main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Army of One Man? (2009 Dear Diary Challenge - Final Update 12/31/09)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Corellian_Ale, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    Title: ?Army of One Man?"
    Author: Corellian_Ale
    Timeframe: End of Clone Wars/Beginning of Imperial Regime
    Characters: OC Clones
    Keywords: diary, clones
    Summary: For the 2009 Dear Diary Challenge; a displaced clone who survived the slaughtering of his unit is reassigned.
    Notes: Thanks to MsLanna for goading me into this one.

PM List:
    (let me know if you're listed/missing in error)

Takianna
    VaderLVR64
    MsLanna
    NYCitygurl*
    CT-770492A3
    BigE

[i]
    1,029 days after the Battle of Geonosis[/i]

[i]I don?t even know why I?m doing this?[/i]

When I shipped back to Capitol space after being wounded at Saleucami, I was visited by a bunch of citizens who thought it was their civic duty to visit recovering GAR soldiers and ?cheer them up?. They demanded my room got a brand new holo receiver deck so I could watch dramas while I lay useless in my bed. It was a gesture gone unappreciated I suppose, but they insisted I wasn?t being treated in the manner my ?sacrifice? warranted.

I just wanted to be left alone so I could rejoin the fight, I?m really not interested in those ?freedoms and rights? they insist I should be entitled to. The Movement for Humane Treatment of Clones or MHTC as military acronyms demands. They thought it was an honor when I suggested it. I rolled my eyes and told them I needed to rest.

But they visited me and a few of the others religiously, sometimes storming in on rehab sessions to ?inspect? that we were being treated humanely. Funny thing is, only one of them was actually human.

Military?s public relations department - didn?t know such a thing existed: ?Don?t worry about the War, we got it handled? - asked me to keep a journal of my day-to-day life, just to satisfy the ?freedom moochers?. Take it up with the GAR?s public relations; I didn?t come up with the nickname. Personally, they?d be the last bunch I want with me on the front line, I can see them now getting all teary eyed over the loss of the enemy: ?[i]Oops mister battle droid, it seems I?ve blown your arm off. I?m so sorry, here have some cake[/i].?

Not too long after I was transferred here, a planet called Kamino, but it ain?t Kamino? And the clones here are? [i]odd[/i]. If I was irrational, I?d think I was wrapped up in some secret Separatist plot to infiltrate the GAR.

My designation is CT-8932, but I nicknamed myself [i]Gal[/i]. Heard it somewhere in the barracks a few months back, couldn?t tell you what it means though?

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Ooo, this looks interesting :D If you've got a PM list, please add me!

3. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Another good clone story...

Please PM me with updates.

4. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Wow this is unique, the diary of a clone. I never would have thought that they would keep stuff like that, really interesting!

I'd like to be PM'ed when you update as well.

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very nice beginning.

I love Gal's attitude and I can totally understand his frustration and annoyance with the "freedom moochers".

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I did nothing. Swear![face_not_talking]
    :p
    Good to see you back Ale. And with clones, too.
    You must like me.[face_batting]

Okay, so Gal.
    Like slang 'gal' meaning girl? :confused: Do I want to know about his time in school?[face_laugh] Or maybe he's just in touch with his feminine side... *reads* um, no, probably not...

I love him already, he's got a priceless attitude and though he'd scoff my teary-eyed attention, I'd still have to love him.[face_love]
    I would just like to see what the public does when his diary gets published - like it is now.[face_mischief]

But they visited me and a few of the others religiously, sometimes storming in on rehab sessions to ?inspect? that we were being treated humanely. Funny thing is, only one of them was actually human.

[face_laugh]

I am intrigued where this will lead.
    Pm me with updates, or else.[face_devil]

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    My designation is CT-8932, but I nicknamed myself Gal. Heard it somewhere in the barracks a few months back, couldn?t tell you what it means though?

Looking forward to this one! Please PM me with updates if you could. Thanks!

=D=

8. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    AHHH!!! Clone brothers in abundance. Love it. PM me with updates.

9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Nice intro to Gal, Ale. It seems he doesn;t suffer fools lightly even those who think their intentions are good. It seems, like any good clone, Gal just wants to return to front line to kill battle droids.

I look forward to more.

10. Darth Muis

Darth Muis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Good start there Ale! I loved this line:

?Oops mister battle droid, it seems I?ve blown your arm off. I?m so sorry, here have some cake.?

Damn hippies! [face_laugh]

I'd love to be on the PM-list for this.

11. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Well, well, well? :D

Cool character. If you?ll be doing PM updates, ale, you can sling some my way.

12. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    Wow! Thanks all! I'm writing Gal on the fly, so I'm basically develpoing his personality as we go along. Enjoy!

And "gal" I'm assuming ...is pronounced like the word gall... but what do I know.

[b]Entry 2:[/b]

[i]1,030 days after the Battle of Geonosis[/i]

[i]Why am I doing this again?[/i]

I was looking over my journal entry this morning before I transmitted it to the GAR-PR archives, and I realized my thoughts could be misconstrued as callous or indifferent towards the citizens of the Republic.

Let?s be honest, they really don?t give two damns about me. I was spawned in a test tube, and from the moment of the end of my incubation, I?ve been breed to kill without judgment. No to be honest, that?s the only way a soldier can be, especially if your goal is to live.

