main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Army Vs. Navy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LuBusVassal, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuBusVassal

LuBusVassal Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    I tihnk theres too much emphasis on Navy and not enough on Army in Star Wars. We have these great space battles and everything but so far only the second movie of each trilongy had a ground battle [and the volume and beauty of them actually makes up for the other but thaz not the point].

And in the books there are never any ground battles. No great big tanks or walkers, no big shoot outs between platoons... nothing. I'd like to find out what armored unit the NR uses for thier ground battles.

Any one agree with me?

... and I fergot bout the gungan-trade fred thing in episode 1

2. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I think by the time of the NJO era, ground battles are an outdated, or at least least preferred, means of conqueoring a planet when an orbital bombardment or blockade suffices. The army is probably used as a means of peacekeeping and cleaning up (like a Kosovo or Somalia type operation).

But with new Clone War books coming out, I bet we'll see more of it.

3. LuBusVassal

LuBusVassal Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    an orbital bombardment leaves u with alot of destroyed things you'd wanna keep and a blockade takes too long.

Send in an armoured unit, duke it out with the local army, calim their base/kill their leader and you have won the planet.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Groundbattles in the NJO would be more brutal than battles against droids or clones.

5. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    The vong should never fight on the ground, they want the land not the stuff on it.

However they're idiots.

Furthermore you're considering the problem wrong, how do you resupply the earth bound forces when the invaders hold the ultimate high ground?

6. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    The ground battles in the NJO are...

Dantooine (nasty fight)
    Gydine (fairly nasty fight)
    Coruscant (really nasty fight)
    Mykr infiltration and Worldship assault (tremendously nasty fight)
    Borelis (mildly nasty fight)
    Yelsia (pretty nasty fight)

Each of those battles were discribed indepth. Even though it was short, Luke and Mara fighting with alongside a turbolaser crew against a horde of Yuuzhan Vong was one of my favorite moments in Star by Star.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Uh, wasn't Ithor a ground battle? The Jedi being forced to slaughter those thousands of Chazrach, bathing in the blood of their incessantly-advancing enemies?

8. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    It's different when both sides want to capture something on the ground, you need ground forces to do that. However it could be argued posisble sucessfully that the Vong should have destroyed Ithor from the start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.