pick is allowed per person. If you want to do more than one pick, sign up in a different league, but of course, only the picks you make in the league I have made count for colors.

Tiebreaker system is as follows per Yahoo rules:

Where two or more players finish with the same number of points, here's the system that will be used to break the tie:

1.Correct winner of the BCS Championship
    2.Closest to total points
    3.Closest to the favorite team's points
    4.Closest to underdog team's points

P.S. (CBS is offering $10,000 for the winner on their fantasy site for the BCS winner). So, if you want to play for that, go ahead. Of course, only colors are offered to the winner of this Pick-Em contest. Only those picks made in this Yahoo Fantasy BCS Challenge count for this contest. All others are void. Hope that everyone has fun playing.

18. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Trika is in and ready to pick some winnars. :cool:

19. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    I dislike the fact that I can't see other people's picks before the games start. How am I going to win unless I know where they're placing them?

20. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Well, it wouldn't be a CHALLENGE if you knew, would it? :p

As I stated before, get your picks in no later than 5 minutes before each game starts. If you start off well (or bad), then at least you can change your other picks to compensate for losing or winning early.

21. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Here is this coming weekend's Bowl schedule:

Saturday December 20, 2008

EagleBank Bowl
    Wake Forest vs. Navy - 11:00am ET

New Mexico Bowl
    Colorado St. vs. Fresno St. - 2:30pm ET

St. Petersburg Bowl
    Memphis vs. South Florida - 4:30pm ET

Las Vegas Bowl
    (17) BYU vs. Arizona - 8:00pm ET

Sunday December 21, 2008

New Orleans Bowl
    Southern Miss vs. Troy - 8:15pm ET

Please remember to make your picks no later than 5 minutes before the game begins. Updated results will be posted here and available on the league page daily once the Bowl games get underway.

22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I've made my picks. ;)

23. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm glad I went back to check my picks - apparently the system didn't take them the first time, so I had to redo them.

And I don't like any of my confidence values.

24. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006

Well, at least if you mess up then you can always change them. That's a good part of this. At least you can change your choices if things go badly for you at the beginning and I or anyone else will not know that you changed them.

If I made everyone pick and that was it; no changes like last time; then it would be more difficult in a way. Hopefully, everyone will like this system. I don't believe I saw just a straight up pick-em with no confidence factor on any of the other fantasy football sites, so again, it's the best that was available.

25. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I am hands down the nerdiest when it comes to doing these things. (Made my picks early this morning)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.