main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Argh. Sex in Star Wars just does not work

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Drew_Atreides, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cradok

Cradok Jedi Master star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    It's actually Empire when you see it first, with Luke's hand. No blood there. Same with all the people that he attacks on the Sail Barge in Jedi.

2. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    but the issue of cautaurisation isn't raised explicitly till later.

3. The_Ghostrider

The_Ghostrider Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2002
    Good points, Gandalf. Some people seem to have very selective memories of what was written in the EU novels.

4. puppyglo

puppyglo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2003
    I have nothing against sex in Star Wars. If there was no sex then people would eventually die, and then no one would be left to carry on and entertain us with their adventures. Cloning our heroes is not an option either. Cause clones, once they reach a certain age become mentally unstable. I don't think we would want a Han Solo clone running around waving a blaster while having a nervous breakdown now would we?

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Oi. Was that astute, erudite post really worth upping this beast for? 8-}

6. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I'd PM you a witty comment or two, Mastadge, but the PM system is broken. :(

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's fixed now. And you can still send PMs while the system is broken. :p

8. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    A lightsaber cauterizes the wound it makes, we're told (it's stated in DT, iirc)

I've just skim-read through most of this thread, and it's interesting reading, actually. Let me sum up how I see things;

1) Has SW gone 'too far'?

There are, of course, two possible answers; YES and NO. [face_stating_the_obvious] The answer depends upon another question;

2) WHAT IS 'TOO FAR'?

We're not going to come to an agreement on that, I think, especially on an international community board. After all, each one of us has our own unique perspective, shaped by multiple factors. At a guess, I'd isolate some of those factors as being; Occupation, Social class, Region, Age, Gender and Ethnicity (there may be more, I just remembered the good old OSRAGE acronym). Our perspectives can be shaped by our professions (or some would say our perspectives dictate our professions?), e.g. someone who believes contraception is a sin before God is unlikely to work in a family planning clinic. As a result, the people who would work in a family planning clinic are unlikely to have their perspectives watered down by encountering the groups who believe their job is wrong, and vice versa. Does attitude vary with social class? I don't know; I, of course, only have full understanding of my *own* social class, which is confusing enough! It *has* to vary with region, which is one this thread has examplified most nicely. Does the attitude vary with age? Well, someone who's a mid-thirties parent might have a *very* different attitude to a hormonally hyperactive teenager (to use the bog-standard cliched examples). Do male and female have a differing attitude towards sex? Difficult to say. And ethnicity (including religion) obviously has a massive impact, from Christian Fundamentalism to Islamic Fundamentalism all the way down the line to Liberalism and the current 'post-Christian' society...

You see what I'm trying to say? We will all inevitably have our own unique perspective on 'what is too far', based on the combination of these (and other?) factors.

My own personal perspective is shaped by my Christian beliefs, in which I guess I'm quite a Fundamental. I believe sex to be a great gift from God, to be used *only* in the right context. But I do know the real world doesn't work like that, and if I want my heroes 3-D, I have to accept *they* won't necessarily work like that. But how does this flow into my reading choice? Simple; I don't mind it being hinted, but I don't like it gone into detail. Is this the right attitude for SW? I think so, actually, since I see SW as much a moral phenomenon as a fantasy one. *shrugs* I doubt there'll ever be concensus on this topic!

9. Ransel

Ransel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2003
    I am glad someone brought this one up. I really enjoy reading the Star Wars novels but I have one complaint. There isn't enough romance in them. I don't want a penthouse forum but if you think about sex/romance in the star wars universe, a disney cartoon has more action going on. Where are the crushes, romantic flings, the stupid things people do when they think they are in love, the flirting, and seduction. a lot of you are complaining about Stackpole, I think he does a fantastic job with Star Wars although he could have made them more like his other novels(more MA14). This is just my opinion and it doesn't make it right but I think Star Wars novels need to address sex/romance and the effects it has in decision characters make everyday.

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Has someone attempted to hijack this thread from what it's supposed to be about? Correction, it appears they did. It is good to see it's still around, though the hijacking doesn't seem right.

11. JawaChef

JawaChef Jedi Master star 3

Feb 13, 2001
    Hey, when did Ackbar walk in on Han and Leia mating? LOL

12. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Because my 'regular' boards are so quiet I decided to venture out into the rest of the forums *blinks from the blinding light*

I haven't read much of the EU... (but I'm poking around as the Clone Wars are addressed and I did pick up Tatooien's Ghost... disapointing*) so I'm prettyy ignorant as far as the situation HERE goes persay...

I'm all for well handled depictions of lovemaking and I really hope that after E-3 we get some nice love scenes with Ani and his WIFE... after all, Luke and Leia have to come from somewhere....

13. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I don't mind the romance part of SW. In fact, I think any good story should have a romantic element to it, but that it should remain a subplot. It's an extra flavor; an added touch if you will. Frankly, I like SW because of it's technology, philosophical connotations and in the end, it's human side. The characters are always human and they make mistakes, they fall in love, but live in a world/environment bigger than themselves. With Gods known as Star destroyers and Jedi; it's a frightening place but also a fun one.

14. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Exactly-SW without love and romance would be a cold, sterile place.

15. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Indeed, Guin.

Okay, so Stackpole alludes to sex a bit more than other previous authors. It's meantioned in the (sorry folks, I have to say it) Black Fleet Crisis as well.

Should sex be mentioned in graphic detail in SW profic? No! However, I personally have no trouble with it being alluded to or mentioned in passing.
    While Drew_Atreides might be right in saying it takes away a bit form Lucas's vision, I think it a nice step in the evolution of the SWU as a whole. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.