main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Around The Horn Fantasy League (almost time for a new game)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Darthsuperbatpooh, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002
    wow with 2 weeks of simmed rosters JMJacenSolo is our winner

i'll get official updates up in a sec

2. Darthsuperbatpooh

Nov 29, 2002
    Congrats JMJacenSolo =D=
    i'm glad you stayed with us

Official Results For Friday (Week 4)
    Kevin Blackstone [Free Lance] (Made Showdown = 1pt)
    Tim Cowlishaw [The Dallas Morning News] (2nd Cut = -1pt)
    Woody Paige [The Denver Post] (Won Showdown = 2pts)
    Michael Smith [ESPN.Com] (1st Cut = -2pts)

GM's Submitted Roster For Friday (Week 4)
    AJ - Woody Paige [The Denver Post] (2pts)
    ASG - Jay Mariotti [Chicago Sun-Times] (0pts)
    EmpireForever - J. A. Adande [Los Angeles Times](0pts)
    Inty - Jay Mariotti [Chicago Sun-Times] (0pts)
    JediANGELA - J. A. Adande [Los Angeles Times](0pts)
    JMJacenSolo - Woody Paige [The Denver Post] (2pts)
    Rogue?Jedi - Jay Mariotti [Chicago Sun-Times] (0pts)
    s65horsey - Jay Mariotti [Chicago Sun-Times] (0pts)

ATHFL Standings
    1. JMJacenSolo (13pts) *2
    2. ASG (12pts) *1
    3. JediANGELA(7pts) *3
    4. Rogue?Jedi (6pts) *4
    5. Inty (4pts) *5
    5. s65horsey (4pts) *5
    7. AJ (-1pts) *7
    8. EmpireForever (-15pts) *8
    *Thursday's Ranking

ATHFL Player Of The Week
    3 way tie with 3pts each
    ASG/JMJacenSolo/JediANGELA

thanks everyone for making this a great 1st time experience...it seemed that the point system worked out well (thanks To Inty)...so i will leave this open for discussions on how to make it better...i liked how it came down to the last show...great drama

some things to ponder
    1. point system
    2. game longer/shorter or just right
    3. playoff system...or wait a little while
    4. teams/rosters
    5. do you think we should even do this again??? personally i had fun doing it...and not a lot of work..easier then i thought it would be

3. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

Good game, Juli =D=

The only changes to the game I would make are,

Give 3 points for a win regardless of a sweep or not
    Throw Blackistone in the "Mystery Guest" category.

4. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I finished 14 games out of first place and 14 games out of last place.

I'm the ultimate mediocre ATH player. w00t!

5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Congrats JMJ!

I finished in the positives and tied with Inty! [face_dancing]

6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I try to get points and I can't, I try to lose points and I can't. I am the worst player ever.

7. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Congrats JMJacenSolo :). I had fun with this game, I do wish it was easier to know who was going to be on each day, but it is a game of chance after all. Anyways, well run, and I think after a few days of discussion about any alterations, we should start taking players names for the next game, if pooh feels like running one that is. Personally, I think a week in between games is a good barrier.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Congrats, JMJacenSolo!

I'm the ultimate mediocre ATH player. w00t!

Ironic that you can be 7th of 8 and still say that. Oh, you didn't want me to bring that up? Oops :p

And ASG: IIRC, we're supposed to have another Jeopardy game, then this again... maybe we can use the intervening weeks to discuss changes/improvements.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Rogue...Jedi is correct. This game is on rotation. No new games have been submitted, so it can go again right after Jeopardy.

Congrats to JMJacenSolo. Played well.

I'm glad I lived up to my plan and stayed non-negative!

10. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    I hate this game.

11. Darthsuperbatpooh

Nov 29, 2002
    i had fun doing this and i don't mind doing it again

12. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003

13. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Woody: When you're kicked out of town, act like you're leading a parade.

Tony: I'm sure you know that all too well

Woody: [face_plain]

[face_laugh]

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That was a great quote.. [face_laugh]

15. Darthsuperbatpooh

Nov 29, 2002
    1. i don't think i would have a problem with that (3pts for a win) and maybe 4 pts if they sweep showdown....but we would have to ask Darth_calculus AKA Inty, if that point system would screw us up

2. i would rather keep Blackistone off the "Mystery Guest" list...but that's just me...majority rules here...we can tweak the list a bit

16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think some changes can be made simply to avoid players getting rewarded for picking contenstants who rarely show up.

We've got some time (Jeopardy will run an entire game before we play again) to discuss changes, so we can talk minor changes and in-depth changes.

On thing I think might help is to incorporate actual point tallies. Maybe not actual points, but maybe divided by four, rounded down? Still give bonuses for winning and making showdown on top of those. This way, if you get a guy who is cut first, you're not worse off than the player picking the guys who never show up.

17. Darthsuperbatpooh

Nov 29, 2002
    just for kicks...this is what i originally had as the rules for the game

Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to the first installment of the ?Around the Horn Fantasy League? (ATHFL). This is a little dream of mine to put together, I hope that all the participants will have fun playing. The way I see it in my head is fun, so?maybe. :p. So on to the rules of play.

The Participants
    There will be two types of participants in this game: the commissioner and the GM's.

The Commissioner: Will be yours truly. It will be my job to randomize the draft order, post show results, and update points/rankings. Since this is the first ATHFL, I am open to all suggestions and help (either posted here or PM'ed).

The GM?s: I?m hoping to get 8-16 of you signed up. It is your job to draft your team and send in your weekly roster (talked about later).

