main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Armor question

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Sithwitch_13, Dec 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithwitch_13

Sithwitch_13 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2002
    As a favor to my boyfriend, I want to make him a Space Marines costume (from Warhammer 40k, which he's obsessed with). I was wondering if anyone knows a way to make light, inexpensive armor (we're both in college and therefore constantly broke). I was considering using wire to make a frame, fitting garbage bags over them, then spraypainting.

2. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    I would suggest researching armor construction online first. The method that you suggest would be approaching the project in a very difficult way, and produce something that would not last and may simply not yield "armor-like" results.

For "low budget" I would suggest methods involving cardboard, paper mache, or bondo (car body-filler). Plastics are also an option. This does not neccessarily mean purchasing sheet plastics: dollar stores carry plastic trash bins, buckets, waste baskets, etc. that can be very cheap and a good source of useable plastics.

Personally, I have made a lot of armours (leather, "ring-mail", chain mail, plate armour, and so on). Leather is a cheap material for armours (relatively) as can be some plate armours. The key is having a working understanding of what armour is, how it functions, and so forth. Research is advised.

I hope that is of some help to you....

~Kai Rhann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.