Around the Arena (Qualifying Game 1 Started, Topic 1 Posted)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiteeagle Force Ghost

star 6
    Selling this having anything to do w/ long-term damage. Though some people would say they have already long term damaged their playing career by being drafted by Cleveland and the Raiders. I do think its more imperative for them to get in to camp as soon as possible. The QB position in the NFL is the hardest to get adjusted too. Quinn will probably have a more easier time going in, because he ran a pro-system at Notre Dame, than Russell.

I have never been a fan of players holding out, whether for a day or training camp. These players are honored to be drafted into the NFL. And i know its a business and all that but come on people. The only real reason these people hold out is cause the agents want more money on that 10 percent they get.

I mean is there really that big of a difference between 54 million and 56 million? Not really.
  2. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Scoring:

reched: +2
    Misc: +3
    ASG: +2 (but, the Raiders do have Dante Culpepper to hold over as the QB ... so -1 for that)
    whitey: +3

Scoreboard

This round:

Darth-Miscellaneous: 3
    whiteeagle: 3
    rechedelphar: 2
    ASG: 1

Overall:

ASG: 23
    Darth-Miscellaneous: 21
    whiteeagle: 21
    rechedelphar: 13

And we say goodbye to reched ... enjoy your 24 hour game ban, my friend. Out of Bounds is next, with a real dogfight on our hands to make it to showdown.
  3. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Plenty of fallout all over the place from the Boston-Minnesota trade centered around KG. Perhaps the most interesting analysis of all comes from Bill Simmons who (we hope) jokingly says that this is Kevin McHale's last big contribution to the Celtics. McHale, of course, is a Celtics great, who as GM of the Timberwolves, just sent them Kevin Garnet.

I have two questions for our panel:

1) Is there any legitimacy to Bill Simmons claims, or is this just his normal joking self?

2) What team would you want to be the GM of so you could do a bad trade to help a favorite team of yours (and what bad trade would you do)?

Let's go Around the Arena with this one.

(Also, the scores are very close, so you may want to indicate, for tie-breaking purposes, if any of you are posting your response while wearing a tie :p)
  4. whiteeagle Force Ghost

star 6
    Its just his normal joking self. I think now McHale is there as long as he wants to be, that is if the Celtics get back to prominence.

That being said mark my words this trade has a Herschel Walker to Minnesota flavor to it.

I know Kevin Garnett is a great great player, but they gave up to much. You got 4 really good young guys that are 24 or younger, Ratliff who is nothing special and two future first round picks. I know Minnesota fans are probably upset but in 3 years at the most that team is gonna be really loaded.

Now onto part two of the questions. Im a Laker fan. Love em or hate me. So im gonna answer this in two part because of Kobe saying he wants to be a Laker for life then wanting to be traded.

Kobe: Laker for life: I would be the GM of the Timberwolves and send them KG, McCants, two first round picks for Andrew Bynum and Odom. Get Kobe some kinda help.

Kobe: Wants to be traded: I'd be the GM of the Bulls and send them Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas, Duhon, Nocoini and Ben Gordon for Kobe Bryant and a first round pick. The Lakers get a proven point guard, some high energy guys and shooter team them up w/ Odom, Walton and Bynum. And i think the Lakers are right up there again and shippin out Kobe and lettin him rot in Jordan's shadow.
  5. Darth-Miscellaneous Jedi Padawan

1. I think that Bill Simmons was kidding around about Kevin McHale. He just is gushing along with the rest of the Celtics fans about how much improved the Celtics are with their big three of Pierce, Allen, and now Garnett. But, if Boston does not win the East (and I would say that Chicago is still the best team) then, it will be interesting to see how this turns out come playoff time. Yes, the Celtics will reach the playoffs, but depending on who they are matched up against, may or may not decide if they can last all the way to the Finals. With the dominant teams still being in the West, it might not matter who comes out of the East anyway.

