main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena [Arena] The Fourth Basketball Draft Game - Auction Style

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 7, 2016.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Welcome back to the Basketball Draft Game. This is our Fourth Incarnation using WhatIf Sports to simulate the winners of your dream teams.

Basically, this is your chance to assemble hte best team ever. That's basically, Matthew Dellavedova plus these guys:

[​IMG]

As mentioned above, this is our Fourth Attempt at this. For history check out:

The First Draft, won by EmpireForever (Able to draft any player any time)
    The Second Draft, won by tom (Limited to only players from the 2012-13 NBA Season)
    The Third Draft, won by tom (Back to any player, any time)

Now, how do we play this game? Two types of participants are needed, and five phases are utilized.

The Participants:

1) The Commish - That's me. I'm going to keep the draft going by moving along the selection process (see below), posting games, posting results, and generally keeping the game moving forward.
    2) The GMs - that's you. Eight of you. You'll assemble your team, put together lineups, and respond to the ebbs and flows in your attempts to win (if tom lets you)

The Phases of the Game:

1) The Auction

Unlike in games past, we will not do a draft, but rather an auction. And, rather than select players, you'll be selecting franchises, and then assemble your team from the franchises you acquire.

Each GM gets $100 to spend/bid on teams. We do a draft order. First person up puts a team up for bid. All GMs have 24 hours to bid. Commish announces current high bid. At that point a second team is put up for auction. The first team has another 24 hours for second bids. At that point, the commish announces who won the first team's bid, what the current high bid is on the second team, and the next GM in line puts up a third team for auction.

So, it might go like this.

Day 1, tom puts the Kentucky Colonels up.
    24 hours later, The Commish announces that the current high bid is from @RX_Sith at $15. At that point in time, @DarthTunick puts the Lakers up for Auction
    24 hours later, Inty announces that tom has won the Kentucky Colonels for $16, and that the current high bid on the Lakers is Tunick at $80. At that point in time, @EmpireForever puts the Celtics up for auctions.
    The next day, Inty announces that Tunick has won the Lakers for $99, Tom is leading the Celtic Bidding at $80, and @PRENNTACULAR puts the Orlando Magic up for Auction.

We'd continue until every GM had spent all their money. Once a GM is out of money, they can't bid and they can no longer put a team up for Auction. If no other GM bids on a team, the GM that put them up for Auction gets them for $1.

At the end of the day, you might have the following:

@LloydChristmas spent $45 on the Cleveland Cavaliers, $35 for the Phoenix Suns and $20 for the Orlando Magic. He can then trot out this starting Lineup:

PG: LeBron James (Cleveland, 08-09)
    SG: Charles Barkley (Phoenix 93-94)
    SF: Shaq (Cleveland 09-10)
    PF: Shaq (Phoenix (08-09)
    C: Shaq (Orlando 95-96)

With a bench of any combination of players, with the caveat that you cannot duplicate a player with the same team (so, no multiple Cleveland LeBrons, etc).

Once you acquire a franchise, you cannot be rid of it. No trades, no add/drops.

You will also have the opportunity to name a "home arena" for your games. This can be done at any time during drafting, and need not be unique to your team (that is, two different GMs can pick the same Arena .. hell, every GM could). You should also feel free to designate a head coach, which will have no impact whatsoever on the game. But it's fun.

2) The Regular Season

We will play a full round-robin. Each team will play every other team six times (3 home and 3 away).

When the schedule is posted for the next set of games, each GM will have 24 hours to post their starting lineup. The GM will also post their first and second sub at each position, and target minutes for each player at each position.

Then, the games will be simulated at www.whatifsports.com. The Commish will provide the results and box scores, as well as any exciting/amusing acts from the simulation. All four games will be simulated back-to-back-to-back-to-back, and lineup changes will not be permitted during the four game series. Lineup changes will always be permitted between series.

Between Series, you are able to completely change your roster form any player within your franchises. That is, if you have the Lakers, you can use Kobe Bryant one round, and then not choose to use him the next.

3) The Playoffs

The teams shall be ranked according to results in the regular season by total wins. The top four teams will advance to the playoffs. The #1 team in the regular season will play the #4 team, and the #2 will play the #3. These will be best 4-of-7 series. Each GM will be allowed to change their starting lineup and sub strategy between each game. The Better seed will host games 1, 2, 5 (if necessary), and 7 (if necessary).

In the event of a tie for ranking only, the following tiebreakers will be used:

• Record in games involving tied teams
    • Margin of victory in games involving tied teams
    • Overall Margin of Victory
    • Coin Flip
    In the event of a tie for qualification to the playoffs, a one-game playoff will be used.
    The winners will advance to the Finals and play a seven-game series, with the same rules as above.
    5) The Championship Parade

The winner of the championship game will be given a parade in his honor, with the mayor blocking off much of downtown. Or, well, Game winner VIPship and colors for a week.
    To join, copy and past the list below and add your name
    1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)

2. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    [​IMG]

1)Luigi
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)

Point Given likes this.
  3. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Any limitations on Wilt?

4. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    1)Luigi
    2)RX_Sith
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    1)Luigi
    2)RX_Sith
    3)PG
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    1)Luigi
    2)RX_Sith
    3)PG
    4)tom
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Good catch. Wilt has same limitations as last draft, 30 min max for target minutes

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    1) Luigi
    2) RX_Sith
    3) PG
    4) tom
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8) Tunes

9. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    1) Luigi
    2) RX_Sith
    3) PG
    4) tom
    5)
    6)
    7) SEXYPRENN
    8) Tunes

10. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Can I bid $100 and just have five shaqs

11. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Alsoooooooo are the thunder/supersonics considered the same team?

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    LloydChristmas
    Yes. Same with Minnesota Lakers coming with the L.A. version, and other relocation situations.

13. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I will ****ing cut you prenn

Add my name to the list and please rename the money to Shaq Bucks

tom likes this.
  14. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    1) Luigi
    2) RX_Sith
    3) PG
    4) tom
    5) Lloyd
    6)
    7) SEXYPRENN
    8) Tunes

15. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I'll get in on this!

1) Luigi
    2) RX_Sith
    3) PG
    4) tom
    5) Lloyd
    6) DLOTE
    7) SEXYPRENN
    8) Tunes

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Order of auction Nomination

tom
    Tunes
    Lloyd
    DLOTE
    PG
    Luigi
    Rx
    PRENN

tom - please nominate one franchise

Once this franchise is nominated, every GM will have 24 hours to send me their initial bid

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the boston celtics

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  19. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    $1 bob

20. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    I bid 99 so save yourself some money guys and don't even try

21. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  22. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    I suppose all of the bids aren't public? I've never played an auction. Are the bids normally private?

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i pm'd mine but i also could be doing it wrong.

24. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I have a feeling I'm doing it wrong. Never done auctioning before.

25. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    I understand the strategic value of PMing, I was just wondering if that's what was normally done (passing a note to whoever is running the thing or whatever).

What I mean is if we were all in the same room, is that the kind of thing that would go on? Again, I've never done it, and I'm not arguing against PMs.