I am the Grand Army of the Republic, and the GAR?s goal is to win. It?s paramount over everything else, even living. My gear is my life, and both belong to the Republic. Yeah, I called those busy bodies ?freedom moochers?, but it?s not so much that I have to do the fighting [i]for[/i] them ? let?s be honest, there?s beings in this galaxy that can?t really commit to the nature of war anyway ? but more of the way they look for any little thing to buck the authority of the Republic.

They?re given freedoms and options I?ll never get ? or want ? and they don?t have to lift a finger for it. They choose not to look at the flaws in their imperfect lives, so they fabricate some in others to make them feel better about themselves. I don?t need their help, or [i]protection[/i], they need mine.

I guess that?s what happens in an imperfect system of ?too many freedoms?. The only thing perfect in the Republic is me, us, the GAR. Some day when they open their eyes, they?ll see that their ideals are only as far as me and my perfect brothers will allow. Without us, all their liberties will cease to exist.

13. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    You've managed to pack a lot of meaning into very few words.

I am the Grand Army of the Republic, and the GAR?s goal is to win. It?s paramount over everything else, even living. My gear is my life, and both belong to the Republic. Yeah, I called those busy bodies ?freedom moochers?, but it?s not so much that I have to do the fighting for them ? let?s be honest, there?s beings in this galaxy that can?t really commit to the nature of war anyway ? but more of the way they look for any little thing to buck the authority of the Republic.

Bravo! =D=

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Pretty powerful. I feel bad for him :(

15. Takianna

Apr 22, 2005
    Great Job!

16. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    my thoughts could be misconstrued as callous or indifferent towards the citizens of the Republic

So what? Nothing wrong with a cynic trooper.:D

I am the Grand Army of the Republic

Can I join?[face_batting]

I don?t need their help, or protection, they need mine.

I am all ready to be protected.[face_mischief]
    Just because he's right, doesn't mean I have to like it, right?
    Freedom of choice -> stress. The shiny boys in white are probably more relaxed than anybody else. Of course, raised in a society that values freedom above (almost) everything nobody'll be eager to change anything.

17. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    As a soldier you learn the hard way that even "perfect" is "imperfect" when it is created by the imperfect.

Love the new entry, keep it up.

You are capturing the thought process of any soldier that has been steeped in the "perfect" culture of a military life that must also deal with a civilian one as well. Believe me I know.

EDIT: see even I am Imperfect.

18. Darth Muis

Darth Muis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    That's quite a philosophical clone there... Good job Ale. Looking forward to more!

19. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    He's callous alright, but sensible as well. Both the Republic and the Confederacy have slaves fighting the war.

there is much SF dealing with complancency of humanity once a servant class is introduced (Robots, clones, etc.) I see a litte bit Magnus Robot Fighter, a litte bit I'Robot in Gal.

Magnus, however is a hero, though he resents his own race for their laziness, he protects them.

What about Gal?

20. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    Thanks for reading and all your great comments folks! (it seems silly to reply to all of your posts when this update won't even reach half the length)

Entry 3

1,031 days after the Battle of Geonosis.

I don?t see why I?m still doing this. I guess this is what happens to citizens when they have nothing else to do but lie around and contemplate useless nonsense. Kaminoans will study these tapes and because of my wadding in the pool of freethinking, find a genetic flaw that can be corrected. Your welcome Taun We.

I?ve been transferred off Coruscant, and to?Kamino? I know I keep bringing this up, but something?s not right here general?

Those in the PR department wanted to satisfy with my declarations of free will via freethinking, and personal comfort with this journal are no longer an issue. They?re on the other side of the galaxy by now, and I don?t see them coming to check on my well being anytime soon. Besides, the doctors here hinted they were going to have many more pressing concerns, very soon.

Ooooo? cryptic. It sounds like a commando?s description of Republic intel; although intel reports tend to end in ?ish?.

I could care less about the good intentions anymore. I was born to fight, I want to fight. That?s it. I don?t expect or desire non-clones to understand. Just give me a quick and relatively painless death. Minus, of course, some shaky handed rookie field surgeon trying to save me, by extracting a piece of shrapnel out of my aorta with blaster fire roaring above his head. No thanks.

I?ll take eternity.

21. Takianna

Apr 22, 2005
    I think you've captured the want of the clones to fight very well. They want to get out there.

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I could care less about the good intentions anymore. I was born to fight, I want to fight. That?s it. I don?t expect or desire non-clones to understand. Just give me a quick and relatively painless death. Minus, of course, some shaky handed rookie field surgeon trying to save me, by extracting a piece of shrapnel out of my aorta with blaster fire roaring above his head. No thanks.

I?ll take eternity.

Excellent update! As always. :p

=D=

23. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    I love the fact that Gal (along with some of his vode) can tell that there is something that just isn't kosher about all this.

Good update Ale

24. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    Wha!? ALE!
    And with journal entries, no less!

Ooooo? cryptic. It sounds like a commando?s description of Republic intel; although intel reports tend to end in ?ish?.

Ha! "Very Soon...ish" god, so true.
    Why don't you go ahead there an add me to that there ole' PM list ya got goin, hm? Thaaanks.
    :D

25. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    He looks forward to being reprogrammed? o_O
    Maybe not thinking is just easier. Well, no maybe about it.

I?ve been transferred off Coruscant, and to?Kamino? I know I keep bringing this up, but something?s not right here general?

Like it doesn't rain where you are? o_O
    I'd be worried, too.[face_worried]

[face_laugh]
    wanna be a commando? I think he'd do well. All this free thinking is good practice...

I?ll take eternity.

[face_worried]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.