main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph aronofsky's "noah" (trailer)

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Nov 14, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hear Russell Crowe is really crazy in this. Like, he tries to murder his entire family The Shining-style.

2. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    No not the whole family. But yeah he does go nuts. And he does get drunk and naked at the end.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This sounds like an anti-blockbuster. So, basically, every single Aronofsky movie thus far. I'm surprised it's doing so well.

4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm not familiar with his work, but this one makes me want to check it out.

The music, man. Some great dynamic marriage of music, sound fx, and visuals.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, didn't remember we had a thread for this. Oh well, I'll just repost my review from the "last film" thread:

Noah: aka "Right now, William Shatner is yelling 'See?! God *AND* rock monsters! What did I tell you?!'".

This was surprisingly good- it's a real deal, true blue movie trying to tell an honest story and experience, not some hammy faith-based flick trying to preach at you.

Way better than Crowe's Robin Hood (and his brief singing here is better than his Les Miserable efforts ;)) and one of Arnofky's most approachable films (it's not full of near-impenetrable metaphors like The Fountain, for instance) while still exploring the darker facets of the story (like the pseudo-suicide cult aspect of the Noah story) that you'd expect him to.

The cast is also quite solid all around- Crowe carries the film well, Connelly and Watson have a couple good scenes towards the end, Ray Winstone makes for a good antagonist (yet one that doesn't come across as a one-note villain either) and Anthony Hopkins looks like he's actually having some fun here. Kevin Durand even has a brief role (adding to his catalog of religious figures and psychos he commonly plays (and often at the same time- though not in this case)) and Frank Langella as one of the rock monsters.

Speaking of which, the rock creatures really steal the show here, bringing some much needed heart and sympathetic characters for the audience (since it's difficult to fully empathize with Noah given the nature of his task and how cruel his actions must be by necessity in order to carry it out to it's natural conclusion before, during and after the flood), or his family since they're going along with it, or the forces of Cain given they're either all a-holes or innocents caught between).

And I loved how they brought them to life- they have so much character and the way they move is reminiscent of an advanced Jim Henson creation merged with the stop motion animation greats of the past. They really are fantastic given they could have easily come across as some corny, overly-CGI rejected entity out of Lord of the Rings.

Combined with other smaller details introduced throughout the film, they turn a dated mythology into something that feels like a modern mythology with a fleshed out world- you almost wish there were other films exploring the pre-flood world depicted.

Lastly, they apparently filmed this in Iceland. If that cave beach exists in the real world in Iceland and isn't just a computer-enhanced location, I really must go there one day. That was absolutely gorgeous.

Kuro Pit, PRENNTACULAR and FRAGWAGON like this.
  6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Very cool movie, rock monsters were my favorite part.

7. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
  8. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I loved this movie. I really liked how they used the relatively brief Biblical account as a template of sorts for a much larger family drama instead of just doing a completely by the numbers adaptation. The Watchers are surely polarizing but I loved them--it really underscored the mythical nature of the story. I don't mean that in a denigrating way--"it shows what a fairy tale the Biblical story is!"--but rather that by including them it the movie abandons all pretense of being a strict adaptation of the Bible. I obviously can't speak for them but I think Christians can and should enjoy this movie as a story in its own right that borrows the narrative structure and characters of the Bible, not look upon it as some cruel and pale imitation of it. The two time-lapse sequences were absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to watch them again on Blu-Ray.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I loved this movie too. Pulling in ideas from 1 Enoch made it a lot of fun. Having the fallen angels redeem themselves by helping to build and defend the ark is just so damn elegant, God almost certainly wishes he'd written it that way. The movie is as fine an allegory as I could imagine - using the old testament and related source as a stand in for modern, secular apocalypticism.

10. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Really liked it, despite the somewhat wonky plot structure. The whole Genesis sequence was pure cinematic joy.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's... really quite good, actually.

13. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006

this was the only salvageable thing out of the whole mess.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Saw this family on the airplane trip back. Such a bizarre movie, but very good acting. Only loosely based on Exodus. The first half was so cartoonish, but the second half was so so dark, and Noah became a very disturbing character.

15. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, the second half does sorta become like a Lifetime movie (pregnant young daughter, crazy, dangerous father) with CG animals. All that was missing was Valerie Bertinelli or Meredith Baxter.

Despite Godzilla's best efforts, Noah remains the worst movie I've seen thus far this year.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it depends on what you focus on- while the first half is an interesting fantasy epic, the second half of the movie explores the darker aspects of taking the suicide cult-like aspects of the Noah myth further towards a natural conclusion than is typically done. Not something one can often say about a 4,000 year old story. I'd hardly call that a Lifetime movie.

17. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    lifetime movie in the melodramatic garbage sense.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Eh, they don't tend to go into dark psychological territory though. The obligatory showdown with the villain was more distracting than the slasher melodrama.