main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Around the Arena (Qualifying Game 1 Started, Topic 1 Posted)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Thats fine by me - I don't have time tonight for an in depth post anyways.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Let's get to work on Around the Arena.

Today's magic number is five. As in, there are five teams in the NFL that are undefeated. We've got the Patriots, the Colts, the Steelers, the Cowboys and the Packers. And so let's break them down, with the following questions:

->Which of these teams is the strongest, and which is the weakest?
    ->Which will be the last team to lose a game?
    ->Which of these teams is the most surprising to see at 3-0?
    ->Picking from only these five teams, which is the most likely Super Bowl match-up?

Let's go Around the Arena and see what our panel of experts think ...

3. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003

The Patriots and the Colts are the strongest, they're pretty even to me, with a slight edge to the Colts. The Cowboys are the weakest to me, they have a defense that's only looked good against the offensively challenged Bears and a streaky as hell quarterback.

The Patriots are playing the Colts in week 9... I think it's very possible for both those teams to be undefeated at that point. Neither of them really play any great teams until then. The Patriots do play the Cowboys a few weeks earlier, but I don't think that'll be much a challenge. I say the Colts beat the Patriots in week 9 and are the last undefeated team.

I'm a Packers fan and even I'm surprised to see them sitting at 3-0. Their defense has stopped three good offensive teams(Eagles, Giants, Chargers) and Brett Favre just tore up a good San Diego defense. I don't know how long they can keep it up, but in the weak NFC, you gotta imagine they'll make the playoffs.

->Picking from only these five teams, which is the most likely Super Bowl match-up?

I don't think the Cowboys OR the Packers are making it to the superbowl... but the Packers have a better shot. So out of those teams I'll say Packers vs Colts in the Superbowl unless Belicheck comes up with a new way to steal signals, in which case it'll be Packers vs Patriots in a rematch of Brett Favre's first superbowl.

4. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    So... anyone else interested in posting? It's only been two days... :p

5. The_Spoon_Man

The_Spoon_Man Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2007
    tulakhordpwns is banned and therefore cannot reply.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    seriously, dude, it's a gameban. Play with your sock.

7. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
  8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    *sigh* Ok, maybe this wasn't such good timing for me.

Here goes...

Today's magic number is five. As in, there are five teams in the NFL that are undefeated. We've got the Patriots, the Colts, the Steelers, the Cowboys and the Packers. And so let's break them down, with the following questions:

If you only look at the way they've played this season, you have to say the Patriots are the strongest team, as they've decimated their opponents, whereas the other teams have won much closer games. However, if you look at the overall picture, the Colts certainly cannot be dismissed, as they're coming off a Super Bowl victory and actually improved a bit over the offseason. Thus, until they lose (and this only being if someone else, such as the Patriots, has not lost at that point), the Colts have to be considered the strongest team.

As for the weakest, its either the Cowboys or the Packers, and I'm going to say the Cowboys, and the reasons for that aren't things that have really shown up this year - yet. As great a football player as Brett Favre is, he's been known to throw a few interceptions the last few years, and its probably only a matter of time - and likely not much - before we see that side of Favre again. That said, the Packers are clearly a much improved team and I think his numbers will be better this year than the last couple years, but even so, that team will probably struggle more than the others throughout the season.

Again, gotta go with the Colts or the Patriots, quite possibly deciding this when they play each other, as AJ says. I'm going to go with the Patriots being the last to lose a game, but the Colts advancing farther in the playoffs.

Well, its certainly not the Colts, as defending Champs, or the Patriots, who have been a very strong team for quite a few years now. The Steelers aren't far removed from a title themselves either, and still have most of the same players. The Cowboys, while somewhat surprising, did have a solid season last year. But the Packers? The Packers starting off like this is similar to the Saints of last year, whom nobody really expected anything of, because they were bad last year, and are suddenly doing good. This has to be the easiest question of the four.

I'll go ahead and say that the AFC champion will come from the three unbeaten teams there, and more specifically either the Colts or Patriots. As I said earlier though, I give the Patriots the last unbeaten spot, but the Colts going farther in the playoffs... so the Colts therefore returning to the Super Bowl to defend their title. For the NFC, I agree with A_J that the champion will probably be neither the Cowboys or the Packers, but for the same reason why I said that Green Bay was the weakest, and since I'm restricted to those two teams, I'll go with the Cowboys as the team that loses to the Colts this year.

Oh, and I'll say that ideally, if you consider the Super Bowl as supposedly being between the two best teams, then it should be Colts - Pats, but obviously thats impossible since their both AFC. That said, those are the two best teams out there right now without a doubt.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, that's half of you ... what, for days later? Are we actually going to play this game?

10. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Let's be honest, it was probably gonna end up with just me and Rogue at the end anyway. :p

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And if we don't get anything else in the next 24 hours, we'll go straight to show-down. :p

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, I would say that would make for a very quick game... except all the time delayed probably negates that :p

13. The_Spoon_Man

The_Spoon_Man Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2007

Strongest: I'll say the colts, they have the best QB in the league and they won the superbowl last year with a similar team. Though if cheating is factored in the Patriots are strongest. Thats how they won all their championships after all.

Weakest: Cowboys. They simply have not looked as solid as the other 3 unbeatens. Defense wins championships, and the Cobuys have allowed the most yards and points per game of any of these teams.

Either Colts or Patriots, they are the 2 strongest teams, and I say the Patriots survive longer, unless the Colts manage to counteract their spying.

Packers. Unlike the other teams, they were not coming off a spot in the playoffs, and their offseason moves were criticized for not strengthening their offense. They also had to beat a very good Chargers team, who are definitely going to turn it around this year.

Patriots vs Packers
    The Packers are probably not going to make it that far, but they are more likely than the Cowboys. The Cowboys offense is good, but their defense is what will kill them. And the Patriots are going to learn from the spying incedent to fine tune their cheating, which will bring them the Super Bowl win.

14. tulakhordpwns

tulakhordpwns Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2007
    Are we going to keep playing this game?

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Considering it took a week to get three of the four players to respond to the first prompt, I'm going to let it sit for just a little bit. Plus, I'm a little stretched at the moment. We'll try for a reboot here in the near future. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.