main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arkanian Information Dump

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NilSpaarPR, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NilSpaarPR

NilSpaarPR Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2003
    Hi all.

I'm looking for as much info on the planet/race of Arkanians as possible. I have the Essential Guides, so don't bother quoting from them, but any other sources, (especially RPG blurbs), should be quoted verbatim, if at all possible.

Thanks bunches.

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    If you can find it, try the Tales of the Jedi Companion. Also check the Tales of the Jedi comics and possibly a little in the Dark Empire sourcebook.

3. NilSpaarPR

Dec 20, 2003
    I have the Tales of the Jedi comics, but I really don't think I can find those WEG source books. I mean, aren't they out of print? Do you have em? Can you write out any relevant sections at some point, please?

4. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    I only have the DE sourcebook. And yes, the WEG books are out of print, but there are places online where you can still get them, particularuy places like e-bay. The Rancor Pit offers links to other places where you may be able to purchase WEG books. And this is all you can get on Arkanians from pages 49 and 50, the first paragraph of the Luwingo entry, of the Dark Empire Sourcebook:

The Arkanians are one of the most scientifically-minded species in the entire Colonies region. Centuries ago, they encountered their primitive neighbors, the Yaka. Taking pity on them, they began performing brain enhancement cyborging surgeries on them. Already bulky and strong, the Yaka were soon refashioned into one of the most intelligent and technically deft species in the Republic. They often find their minds buzzing with accelerated thoughts and perceptions, but after a while, the chaotic randomness is quite boring. Now if the Arkanians were really kind, they would have found a cure for boredom. The unexpected side effects of their greatly enhanced intelligence has given the Yaka a twisted sense of life and a bizarre sense of humor.

As you can tell, that's really just about the Yaka and how the Arkanians "helped" them. But that's about all there is one Arkanians in the DE Sourcebook.

5. jedi_master_ikrit

jedi_master_ikrit Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2002
  6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    There was a Gand in that story which was linked to: "Farg". Is there any more info on this "Farg"? You know how I love Gand. ;)

7. jedi_master_ikrit

Aug 2, 2002
    The trend in Planet Hoppers seems to be creating a new character specifically for that entry, which probably holds true for Farg.

8. NilSpaarPR

Dec 20, 2003
    Hmmm...

Any info on archetecture anywhere? Are their cities/buildings underground?

Perhaps a more in-depth description of planetary features.

Have any sources talked about where the race orginated from/what they were called before Arca moved them to Arkania?

Also, was the planet damaged at all during the attack in Star By Star, or did the Wild Knightz keep the Yuuzhan Vong warriors from landing anywhere on the planet/moons?

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The 'Star Wars Encyclopedia' has the following entry for Arkania:
    "A tundra world in the Colonies region, it is covered by diamond pits where miners extract melon-sized gems from the planet's crust. Jedi Master Arca Jeth established a Jedi training outpost in the wlderness of Arkania some 4,000 years before the Battle of Yavin. Centuries ago, the scientifically-minded Arkanians began cyber-enhancing the brains of their primitive neighbors, the Yaka. Soon the stocky Yaka were one of the most intelligent and quick-minded species in the galaxy, with a bizarre sense of humor to match. Animal life on the planet includes the Arkanian dragon and jellyfish."

10. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    One thing was odd, in the TOTJ sourcebook it seems that Arkania has no sentient species, and that it has a population of a few hundred! This is incorrect tho. Note that Arkania was the site of a battle in the NJO.

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Very true RWR.

In SbS, the world of Arkania was defended by several old Golan Defense platforms, as well as several of those new Balmorran defense platforms. It also had a large congigent of starfighters and a small NR task force defending it.

12. NilSpaarPR

Dec 20, 2003
    But do we know if the Vong warriors made it to the planetary surface at all?

Does anyone think it might have been possible?

13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, the attack itself was a diversion.

IIRC, the Vong pulled out of the system.

So, I suppose that you can assume that Arkania never fell to the Vong.

14. NilSpaarPR

Dec 20, 2003
    But could there have been any ground skirmishes on Arkania? If a clever fan-fic author wanted there to be, I mean... ;)

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I suppose that a small infiltration party of Vong could of made it on to Arkania.....

*wink wink* ;)

16. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  17. NilSpaarPR

Dec 20, 2003
    ;)

I need that info on archetecture, though. Does any source mention if they build their cities underground like the Csillan Chiss? Or in cliff faces, like the Lurrians? :confused:

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You said you had the Essential Guides. In the Essential Guide to Planets and Moons there is a small line drawing of Trade City. Looks like it is on the surface to me. That's all I could come up with, however.

19. NilSpaarPR

Dec 20, 2003
    Good point. [face_blush]

20. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Holonet News revealed that the genetically created Stone Mites (from the 28th issue of the marvel series) were Arkanian.

21. NilSpaarPR

Dec 20, 2003
    Could anyone with the downloadable version of TimeTales please post their summary of that Marvel issue, as the internet version is down?

That would be a big help.

22. jedi_master_ikrit

Aug 2, 2002
    Who says TimeTales is down? ;)

"The Marvel Series: Whatever happened to Jabba the Hut? (#28)"

On the planet Orlean, Han and Chewie are in the middle of very difficult 'negotiations' with an irate "Jabba." He wants Han and Chewie dead -- but not bad enough to destroy the Falcon in the bargain. Han discovers stone mites on the planet -- a biological weapon developed in the Clone Wars. And Mosep caves them in a cavern full of them.

Han takes off through the cavern, cooking the little bugs in the process. He finds Jabba's ship being eaten up by mites, and graciously allows the Nimbanel on the Falcon. In return, "Jabba" lifts the price on Solo's head -- for now.

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Even if the Arkanian world population was a "few hundred", that was thousands of years ago. Their technological progeciency could have done something about that. Bith are genetically birthed in some way, they're not actually naturally born anymore.

Cathar was also devestated quite badly in the KOTOR era. And if Cathar mate only once for life, that would put a damper on reproductive numbers.

24. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Considering there were Cathar families in Redemption with more than one child, I doubt they mate only once for life. They do, however, mate for life as Sylvar is saddened that her mate, Crado, is dead and so she'll never have a chance to have children of her own. Wonder if the Cathar refuse to adopt.

25. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    The TOTJ sourcebook is in error when it syas that Arkania has a population of one hundred, just like when it says Arkania has no sentien species.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.