2. Well, obviously I'd be GM Danny Ainge. Believe it or not, he is taking some serious heat from the Minnesota fans about this trade. It signals a major rebuilding and makes them potentially one of the NBA's worst teams. But, ?Larry Stamps, Al Jefferson's former AAU coach, was trying to point out the Timberwolves didn't trade Kevin Garnett straight up for his former prodigy; they also received four other players and two draft picks. However, soon he cut through the coachspeak and agreed that Jefferson was easily the key piece the Wolves received in Tuesday's blockbuster deal with the Celtics. Stamps spoke with Jefferson both Monday and Tuesday and said he thought his former player was ?happy about the trade? and ?sounded like he was in good spirits,". So, four young players, Ratliff's cap-friendly deal and two first-round picks even start to sound pretty good when you compare that to what the Philadelphia 76ers got for Charles Barkley in 1993: Jeff Hornacek, Tim Perry and Andrew Lang.

If I was GM McHale, then this is the trade (whether bad or not) that I would do. The NBA needed this to happen. Now, with the Big Three in Boston, the league gets to showcase their marquee matchups and this franchise really had no choice. It has been irrelevant in the shadow of the Red Sox and Patriots, never mind the larger landscape of the NBA. Now, that this trade is accomplished, everyone expects Boston to be amongst the top teams in the East. Their star, "Paul Pierce has generally been careful with his words regarding a trade demand. He always maintained the right of deniability when it came to leaving town. But yesterday after calling the Celtics present situation ?a dream come true,? he admitted he was gazing at the door before the club added Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett,". Making Pierce happy, when he has spent his entire career getting battered on his way to the foul line for one pretender after another, makes it finally worth it and now he deserves to play with a star like Garnett.
  6. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
  7. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Alright ... let's see if this does anything to shake out the close standings

whitey: +3 (love the trade scenarios, and I love the reference to the Hershel Walker trade)
    Misc: +2 (not as much on the creativity front, I have to say)
    ASG: +2 (very predictible ... Steve Nash to the Mavs?) +1 (thanks for answering the tie question) +1 (and for the (alleged) perfect mix of casual and business dress)

Scoreboard:

This Round:

ASG: 4
    whiteeagle: 3
    Darth-Miscellaneous: 2

Overall:

ASG: 27
    whiteeagle: 24
    Darth-Miscellaneous: 23

And so in a very close game, we have to say goodbye to the Misc Man. Hopefully we'll see you next time. But for now ... he gamebanned.

And so we move on to the showdown. ASG vs. whitey. Two posters enter, one leaves with an extra post and a trip to the championship.
  8. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    As first reported here on Around the Arena, the NBA will play a regular season this year, not just have a draft and a couple of blockbuster trades and trade requests and trade rumors. Highlights of the schedule are now available for your viewing pleasure, including a Christmas triple-header, featuring Cavs-Heat, Lakers-Sun, and Sonics Blazers.

Which of those three games is the real headliner for Christmas day?

We go first, to ASG ...
  9. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
  10. whiteeagle Force Ghost

star 6
    Lakers and Suns - Well the Lakers usually keep it kinda close till halftime so yeah....

Cavs and Heat- Great game. You got D-Wade, Diesel taking on Lebron. Lebron's coming off a finals appearance so should be plenty of highlights in this game but not the game to watch.

Sonis and Blazers - This is it. The game to watch on Christmas day. On one side you get the Sonics. They have a couple good guards in Ridinour and Delonte West and an up and coming star in Jeff Green. But the reason to watch is thats right you guessed it. The number 2 pick in this years NBA draft Kevin "cant bench press 185 pounds" Durant leading the charge.

On the other side you got good young players in LaMarcus Aldridge, Jarret Jack and former Dukie Josh McRoberts. Then rookie of the year guard Brandon Roy, a very exciting player along with you know who he is. thats right the number one pick in this years draft. Greg "i look like im 50 years old" Oden.

This game has so many good and great young players. Everyone's gonna watch it. The first matchup of Oden vs. Durant. Its gonna be a classic. Mark it down.
  11. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Good arguments on both sides, but I'm left unimpressed by one of you completely dissing Oden-Durant. So, the point goes to whiteeagle.

