main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark Arkansas con

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by ti7267, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ti7267

ti7267 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    We need to get one of these going here, anyone know of any comic, toys etc stores that would maybe put in to help out?

2. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    There has been a Con in Arkansas for a few years this last year they had problems with another event using the Hotel. So they cancelled I have tried a few times to get intouch with them. I will keep trying.

3. Korvyn

Korvyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    yeah its called Rock con something like that. it would be nice to have something going on that wasn't 6 hours away or more.

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I just hope that whatever con y'all have in your area doesn't suck as bad as what we have here in Memphis. Mid-South Con is horrid, but it is the best place to go to make fun of geeks. (Star Wars Fans go there to feel cool.) With the help of the 501st, we in the SMT have made progress in increasing the SW presence over the past three years.

And why is it called Mid-South Con? Because Embarrassment Con was already taken.

5. davisjaron

davisjaron Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    dude it would be awsome if we had a con here in arkansas... it would TOTALLY go to it!!!

6. ti7267

Jul 31, 2005
    i have some ideas, problem is getting the money to pay for something to do one. we up here in NWA have a thing called vintage stock if we could get with them maybe talk about them doing a con. (since im getting ready 501st wise if things don't work out goto Garrison None, make AR a outpost or get honoary membership to another garrison) is trying to get fanforce, RL, and 501st to work together on something here.

7. Korvyn

Jun 3, 2005
    Vintage stock is actually getting to be a beigger chain. i know they have 2 stores in Tulsa from when i went there last year. so if we could get them to work something out that would be great.

Edit: here is a con in OKC thats Starting up this year. www.soonercon.com i will see what else i can find fairly close.

8. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Last time I was in the Springdale Vintage Stock I overheard them say something about a Fayetteville store opening later this year.
    That'll be awesome as long as it's not all the way down near Farmington, then it would be just as far away from me as Springdale.

Yeah, I've heard of RockCon for a few years now. It's a shame it's been canned this year.

9. Korvyn

Jun 3, 2005
    http://www.rockon.org/

10. ti7267

Jul 31, 2005
    yeah i was going to have the Star Garrison's PR officer get ahold of them and talk about some events, as i said Star is in some ummm reorganizional phase right now so we will see :)

11. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    So, does the fact they are still anouncing the cancellation of 05 tell us there will be no 06 either?

Should we start our own like Memphis' Timmycon?

12. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    I have thought of that several times Jacob but remember the headache they had starting off. Also where in the world would we have it Tracy has been trying to get ahold of Alltell to see about getting one of there rooms. If there rooms are to much maybe we could do a trade with them like we show up in costume for a football game or somthing wich would bring them more money and then they could donate the room.

13. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Mr. President,

I like the way you think!!!

14. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Me too! Let's keep brainstorming and see what we can do...

15. ChaseKeJac

ChaseKeJac Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2006
    I hate to jump in, but I am a MOD/General of The Grand Amy of the Republic and we've been having pretty good luck with getting CON places interested. We're in discussion with Summit Arena in Hot Springs to have a Con there in later '06.

I noticed there was a comment about the Star Garrison going thru "reorganization". I could never get anyone to contact me. Maybe that's why....

16. VADER312

VADER312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    TALK TO INVADER OR JER...THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES WITH ANY BRAINS AROUND THERE. THE OTHERS ARE CHUMPS.

17. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    So, are there any hints of there ever being a real con here?

Should we plan one for 07? I think it is too late for 06, but a 30th anniversary celebration of our own would be cool.

18. plainhavoc

plainhavoc Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2006
    I have been talking with the park manager of the Kay Rogers park in Ft. Smith. I do some security work there and have been told that the 24,000 sq ft building would be around $2,400 per day plus a drastically reduced "move in day" for vendors to set up. If we could find enough interest vendor wise, and sponsor wise.. The Vintage Stock idea is great. Is there anyone to follow up on that? I also know a couple of larger business owners around the FS area that might be willing to co sponsor. They're complete SW fans themselves. Including one of the owners of K-mac(golden partners)franchise "taco bell, golden corral, etc" I believe that he could convince the other guys to pitch in.
    We also need to think about guests. The bigger the guest (with advertising) the bigger the crowd. I personally was thinking of this list. Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and someone from another genre, say starbuck from BSG. or maybe one of the firefly characters. Any ideas would be great. I will be contacting Mr. Daniels by the end of the week and ask what he charges for appearances. He cares about the fans a great deal as well as Kenny Baker. They would be the best "mannered" out of any of the origional cast. Carrie Fisher I've heard has been rude with fans as of the past few years. I think she would best be avoided.
    Well, Hope this gives some Ideas to everyone. Just a recap... Sponsors, Guests, Volunteers??? We'll need that too!

HaVoC out

19. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    What time frame were you thinking, Havoc?

20. ti7267

Jul 31, 2005
    hav i will pm you my phone number if you want to talk about this on the phone, i have some ideas and such about it.

21. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    For what it's worth, http://www.billstoysandgames.com/ is in Shreveport, LA. That's not too far away, so you may want to contact Bill and see if he wants to make the trip and set up a booth. There's also a guy in the Memphis area that does the flea market circuit who came to TimmyCon 2 in Memphis. He may be interested. PM QuiGonTim in Memphis and see if he still has his info--if not, I think I saved a flyer. I will look for it.

As for Arkansith support, I think you can count on it. A lot of our core members are Con addicts and we would love to see one take off in Arkansas. Just let us know how we can help and contribute.

Dates you are thinking about?

...You could probably count on support from OK City SW groups too.

22. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    You also may want to contact the Game Store and the Comic Store in Little Rock (I know, original names) to see if they want to sponsor and/or set up vendor booths.

23. plainhavoc

plainhavoc Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2006
    Thank you everyone for the ideas and contacts. This has been (so far) a thrill... and a headache. I hope to set up a meeting locally within the next three to four weeks, maybe a little later. Right now, the time area is looking Aug 07. I will need help and am currently trying to organize a panel to delegate tasks with. I am new to this, as I have only been to one local sci fi con and one in GA. Any more ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Who would be interested in a trip to the Ft. Smith area? When I get the panel together, I will let everyone know the exact date, time, directions, etc. I will also be setting up a frappr map between now and then as well. Hope to meet everyone soon, and I deleted the pm and then lost the number somewhere. 479-208-2075 is my cell. Prety much anytime after 3:30pm is the best time to get ahold of me. or plainhavoc@cox.net. place arkansith somwhere in subject so I can see it better. Well, it's late for me, I'd better get to bed. 4:30 comes WAY too early in the morning...<//=- (night owl)

Sincerly, Robert Porter aka HaVoC

24. lysander316

lysander316 Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2006
    That sounds great! I'm still busy working on my first Jedi Knight costume, so by then, it should be ready. One question, though...Is Kay Rogers Park the right spot for it? I mean, couldn't we have it in a more "civilized" space like the downtown convention center? Downtown has a lot of everything for everyone, almost...great access to Garrison Ave stores and restaurants (though, seriously, there don't seem to be very many stores left, but lots of great restaurants). Just something to think about. I know...I'm new here, so...I don't want to step on any toes....

...may the Force be with you.

25. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    Welcome, Lysander!

So are you talking about doing this outside?

I was thinking about this the other day and was wondering: Do we really want to have a Con in Arkansas in August? I mean, those of us who costume are hot enough when inside with temps in the 70s...

So, Robert, what kind of setbacks were you talking about? What can we do to help?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.