Building Your Powerhouse Team
    Once sign-ups are finished, a draft order will be published. When it is a GM's turn to pick, they should post in this thread the person they wish to select for their team. Be warned, however, that you only have 24 hours to select a team member, so it is often a good idea to send a PM to the commish with a selection or two that you would like to make if your turn to pick is coming up soon and you might not be on. If your time expires, you will be "bumped" to the end of the round. If you are bumped twice during the process, you can be removed from the game. There will be five rounds of drafting, which of course means that each team will consist of five peeps. The draft order is reversed at the end of each round. So, if it begins this way:

Team Woody
    Team Michael
    Team Jay
    Team J.A.

Then the next round, it will go

Team J.A.
    Team Jay
    Team Michael
    Team Woody

And, we do that for five rounds.

Another way to fill rosters for teams is through free agency. Free agency occurs only in periods specified by the commish. During these times, you post in the thread a player you are dropping from your team, and a player you are adding from the available list.

Competing

Once the draft is complete, the teams will be divided into two conferences. We?ll have a regular season and playoffs. The regular season will consist of 4 weeks. Playoffs will commence on the fifth week. Each playoff round is one week. Even if ATH only has 3 or 4 shows that week, The round will still only be one week.

Players
    1. J. A. Adande [Los Angeles Times]
    2. Jim Armstrong [The Denver Post]
    3. Kevin Blackstone [The Dallas Morning News]
    4. Tim Cowlishaw [The Dallas Morning News]
    5. Jackie MacMullan [Boston Globe]
    6. Jay Mariotti [Chicago Sun-Times]
    7. Woody Paige [The Denver Post]
    8. Bill Plaschke [Los Angeles Times]
    9. Bob Ryan [Boston Globe]
    10. Michael Smith [ESPN.Com]
    11. Mystery Guests (Ron Borges / Josh Elliot / Richard Justice / Mark Kiszla / Adam Schefter / Dan Shanoff / Gene Wojciechowski / and others)

The Number of clones available for drafting will depend on the number of GM?s that sign up. So if we have 8 GM?s, then 4 J.A.?s will be draftable. If there are 16 GM?s, then 8 J.A.?s will be available.

Regular Season
    At the beginning of each week, GM?s Must submit their Starting Lineup for that week via PM. The Deadline for submitting rosters to the commish is 9pm PST Sunday Night. If the GM chooses to post their roster, that is their choice, but only PM?ed rosters will be accepted. If a GM forgets or doesn?t PM the commish, then the starting lineup will be randomized. After the drafting process each roster will have 5 people on that team. Each week the GM?s will need to submit 1-3 starters and 2-4 bench warmers. If a GM wishes to submit just one starter or two starters, then that is their choice. Some strategy will play a small part in this game. Also you can submit a different group of starters for every day of the week.

Point System
    *Average points of all your players that day.
    *.5 points for making the first c

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Reposting the scoring changes I suggested earlier:

+2 points if your player wins a Showdown
    +1 point if your player makes the Showdown
    0 points if your player is cut during the second cut
    -1 point if your player is cut during the first cut
    +1 point if your player sweeps the Showdown

Maybe change that to +3 for winning Showdown (and still +1 on top of that for sweeping it), and mix the actual scores in with that, as Integral posted above. I might change his divided by 4 to divided by 5 or 6, though, so its not QUITE as slanted towards just picking people who are on the show, but still has an emphasis on picking the winner. And if its divided by 4 or 5, it might be better to skip the rounding down part, and play with quarter or fifth points, making ties less likely and every point important.

EDIT: I'd probably stick with the basic format we had for the first game, rather than an elaborate draft system and such... but that would make it more like a fantasy league :p

19. Darthsuperbatpooh

Nov 29, 2002
    sorry i missed you post R...J

all that seems interesting...over the next few days i'm gonna look at trying to incorporate all the point suggestions and see what we can come up with...as far as drafting...that was just my original thought...but that might be down the line as the game evolves

20. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Just my opinion, but I don't think we need any wholesale rule changes, just some scoring tweaks. No matter how elaborate you make this game, it doesn't change the fact that there's no skill involved whatsoever.

One idea I have is that as part of your roster you have a "contingency player" who you can use once a week in the event your chosen player for a certain day doesn't show up.

21. Darthsuperbatpooh

Nov 29, 2002
    ok this is what i'm thinking for point changes....

~ Each player gets all points earned on show...plus Show Down points
    ~ +1 point for making showdown
    ~ +2 points for winning
    ~ +1 point for sweeping showdown
    ~ -10 points for a player no show

now all points count...if someone gets muted...points deducted, they all count

i put the -10 points so that it would discourage peeps from trying to work the system

this might seem like a lot of points but i've been playing with the numbers for a few days and it comes out to about 25-35 points a day

what do you all think???

22. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    what do you mean a player no show? Like, if we don't send in our list, or our pick isn't on the show?

23. Darthsuperbatpooh

Nov 29, 2002
    yup...like if to pick J.A. for Monday...and he isn't on the show...you get -10 points :)

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't think a -10 penalty is really necessary if we're starting with actual points earned in the game... the automatic 0 if that player isn't on would be a significant enough difference from those on the show to effectively be a penalty.

Also, I would probably increase the bonuses a bit (like +3 for making showdown, +4 for sweeping, +8 for winning... something like that might actually make a difference against the show points, and really reward people for picking winners)

25. Darthsuperbatpooh

Nov 29, 2002
    1. you might be right as far as 0pts being punishment enough...i was thinking -10pts because it would be easy to make up

2. i kept the bonuses the same because i thought it would be unfair to add to an already lead considering the 2 that make showdown already have the 2 highest scores

and again this all subject to change...we can scrap this whole idea...pending opinions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.