Frank Gore has a broken bone in his hand, and Willie Parker has a sore knee. Who should be the most concerned here: The Niners, The Steelers, or Fantasy Football owners?
  12. whiteeagle Force Ghost

star 6
    The Niners and Steelers arent worried. Heck they might be a little joyed. Here's why Gore might now play in the preseason and Parker probably not the first preseason game. This gives gives them more time to rest and get ready for the real season.

Better to have them fully healthy and rested and not play the preseason then to play them in the preseason and something go wrong and they get hurt.These are a couple of top flight running backs here you know.

I think the fantasy owners arent even that concerned either because when they draft these two are going to go in the exact same position they have been going in the, if not higher, last couple years. So yeah no one is worried on either side. These two guys will be fine.
  13. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
  14. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    *fixed
  15. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    neither competitor has the cajones to stick up for the importance of these two, despite my love for the Steelers and an easy way to kiss up to me. Still, at least ASG was able to give a reason why it's neither, with neither being the key cogs to their NFL teams (I'd argue Smith and Big Ben are much more vital), so we'll give the point to ASG.

So, we're tied up at 1-1, and we need a tiebreaker ...

Perhaps ESPN.com's crappiest segment yet ... Who's Now?. Now, as hard as this may be, I want you to ignore that it's a horrible concept with horrible execution, and just look at what they are trying (and failing) to do, and tell me ... who is now?

We start this argument once again with ASG ...
  16. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
  17. whiteeagle Force Ghost

star 6
    ill have a rebuttal but cant do it until late tonite. [face_peace]
  18. whiteeagle Force Ghost

star 6
    Alright well I'm gonna go w/ King James here.

Here you have a man like ASG mentioned who causes absolutely no trouble and just is upstanding person. He is the Jordan of this era. He doesnt complain about how he needs more help in fact he helps make his team better. The difference between him and Tiger is that Tiger had the foundation of two very good parents, we all know about his father Earl. Well James didnt have the luxury of that, even though Eddie Jackson became a father figure its not really the same as having a biological father.

James can identify more IMO w/ his specific community that Tiger can because of how he was brought up not to say Tiger cant but James upbringing, being that he was raised primarily by his mother, is more common among the afican american commmunity than Tiger. Also who have millions of kids that play basketball and now they have someone to look up to that parents can say I want him to be my kids role model.

He is also single handedly bringing people back to the NBA, he is the NBA right now. He was NBA ready when he stepped onto the court. 20 ppg in his rookie season? Come on now Kobe didnt do that, T-Mac didnt do that, neither did Vince Carter. He just finished basically taking his team on his shoulders to the NBA finals and he's only 22 years old.

So the reason im picking him, he can identify with his community, causes no trouble and is the best player in the NBA and right is the NBA. I am out.

19. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Better argument from ASG, but whiteeagle picked LeBron. Decisions, decisions ...

point and game go to ... whiteeagle. I can't help it if I have a pure, unadulterated man-crush on LeBron. And I can't help it that whitey took advantage.

One post of facetime is yours, then we'll start the final qualifying game.
  20. whiteeagle Force Ghost

star 6
    I just wanna say watch out world here come the Yankees. Everybody left them for dead twice. But they're only a half game out in the wildcard and 7 games out for the division.

Bronx Bombers all the way baby !!!!!
  21. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    You used your face time to say "Go Yankees"? I shoulda given that win to ASG! *retroactive mute on whitey*

:p

Well ... we have 75% of the participants lines up for our championship round.

s65horsey, Rogue...Jedi, and whiteeagle will now wait and see who will join them from this, the final preliminary game:

22. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    1. ApolloStatGirl
  23. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    [face_laugh]

Excellent nickname for her!
  24. Kyptsbeengamebanned Jedi Knight

1. ApolloStatGirl
    2. Kypt

I'll give it a go - but I'm not going to give Inty the satisfaction of banning the real me (again).

I might have to do a fair bit of research though.
  25. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    1. ApolloStatGirl
    2. Kypt
    3. Prenn the Great
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.