main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ARGH...how do I texture this Spider-Man

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Well, I used power to export this Poser mesh into 3DS Max for texturing and rendering. I heavily modified the textures in Photoshop. The problem is, I can't figure out how to model the head cause I suck at modeling. And the webbing textures are doing weird things around the shoulders. Is there a better way to texture this thing? Any suggestions? I'd like to do and animation with a spider-man mesh, if I can ever get one to look correct. Anyway, here is what I've got so far.....

http://www.geocities.com/night_sky_vfx/spidey/spidermansuitFRONT.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/night_sky_vfx/spidey/spidermansuitBACK.jpg

2. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Woah, a Spidey model now? Does this mean he will be making an appearance in The Soft drink menace?

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to alter the model to make the eyes look more like the actual Spiderman. Infact, I'm sure there's a load of Spiderman meshes on the net.

3. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    isn't spiderman blue and red? sorry just an observation.

4. Mister-X

Mister-X Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2001
    My guess would be that the reason that that stuff is happening with the shoulders is because you created the original textures with the model in the default "vitruvian" pose (with his arms stretched out, in other words). When you dropped the arms down to his sides, the texture naturally distorts along with the model.

The first thing to try is applying the mapping co-ordinates to a pose with the arms closer to the sides.

Something which occurs to me, though, is that, for the movie suit, the web patterns were a separate, glued on, rubbery looking material, rather than screen printed onto - or woven into - the material of the suit. Doing it that way, the web lines wouldn't stretch and become thicker or thinner as the person inside the suit moved around (or at least not as much). If you can't find a pose which can be mapped without introducing too much distortion into the textures, you'd have to either:

1) model the webbing separately (this will still be tricky, because you'll need to figure out a way to skin the webbing in such a way that the modelled webbing doesn't distort just like the textured webbing would. The only method that occurs to me at present would be to create the webbing using renderable splines)

or

2) Use a Reaction controller to blend between several versions of the texture depending on the positions of the character's arms.

I'd try and find a mapping scheme that's acceptable first, though. They managed to solve the problem when they did the CGI spidey for the movie, so there must be a solution.

As for modelling the head, c'mon, Pixel, if you want to do this stuff for a living you're going to need some modelling skills, you know. A spidey head isn't exactly hard...

5. datoolman

datoolman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2001
    No link... no click

6. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Lookin' good so far. Is that the Alex Ross costume? I've only seen small pics of it.

I'd really like to see a Spider-Man fanfilm from you as I'm currently working on one (well...sort of) and I'd like to see someone else's attempt at it (still haven't seen that Green Goblin one yet, someone here was going to host it).

7. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    "No link... no click"
    It's geocities, so if you clicked you wouldn't be able to see it anyways :p

8. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Bastion, you can watch the Green Goblin's Last Stand here

9. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    OOOOh Alex Ross's vision for the movie Spidey, cool work.
    But I don't know much about modeling....so...

10. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Pixelmagic asking for help, that has to be one of the signs of the apocalypse.

11. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999
    ^^ indeed :)

12. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Ha ha, what are you guys talking about? I always ask for help. Especially when it comes to compositing, texturing, and modeling. I lack skill level in those areas greatly. And don't worry MisterX, I start college in two weeks, and I am going through a rigous training corse in Maya, and the first chapter of the course is 3D modeling. So yes I will learn it. And I too thought of using renderable splines, I just don't know how to attach them to the mesh. Argh, I really should learn modeling before I attempt something this difficult.

13. Mister-X

Apr 30, 2001
    The easiest way would be to use the "Cut" tool that's part of Editable Mesh to cut new edges into the mesh where you want the webbing to be. Then export those edges as a shape (make it linear rather than smooth). Apply the same Skin or Physique modifer to the shape as well as the original mesh. The skinning modifier will deform the spline control points just like they were mesh vertices. The only problem you have now is that, because the spline is linear, the renderable version will be shaded as a set of straight lines, while the facets of the mesh will be shaded as if they're curved surfaces. Since the lines are black anyway, that might not matter. If it does look odd, you could create a Mesher Compound Object based on the shape, hide the original shape, and apply a Smooth modifier to the Mesher. All pretty simple, really ;)

Seriously, though, like I said before, the first thing to try is creating a texture based on a pose with the arms down by the sides...

14. BorgLover874479

BorgLover874479 Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2002
    A little OT, but, as well as wanting to do Star Wars, Ive always wanted to make a Spiderman fan film but cant find a mesh anywhere -- if anyone knows where I can get one, PLEASE tell me! BTW, looking good! Like the costume

15. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Well Mister-X, thank you for the explaination. I'm afraid though, that your knowledge of 3DS Max is far superior to mine. I wouldn't even know how to do what you are talking about. I think I will go through a few modeling tutorials, and maybe try to finish this project sometime in a few months. The webbing is a pain, and no matter what I do, I can't get it to look right. And besides, I really should learn character studio, so I will work on that for a while. Thanks though. And yes everyone, that is Alex Ross's textures on the costume. I just altered it to my own tastes. The webbing is raised on my version, like it is in the movie.

16. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    WOAH i kinda understood mister-x's explination, i guess i am learning :D

17. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Actually JBK I believe someone was going to host a downloadable version of GGLS. I've only got 56k at home so I haven't bothered watching it yet.

18. BorgLover874479

BorgLover874479 Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2002
    A downloadable version of TGGLS would be amazing! (Stupid 56k connection!) -- still looking for a MAX or 3ds version of Spidey and co. -- if anyone has any info, please help a guy out.

19. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    mister-x how would you go about exporting those cut verts(or whatever they are)?

20. Obi-Timbo

Obi-Timbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2001
    There is a site with lots of 3d comic hero meshes that you can download. Just go to this link Animotions, and fill out the little registration which is free.

Tim

21. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    yeesh....I dunno, but he ugly. :p

;)
    Kyle

22. Mister-X

Apr 30, 2001
    Macho:

I'd only do it that way if I absolutely couldn't find a mapping scheme that worked okay.

Here's how to do it:

First examine your mesh to see if it already has any edges that you can use. Given that Spidey's web patterns are sort of similar to your average mesh topology, the chances are fairly high. If so, Go into Edge mode, and select all of those edges.

Now click on the "Cut" button. The cursor will become a crosshair whenever you position it over an edge. Click the mouse to start a cut, and then click it over another edge and you'll cut any of the faces that lie between the two edges that you clicked on.

It's probably best to just cut one face at a time, mostly. I'd turn on 3d snapping to "Vertex" too, so you can join up your cuts (and checking "Ignore Backfacing" will probably be helpful, as well).

When you've finished cutting up the mesh, all of the new edges that you created will be selected, so you can click on "Create Shape from Edges" and a dialogue box will pop up. That stuff that I said before about making the shape linear and then using a Mesher to smooth the shading if neccesary was dumb: Make the shape smooth, but set the Interpolation Steps to zero, instead.

Now you can select the mesh object and the shape that you just made, and apply a Skin or Physique modifier to them both together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.